• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 of 42 OFFLINE   Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted July 04 2013 - 02:25 PM

It appears Paramount will be releasing this film on blu ray in France on September 11 for those interested. I have a region free player so if it turns out to be a good transfer will definitely order a copy at some point.

Edited by Brent Avery, July 04 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#2 of 42 ONLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,777 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 04 2013 - 02:28 PM

With other European territories to follow, I hope.  This is the Audrey Hepburn version, right?

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#3 of 42 OFFLINE   Brent Avery

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor

• 699 posts

Posted July 04 2013 - 02:42 PM

Shows you how much I know! But yes, this is the King Vidor 1956 version with Audrey Hepburn. Amazon France lists it at 208 minutes.It also shows Parasol  Pictures  ( although maybe they misspelled Paramount ) as the outfit releasing it. Aspect ratio is shown as 1:85.

Edited by Brent Avery, July 05 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#4 of 42 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 878 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted July 05 2013 - 12:21 AM

And very importantly another VistaVision title, I hope it's a good one.

#5 of 42 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,332 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted July 05 2013 - 07:04 AM

I know its available on Netflix but, I don't remember if its in HD.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#6 of 42 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted July 05 2013 - 07:32 AM

I would not be interested in the Hepburn version but the 1968 Russian version of   Sergei Bondarchuk which won an Oscar back then for the best Non-english film. Many people have stated that they think the Bondarchuk film  is the best film ever. This film ,sad to say, has no good NTSC version but only the PAL as mentioned by me elsewhere by a post. My post was put incorrectly under Robert Harris. I had it under the thread BEST FILMS not on blue  and a moderator incorrectly moved it to under Robert Harris!!! It is an extremly important film which is over 400 minutes long unlike the "excerpt" version of Hepburn. The film is owned by Ruscico

Edited by Sumnernor, July 05 2013 - 07:42 AM.

#7 of 42 OFFLINE   Martin_Teller

Martin_Teller

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted July 05 2013 - 10:08 AM

Yes, the Bondarchuk is fantastic and I've been patiently waiting for any news of Blu-Ray release.  Or heck, even a decent DVD release.

Edited by Martin_Teller, July 05 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#8 of 42 OFFLINE   Ernest

Ernest

Supporting Actor

• 525 posts

Posted July 05 2013 - 12:37 PM

I am very interested in buying this Blu-ray if I can confirm the subtitles can be turned off.  Some Blu-ray releases in France, Exodus, Sheltering Sky to name two, do not include an "off" option with subtitles when you select "English" as the language.  Sheltering Sky is not a big problem because the movie contains minimal dialogue.  Watching Exodus on the other hand without being able to turn off the "English" subtitles would be a real nuisance.  I ended up buying Exodus from Amazon Germany through Blu-ray Review because the Blu-ray included an off option for the subtitles. 

#9 of 42 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 878 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted July 05 2013 - 02:38 PM

I have bought blu-rays from both France and Germany. My experience with subtitles on the German releases is that they can usually be switched off from the menu, but with the French titles (eg Violent Saturday) they have to be switched off via the remote control.

#10 of 42 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 870 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 02:41 AM

ON Netflix WAR AND PEACE is in HD and it is being released on Blu in France in September.

Ken

#11 of 42 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 08:45 AM

I am really surprised about all the talk about the movie "War and Peace", There are really two different versions of War and Peace. There is the short version of the  King Vidor 1956 version with Audrey Hepburn. and the much longer and more complete version done by the russian director Sergei Bondarchuk  done in 1968 and received an oscar for it and that lasts  at least  403 minutes. I have read that there is a 500+ minutes version but have seen no link for that. Look at post no 7 by Martin Teiler.

The problem is that most people in the US are NOT familier with this version because there is no good NTSC version - only a PAL version. I have the PAL version which is region free. It is THAT version that should have a BR so people who appreciate what a good film it is.

I would recommend that when people talk about "War and Peace" they also state WHICH version they are talking about.

The version that I have has russian audio with english subtitles. While my version has a partial english audio - it is not very good.

Edited by Sumnernor, July 06 2013 - 08:56 AM.

#12 of 42 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,917 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 06 2013 - 09:30 AM

While at this movie...

Sometimes it would help to say which version you speak of with any movie. There are many movies neutered for US release.

Possession (Adjani version)
HofE, also known as LL(this movie has vanished in the 86 minute version. Not mentioning the name of this movie...cause it might skirt into the realm of "we don't talk about that one on this forum") is severely neutered.

Sometimes you have to be able to buy/play PAL/other regions to get a decent version of a movie.

#13 of 42 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts

Posted July 07 2013 - 02:06 AM

I am really surprised about all the talk about the movie "War and Peace", There are really two different versions of War and Peace. There is the short version of the  King Vidor 1956 version with Audrey Hepburn. and the much longer and more complete version done by the russian director Sergei Bondarchuk  . .  . . . . I would recommend that when people talk about "War and Peace" they also state WHICH version they are talking about.

I think its pretty obvious that we're discussing the King Vidor/Audrey Hepburn version which Paramount are releasing on Blu-ray in France in September.

#14 of 42 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted July 07 2013 - 04:32 AM

I think its pretty obvious that we're discussing the King Vidor/Audrey Hepburn version which Paramount are releasing on Blu-ray in France in September.

Yes - to you but others not so familar with War and Peace -no

#15 of 42 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,917 posts

Posted July 07 2013 - 07:47 AM

And there are those of us(raising my hand) who couldn't care less about the Vidor/Hepburn version...

#16 of 42 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 870 posts

Posted July 07 2013 - 08:12 AM

The Russian version is excellent and it would be great if it was restored and on Blu.  The Hepburn version is not so good...but nevertheless I'll watch a Hepburn film in Vistavsion on Blu regardless, as the image will be stunning and I do like Nino Rota's score.

Ken

#17 of 42 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,853 posts

Posted July 07 2013 - 11:03 AM

Yes - to you but others not so familar with War and Peace -no

Then I suggest they read the opening post in this thread.

#18 of 42 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts

Posted July 07 2013 - 11:08 AM

Yes I did, and that does not effect my statement about being various versions.

#19 of 42 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,917 posts

Posted July 07 2013 - 11:56 AM

Waterloo (1970) was(is???) distributed by Paramount...as is at least one other Bondarchuk movie

#20 of 42 OFFLINE   David_B_K

David_B_K

Advanced Member

• 1,506 posts

Posted July 07 2013 - 04:32 PM

The problem is that most people in the US are NOT familier with this version because there is no good NTSC version - only a PAL version. I have the PAL version which is region free. It is THAT version that should have a BR so people who appreciate what a good film it is.

I would recommend that when people talk about "War and Peace" they also state WHICH version they are talking about.

The version that I have has russian audio with english subtitles. While my version has a partial english audio - it is not very good.

I don't think it is quite true that "there is no good Region 1 version of the 1968 War and Peace". The RUSCICO version is widescreen, has the Russian soundtrack in DD 5.1 and English subtitles. It also included a bonus 5th disc which had some interesting special features on the making of the film. The PAL version is supposed to be superior as the R1 is a conversion from PAL. I have both and do not find the PAL version appreciably better (though it does include the mono soundtrack). One simply needs to stay away from the Kultur release which is in 4:3.

I'd probably be interested in the King Vidor version as a rental, to see the film in HD. I doubt I would ever spend as much time watching it as I do the Russian version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users