Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

hdmi cable connections

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   twilightflyerr

twilightflyerr

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted July 05 2013 - 03:16 AM

72 yr old newbie here asking for help.

Just got me one of those new tv's LG42LN540V and I want to connect up my Sky+ box also my DVD player.

The tv has 2 hdmi sockets and the other two has 1 hdmi connector. Can anyone please tell me what goes where and how, much appreciation in advance.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 05 2013 - 05:48 AM

Welcome to HTF!I'm away from my computer so I can't check your TV manual just yet. I take it that between the Sky+ box and the DVD player, there is only one HDMI output? But the TV has two HDMI inputs?

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,708 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 05 2013 - 08:30 AM

Model number of this dvd player would help.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   twilightflyerr

twilightflyerr

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted July 05 2013 - 10:06 AM

Model number of this dvd player would help.

Hi Sam, thanks for your feedback.The model no. is DS-8668A distributed by 'Argos Ltd', hope this helps

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,708 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 05 2013 - 11:57 AM

I can't find out anything about that DVD recorder, other than it came out in 2008.

Does it have HDMI?

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   tele1962

tele1962

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted July 05 2013 - 12:17 PM

I am sure your DVD player has only a scart connection. I would maybe consider a more up to date option with HDMI. :)

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 05 2013 - 02:04 PM

Hi Ray, I'm back.  Your TV has only one HDMI input, but it also has a SCART input.  If your SKY+ box has HDMI out, you would connect it to the HDMI in of your TV with an HDMI cable.

As for your DVD player, I suspect it has a SCART output as stated above.  That being the case, you would simply connect it to the TV's SCART input with a SCART cable.  Not sure about where the audio goes on the TV, but there is an audio input, and you probably use that (with the usual red/white stereo audio cables).  Unless you connect your audio to a receiver for sound.  But you did not mention a receiver.

Edit: I see that there is a second HDMI input on the side of your TV, so if you get a DVD/blu-ray player with HDMI, you could connect it there.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Steve Tannehill, July 05 2013 - 02:06 PM.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   twilightflyerr

twilightflyerr

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted July 08 2013 - 09:37 AM

Hi Ray, I'm back.  Your TV has only one HDMI input, but it also has a SCART input.  If your SKY+ box has HDMI out, you would connect it to the HDMI in of your TV with an HDMI cable.

As for your DVD player, I suspect it has a SCART output as stated above.  That being the case, you would simply connect it to the TV's SCART input with a SCART cable.  Not sure about where the audio goes on the TV, but there is an audio input, and you probably use that (with the usual red/white stereo audio cables).  Unless you connect your audio to a receiver for sound.  But you did not mention a receiver.

Edit: I see that there is a second HDMI input on the side of your TV, so if you get a DVD/blu-ray player with HDMI, you could connect it there.

Hope this helps!

Hi Sam, sorry I,m late back, just to clarify TV has 2 HDMI, Sky+ has 1HDMI +2 scart,DVD recorder has 2 scart, sorry if I have confused everyone.

Thanks also to tele1962.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 08 2013 - 04:21 PM

Does the TV have SCART?  If so, you can plug in your DVD recorder to it.

Use HDMI for the Sky+ box.

If the TV does not have SCART, consider getting a basic blu-ray player.  It will play DVD's as well, and use HDMI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users