Sony Pictures

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#121 of 131 Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,345 posts

Posted July 08 2013 - 11:21 AM

And so--like welcoming the new Georgia delegate--tell us, Joe, where do YOU stand on the whole "The new end credits are too bleak and depressing!" issue?  ;)

#122 of 131 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted July 08 2013 - 11:59 AM

Well, Ejanss, if Mr. Hunt caims to be going back to his original vision,  the only end is with the signiing of the declaration,  no goofy end credits.

#123 of 131 Roger Grodsky

Roger Grodsky

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted July 08 2013 - 12:38 PM

Have you ever seen the STAGE version of The Sound of Music?  It stinks. 

I can rattle off at least six improvements Robert Wise and Ernest Lehmann made, without going back to watch it.

This is O-T, but although I agree that many improvements were made to THE SOUND OF MUSIC, the stage version should be accepted on its own terms.  After all, it won the Tony Award for best musical, tying with FIORELLO and beating GYPSY and ran for more than three years.  I think it's reputation has been hampered by lots of bad productions and directors trying to squeeze film elements into it.

• WilliamMcK likes this

#124 of 131 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,135 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 08 2013 - 02:16 PM

This is O-T, but although I agree that many improvements were made to THE SOUND OF MUSIC, the stage version should be accepted on its own terms.  After all, it won the Tony Award for best musical, tying with FIORELLO and beating GYPSY and ran for more than three years.  I think it's reputation has been hampered by lots of bad productions and directors trying to squeeze film elements into it.

Exactly right and all this poppycock about the original being some kind of failed show is nonsense.  I've seen several wonderful productions of the original version without any of the film elements squeezed in.  But producers today think audiences are stupid and will only watch it if they put in the movie songs, much like Grease.  The original The Sound of Music was a hit - it didn't have the extra songs and didn't need them because it is its own thing.  

• Craig S and WilliamMcK like this

#125 of 131 haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,135 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 08 2013 - 02:18 PM

Some things happen like clockwork.  Makes you wonder if the most vociferous of posters sent a little e-mail missive. :)

#126 of 131 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,496 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 08 2013 - 02:25 PM

Some things happen like clockwork.  Makes you wonder if the most vociferous of posters sent a little e-mail missive. :)

Of course they did as personal agendas have to be adhered to.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#127 of 131 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted July 08 2013 - 02:44 PM

POPULAR

Yeah, at a certain point you just have to step back and realize it's not always possible to understand one another, no matter what efforts are expended.

I will say I'm glad there are so many that love this film and care enough to be passionate about their views.

I hope we'll have a Blu release that will please more than it disappoints sooner rather than later.
  • Peter Apruzzese, Craig S, ahollis and 2 others like this
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#128 of 131 Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Second Unit

• 472 posts

Posted July 08 2013 - 06:58 PM

Yeah, at a certain point you just have to step back and realize it's not always possible to understand one another, no matter what efforts are expended.

I will say I'm glad there are so many that love this film and care enough to be passionate about their views.

I hope we'll have a Blu release that will please more than it disappoints sooner rather than later.

I'm sure that EVERYONE can agree with that statement.

#129 of 131 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,687 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 20 2014 - 07:19 PM

And it will be playing July 3, 2014. Hope Mr. Stone has good news.

http://www.americanc.../content/1776-3
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#130 of 131 Roger Grodsky

Roger Grodsky

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted June 20 2014 - 09:39 PM

You didn't mention that the ad says "new 4K restoration" and also says 169 minutes for the running time!
  • lukejosephchung likes this

#131 of 131 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted June 20 2014 - 10:41 PM

The new DCP will be the Director's Cut. There are no additional or removed scenes.

• lukejosephchung likes this
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony Pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users