OK, I've given this some thought, and I'm considering all of the AV equipment in my house. I'm thinking that it might be best to let each "purpose" be it's own set of equipment. This way a movie can be going in the theater, different music being played throughout the house, and TV watching in the living room. However, i'm open to any suggestions and feedback. Below are my room configs and my proposed upgrades. I would love some feedback before i go spending money.
- Gigabit networked HTPC as single source for all audio and video (no gaming done here)
- 40" LCD HD TV (no 3d, yet)
- Kenwood VR-407 (capacitors died the other night. Needs replacing)
- 5 Kenwood 100w 8ohm speakers + Sub
- Gaming PC as single source for all audio and video
- Optoma HD20 Projector
- 100" Screen
- Logitech Z5500 surround sound as audio receiver, using 2 in-wall speakers + 2 logitech speakers + logitech sub
Whole Home Audio
- 8 rooms with 2 speakers in each (none powered). Volume control knobs in each room
- Currently no way to use any of these because the previous owner of the house took his amp with him. Doh!
- New receiver with the following criteria
- At least 5.1 channels
- As close to 100w/channel as possible
- 4+ HDMI ports (1.4+ for 3D)
- 4k ready
- At least 1 x Component In
- At least 1 x Optical In
- At least 1 x Digital Coax In
- Prefer posts over springs
- Decode all latest Bluray audio
Whole Home Audio
- Amp that will support at least 9 rooms, probably 10 (i'm going to add speakers to the kitchen)
- Possibly multiple zones
- Some type of box to connect to my network and pull music from storage, stream internet music, and probably airplay
As you can see, i probably don't need a crazy expensive receiver. I'm looking in the $200-$300 range... If I can get networking, airplay, etc., great! However, i don't think i have to have it because all of that can come from the HTPC. It's more important to get noticeably improved (like shocking) audio quality, and reliability (don't want to replace this thing for at least 10 years).
Please give me some suggestions on the above equipment. Will a Yamaha RX-V375 or RX-V573 do the trick? Is Audessey better than YPAO?
Thanks in advance!