• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,531 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 06:48 AM

51uqYkDs37L._SY300_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 7 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,489 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 02 2013 - 07:03 AM

They might as well sell the BD now as it looks like the critics are looking to make this film a box office bomb.  Actually, the trailers don't look good either so the only thing they can hope for is the Johnny Depp fans.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 7 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,782 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 02 2013 - 08:21 AM

...it looks like the critics are looking to make this film a box office bomb.

The joke is that Disney could just about skip the US release and the movie will still make them tons of money overseas.

#4 of 7 bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 880 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 09:26 AM

Disgusting that they are flogging bds/dvds earlier and earlier. Don't they realize they are potentially sabotaging the theatrical take by doing this? I know they see it as taking in more money faster from home video sales, but c'mon!

#5 of 7 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,686 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 02 2013 - 10:14 AM

Disgusting that they are flogging bds/dvds earlier and earlier. Don't they realize they are potentially sabotaging the theatrical take by doing this? I know they see it as taking in more money faster from home video sales, but c'mon!

As a person that works in the theatre exhibition industry I used to agree with your statement. However as time has passed the big releases today are really 4 weeks in and the out in Theatres. This is not due to early home release announcements but the titles playing in three to four auditoriums in one complex for a couple of weeks. They are promoted as must see now and except for forums such as this, the release news is not really assimilated to the general public until after the main and sub-runs.

I do not see any problem with early announcements, only a short release window.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#6 of 7 lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,163 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted July 02 2013 - 10:17 AM

I remember when it used to take not mere weeks, but months and years to wait for official announcements from the studios about their first-run releases being made available on mainstream home video..."Star Wars" & "E.T." immediately come to mind...the fact that we now have such a quick turnover from first-run theatrical release to DVD/blu-ray is both amazing and gratifying to me when I recall that time...

#7 of 7 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,782 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 02 2013 - 10:25 AM

As a person that works in the theatre exhibition industry I used to agree with your statement. However as time has passed the big releases today are really 4 weeks in and the out in Theatres. This is not due to early home release announcements but the titles playing in three to four auditoriums in one complex for a couple of weeks. They are promoted as must see now and except for forums such as this, the release news is not really assimilated to the general public until after the main and sub-runs.

I do not see any problem with early announcements, only a short release window.

Yeah, even huge hits like The Avengers seem to be old hat after about two weeks and people & the media are talking about whatever the new blockbuster of the week is.

Also, I'm pretty sure that these early listings are Amazon's doing rather than the studio (there's never specs or a release date or cover art). Since Amazon isn't earning off of the theatrical take, they couldn't care less what effect that it has.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users