What's new

War And Peace (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
It appears Paramount will be releasing this film on blu ray in France on September 11 for those interested. I have a region free player so if it turns out to be a good transfer will definitely order a copy at some point.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Shows you how much I know! But yes, this is the King Vidor 1956 version with Audrey Hepburn. Amazon France lists it at 208 minutes.It also shows Parasol Pictures ( although maybe they misspelled Paramount ) as the outfit releasing it. Aspect ratio is shown as 1:85.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I know its available on Netflix but, I don't remember if its in HD.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I would not be interested in the Hepburn version but the 1968 Russian version of Sergei Bondarchuk which won an Oscar back then for the best Non-english film. Many people have stated that they think the Bondarchuk film is the best film ever. This film ,sad to say, has no good NTSC version but only the PAL as mentioned by me elsewhere by a post. My post was put incorrectly under Robert Harris. I had it under the thread BEST FILMS not on blue and a moderator incorrectly moved it to under Robert Harris!!! It is an extremly important film which is over 400 minutes long unlike the "excerpt" version of Hepburn. The film is owned by Ruscico

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
Yes, the Bondarchuk is fantastic and I've been patiently waiting for any news of Blu-Ray release. Or heck, even a decent DVD release.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I am very interested in buying this Blu-ray if I can confirm the subtitles can be turned off. Some Blu-ray releases in France, Exodus, Sheltering Sky to name two, do not include an "off" option with subtitles when you select "English" as the language. Sheltering Sky is not a big problem because the movie contains minimal dialogue. Watching Exodus on the other hand without being able to turn off the "English" subtitles would be a real nuisance. I ended up buying Exodus from Amazon Germany through Blu-ray Review because the Blu-ray included an off option for the subtitles.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I have bought blu-rays from both France and Germany. My experience with subtitles on the German releases is that they can usually be switched off from the menu, but with the French titles (eg Violent Saturday) they have to be switched off via the remote control.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I am really surprised about all the talk about the movie "War and Peace", There are really two different versions of War and Peace. There is the short version of the King Vidor 1956 version with Audrey Hepburn. and the much longer and more complete version done by the russian director Sergei Bondarchuk done in 1968 and received an oscar for it and that lasts at least 403 minutes. I have read that there is a 500+ minutes version but have seen no link for that. Look at post no 7 by Martin Teiler.

The problem is that most people in the US are NOT familier with this version because there is no good NTSC version - only a PAL version. I have the PAL version which is region free. It is THAT version that should have a BR so people who appreciate what a good film it is.

I would recommend that when people talk about "War and Peace" they also state WHICH version they are talking about.

The version that I have has russian audio with english subtitles. While my version has a partial english audio - it is not very good.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
While at this movie...Sometimes it would help to say which version you speak of with any movie. There are many movies neutered for US release.Possession (Adjani version) HofE, also known as LL(this movie has vanished in the 86 minute version. Not mentioning the name of this movie...cause it might skirt into the realm of "we don't talk about that one on this forum") is severely neutered.Sometimes you have to be able to buy/play PAL/other regions to get a decent version of a movie.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Sumnernor said:
I am really surprised about all the talk about the movie "War and Peace", There are really two different versions of War and Peace. There is the short version of the King Vidor 1956 version with Audrey Hepburn. and the much longer and more complete version done by the russian director Sergei Bondarchuk . . . . . . I would recommend that when people talk about "War and Peace" they also state WHICH version they are talking about.
I think its pretty obvious that we're discussing the King Vidor/Audrey Hepburn version which Paramount are releasing on Blu-ray in France in September.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Robin9 said:
I think its pretty obvious that we're discussing the King Vidor/Audrey Hepburn version which Paramount are releasing on Blu-ray in France in September.
Yes - to you but others not so familar with War and Peace -no

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
The Russian version is excellent and it would be great if it was restored and on Blu. The Hepburn version is not so good...but nevertheless I'll watch a Hepburn film in Vistavsion on Blu regardless, as the image will be stunning and I do like Nino Rota's score.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Sumnernor said:
Yes - to you but others not so familar with War and Peace -no
Then I suggest they read the opening post in this thread.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Sumnernor said:
The problem is that most people in the US are NOT familier with this version because there is no good NTSC version - only a PAL version. I have the PAL version which is region free. It is THAT version that should have a BR so people who appreciate what a good film it is.

I would recommend that when people talk about "War and Peace" they also state WHICH version they are talking about.

The version that I have has russian audio with english subtitles. While my version has a partial english audio - it is not very good.
I don't think it is quite true that "there is no good Region 1 version of the 1968 War and Peace". The RUSCICO version is widescreen, has the Russian soundtrack in DD 5.1 and English subtitles. It also included a bonus 5th disc which had some interesting special features on the making of the film. The PAL version is supposed to be superior as the R1 is a conversion from PAL. I have both and do not find the PAL version appreciably better (though it does include the mono soundtrack). One simply needs to stay away from the Kultur release which is in 4:3.

I'd probably be interested in the King Vidor version as a rental, to see the film in HD. I doubt I would ever spend as much time watching it as I do the Russian version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks