Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

how to connect cable box, A/V receiver and TV

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   vacantstare

vacantstare

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted July 04 2013 - 07:27 AM

Hello folks, I'm trying to set up an inexpensive home theater with the following components:

Panasonic Viera tc-l37s1

Sony STR-DH540

Motorola DCT 2500

Roku

I have the roku/receiver/tv part working fine, but I am not sure how to get the signal from the cable box to the tv through the receiver.

Cable box has no HDMI, and the receiver has no S-video, so I am using the rca style Video feed.

Initially, the only connection I had from the receiver to the TV was the HDMI, and that worked fine for carrying the Roku signal, but not the signal from the cable box. I worked around it by running the video RCA cable directly from the cable box to the tv, but it seems like there should be a way to pipe that signal to the receiver, then on to the tv.

Do I need one RCA cable from the cable box to the receiver, and another from the receiver to the tv?

thanks!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,736 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted July 04 2013 - 08:18 AM

The Sony 540 doesn't do analog to digital video conversion so you would need a composite connection from the 540 to the display. But s-video is a better option then composite so I would use an s-video cable from the cable box to the display.

"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,514 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 04 2013 - 08:29 AM

Or, call your cable company and upgrade to a HD STB.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Sabby

Sabby

Auditioning

• 7 posts

Posted July 09 2013 - 05:13 PM

You will not get high definition to the TV with S video or composite. Since your receiver does not have component video out your options are to leave it the way you have it wired or get a new cable box.

I would try to get a new cable box as schan1269 suggested

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users