Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

VEG/Shock's "Hollywood Gold" series upgrades titles to Blu (Australia)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 of 87 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 830 posts

Posted October 08 2013 - 08:14 PM

I just purchased the "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" and "Doctor Dolittle" Blu-rays both from Shock Entertainment.

attachicon.gifjourney.jpg

Journey is clearly the better looking disc.

Sharpness, Colors and gray scale are all quite good.

The Bernard Herrmann subsonic score will really test out your subwoofer. 

I tend to agree that this may well be the same source as the Twilight Time disc.

At around $13 this is a good quality, bargain priced disc of an enjoyable movie.

attachicon.gifdoctord.jpg

To me, Dolittle is a major disappointment.

Despite it being about 2.20:1 and therefore possibly coming from a 70mm source the image quality is mostly poor.

Colors tend to be washed out and the overall picture is brownish (sadly at times almost sepia)

Some of the island sequences show better color, but the majority of the movie stays brown.

The image has an unattractive Video look about it and is not at all film like.

On a couple of occasions purple (drop-out type) bars appeared across the image.(I checked the disc and there were no dirty marks or scratches anywhere)

When compared with other Blu-ray discs from 70mm sources like "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and "South Pacific" then this disc is definitely not in the same league.

Despite all that criticism, it is still watchable and at the low price of around $13 you can't really complain too much. 

I agree with Byron, why haven't they chapter stopped the songs?

Bottom line = When and if it ever gets a US release then I hope it's from a far better source than this one.

Doug.

Does the TODD-AO credit appear in the titles?

#42 of 87 OFFLINE   Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,541 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted October 08 2013 - 09:06 PM

Trajan,

There is NO TODD-AO credit in the Doctor Dolittle titles.

So it's obviously from a 35mm source which worries me because it looks closer to 2.20 than 2.35, but then again maybe I'm mistaken about the ratio.

It is however region free as it played perfectly on my Sony region 1 Blu-ray player.

Edited by Doug Bull, October 08 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#43 of 87 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,131 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted December 05 2013 - 06:39 AM

I'm very perplexed by these releases. I ordered "Lifeboat" via Amazon UK as the listing had it as "all regions". When it arrived, the case was clearly labeled as Region B only. However, it played fine in my Panny blu-ray player which I've verified is NOT a region free player. I've seen these releases (Journey to the Centre of the Earth, etc) listed on websites in both "Region Free" and "Region B Only". Very confusing since the Lifeboat blu played fine for me and I've read other people's (Trajan, above) statements that other titles play fine on Region 1 players. I've ordered "The Devil's Brigade" via JBHIFI, playing a hunch that MAYBE it will be region-free as well. If not, I'll be selling it on Ebay. :)

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#44 of 87 ONLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted December 08 2013 - 08:59 PM

Technically they are listed and marked as Region B, but I wouldn't be surprised if most were in fact region-free. 

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#45 of 87 OFFLINE   atfree

atfree

Screenwriter

• 1,131 posts
  • LocationBoiling Springs, South Carolina

Posted December 16 2013 - 12:26 PM

I'm very perplexed by these releases. I ordered "Lifeboat" via Amazon UK as the listing had it as "all regions". When it arrived, the case was clearly labeled as Region B only. However, it played fine in my Panny blu-ray player which I've verified is NOT a region free player. I've seen these releases (Journey to the Centre of the Earth, etc) listed on websites in both "Region Free" and "Region B Only". Very confusing since the Lifeboat blu played fine for me and I've read other people's (Trajan, above) statements that other titles play fine on Region 1 players. I've ordered "The Devil's Brigade" via JBHIFI, playing a hunch that MAYBE it will be region-free as well. If not, I'll be selling it on Ebay. :)

Received the "The Devil's Brigade" over the weekend. Just like "Lifeboat", both disc and case marked Region B but played perfectly in my Region A player. Based on these 2 purchases, I'm going on the assumption all these are actually region-free and ordering "Journey to the Center of the Earth" asap.

