Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

what should I decorate my hometheater room

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   movierfancy

movierfancy

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 01:17 AM

the space of my hometheater is  18*18,pretty large, right?  i just feel that even all the equipments are there, this room is still empty, what else should put in that room?

what you guys have put in your room?

Edited by movierfancy, July 02 2013 - 01:17 AM.

• Acoustic Finishes likes this

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Acoustic Finishes

Acoustic Finishes

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 07:24 AM

Just be careful not to over due glass picture frames, they not only create glare but also add unwanted sound reflection in the room

www.acousticfinishes.net is the best place to start. Combining science with aesthetics is the best way to decorate. Installing adequate absorption and stretch fabric is highly recommended. The walls become the art.

#3 of 8 ONLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,225 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 02 2013 - 07:36 AM

I have 4 rooms with theater/surround...

Main theater with a projector and plasma. That room is purpose built. The walls are acoustic drywall.

Living room(or as well call it, The BAR...Big Ass Room) is 40x40*-ish(never actually measured it). The viewing area is 12x14 with a 50" plasma. The rest of the room is books and collectibles(old cameras, swords, guns etc).

Office is a purpose designed DVD-A/SACD room. It is laid out with acoustic precision in mind...everything else be damned.

Bedroom is a mishmash of "hand me downs" from the main stuff that "used to be new" 4-7 years ago.

*Room is above the garage, and the exact same size. I can park my 1969 AH Sprite sideways in the back corner, pull a '10 Forester up to it with enough room to walk in front and next to it, pull in a '97 F250 ext cab long bed. And still shut the door. Not to mention the deep freeze, lawnmower, tool box, work bench and secondary furnace for the house are all in the garage.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted July 02 2013 - 10:13 AM

Welcome to the forum Max :)

Thats a pretty awesome problem to have.  Im with Erik completely on this one and start your research on acoustic treatments.  Bass traps and absorbing panels take lots of room and make a serious cosmetic statement to any room, to say nothing of the acoustic benefits.  Learn about first and second reflection points, standing waves, ect...and take the time to do it right.   Also do your research on how to build acoustic panels and bass traps, youtube has lots of stuff for you to watch. Theyre fun, cheap and very easy to make yourself with little needed in the way of tools or materials.

JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   movierfancy

movierfancy

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted July 09 2013 - 10:28 PM

the people who have the related problems can also post here,let's make our hometheater a better place

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Acoustic Finishes

Acoustic Finishes

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted July 10 2013 - 05:58 AM

Now that the prices of components have finally come down to a reasonable level, It's time to put the necessary thought into, often the most neglected, room acoustics. I know, when you start dreaming of your theater, the first thing that comes to mind is "the big screen", and then of course a booming sound that rivals the big box movie theater down the street. Not to mention where to put R2D2 and C3PO. And rightly so!

If you remember anything else, remember this. If you want the components you have chosen to sound to their engineered potential, you must treat the room acoustically. It doesn't matter how much you spend on components. Acoustics are equally important as the screen and components themselves. If you are buying from a CEDIA member AV professional (highly recommended), and you treat the room, you will end up with a Best Buy sound, and be very disappointed. If you piece meal your components yourself, and dont treat the room, you will again feel you wasted what little money you had. You will end up with an overpriced "tv room". Your wife will love that.

Today, people are talking about Quiet Rock with Green Glue or resilient channeling or sound dampening add on's to their theaters. This is for what is called STC, (Sound Transmission Coefficientcy). This treatment is for when you want to minimize sound escaping the room, so that the people in another room don't feel like they actually live in Jurassic Park. While STC is important, it is the NRC ( noise reduction coefficiantcy ) that is the most vital. This is to treat the actual theater room itself. The most vital? Yes, because the NRC values in the room will make or break your experience. Its like building a brand new Cadillac, without shocks and struts. It looks good, nice seats, but you get the idea.

STC can be added to your existing theater, but it is much more expensive than building it from the beginning. While NRC is always added after, and can be added to your existing theater at no extra cost. 

Ok, money. If you happen to be the guy who is considering the 20k - 50k projector, and your not considering room acoustics,,,well, do I have to come up with a punch line?

Room acoustics are more necessary and affordable than you think, even if you have a low budget. For those with large budgets, a combination of absorption and diffusion is highly recommended. If your spending light, providing acoustic fabric panels in the key first point of reflection areas, is important. Acoustic Finishes quotes take less than 24hrs. A shameless plug? Yes indeed. But if you want an honest evaluation, you have to start somewhere. Acoustic treatments by way of stretch fabric track systems,acoustic panels, etc.are both scientific and aesthetic. You wont be disappointed!!!

@Acoustic_Finishes

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Type A

Type A

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts
  • LocationPortland Oregon

Posted July 11 2013 - 09:42 AM

Great info Erik.

For anyone interested in the improvement acoustic treatments can make I recommend you watch some videos from RealTraps. The first video is awesome and demonstrates the same room with and without treatment.  Very informative and highly recommended for budding home theater enthusiasts looking to make the most out of their gear and room.  Obviously their demo is over-the-top acoustic treatment of a room but its still a great demo of whats possible:

http://www.realtraps.com/videos.htm 

For materials the DIY can find good prices at ATS acoustics:

http://www.atsacoust...rials--102.html

Best price Ive found for the OC703 insulation panels, you may not be able to find these insulation panels locally (I couldn't).   However ATS's spray adhesive prices are outrageous, your local Home Depot or Lowes is half the price. Places like Jo Ann's Fabrics (or even Walmart) is a great place for fabrics of your choice.  Just remember panel thickness and fabric used is important,  so do your homework.

Both RealTraps and ATS have great FAQ sections and have all the specific info you need on what it takes to build your own panels and effectively treat your room all on your own.  

Addition:  www.buyinsulationproducts.com also sells the OC703.  Did some shipped price comparisons:  a case of OC703 is $82.59,  ATS charges $95.92.    

Edited by Type A, July 14 2013 - 05:04 AM.

JVC DLA-RS60U3D & DaLite High Power 106"
Paradigm Studio V.5 20 (5) & ADP590 (2)  
Hsu VTF-2 MK3 (2) & MBM-12 MK2 (2)

Yamaha RX-A3010 & Emotiva XPA5
Oppo BDP93 & Darbee DVP 5000

*My Home Theater Photo Journal*

#8 of 8 ONLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,225 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted July 11 2013 - 03:11 PM