Now you listen to me, I'm an advertising man, not a red herring. I've got a job, a secretary, a mother, two ex-wives and several bartenders that depend upon me, and I don't intend to disappoint them all by getting myself "slightly" killed.  Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant), Hitchcock's North By Northwest (1959)

My Blu-Ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...on.php?u=153595

My modest setup: TV- Panny TC-P46ST30; HT- Panny SC-BTT370 Blu-ray Home Theater System; Satellite: Directv HR24 HD-DVR; Gaming: Sony PS3

#46 of 87 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted February 02 2014 - 08:50 AM

Any reviews of Midnight Lace ? 

#47 of 87 OFFLINE   classicscaper

classicscaper

Agent

• 38 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted March 03 2014 - 08:51 PM

I'm curious as well to see how the blu-ray of Midnight Lace turned out, especially with the TCM DVD coming. I'd much rather invest in the blu-ray, assuming it's a good transfer.

#48 of 87 ONLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 16 2014 - 12:08 AM

I have "Midnight Lace".  Looks crisp, a lot of grain, not a huge leap from DVD but a very respectable disc.

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

#49 of 87 ONLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 16 2014 - 03:38 PM

New titles announced for April 30th (no artwork yet):

* 12 Angry Men

* Judgement at Nuremberg

#50 of 87 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted March 16 2014 - 04:15 PM

Wasn't there a rumor of Man in the Grey Flannel Suit coming out from this company?

#51 of 87 ONLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 16 2014 - 06:47 PM

Merely a rumour.  They have the title out on DVD, but not sure if a Blu-ray is on the cards.  Most of the titles they have released have been out in Europe first, so I think they outsource their HD masters.

#52 of 87 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted March 18 2014 - 08:05 AM

Disappointing to hear but thanks for that.

#53 of 87 ONLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 18 2014 - 11:33 PM

Also set for April 30:

* Inherit the Wind

#54 of 87 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 09:37 PM

I know this group reissued "Marty" in recent years -- considering Ernest Borgnine's following down here, any chance this picture could get the bluray treatment from Visual Entertainment Group/Shock Records as well?

#55 of 87 ONLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 25 2014 - 03:07 PM

I don't know...  Unless this title is out on HD somewhere else, maybe not.  So far all the releases have been titles that have been out in Europe first.  

#56 of 87 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted March 27 2014 - 04:13 PM

Until discovering this thread, I hadn't been aware of these Australian Blus. There are a lot of great titles that I'm interested in. What I am gleaning from the comments posted so far is that even though they are labeled as region B, people are discovering that they are in fact not region-locked? Since Amazon's Australian site doesn't carry movies, where is the best place to order that will ship to the US and which sites are the most econimical?

#57 of 87 ONLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,883 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 27 2014 - 11:09 PM

JB HiFi would be your best bet.  The titles are also for sale via the label's in-house retail partner screenpop.com.au, but I'm not 100% sure they ship internationally.  They do accept PayPal though.

#58 of 87 OFFLINE   Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter

• 1,058 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted March 27 2014 - 11:48 PM

Until discovering this thread, I hadn't been aware of these Australian Blus. There are a lot of great titles that I'm interested in. What I am gleaning from the comments posted so far is that even though they are labeled as region B, people are discovering that they are in fact not region-locked? Since Amazon's Australian site doesn't carry movies, where is the best place to order that will ship to the US and which sites are the most econimical?

Actually I recall that I helped make you aware of at least one of them a while ago - Man of the West in this thread :)

Now that I have a Region Free player, which can switch between Region A and Region B/C modes, I can confirm 100% that Man of the West is definitely playable without any problems in standard Region A mode. This is despite the fact that the case shows a Region B symbol on it. All the feedback I've seen about the other titles in this series indicate that they are all region free too.

As Byron says, the best method for getting them is to order online via JB Hifi here:

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/

They do ship internationally - during checkout you can select the country at the bottom, and it shows the calculated shipping charges. For example, to ship 5 Blu-rays to the US, it costs $18.35. Given the Australian dollar is current worth 92c US, that works out to be around $17. The website is reasonably intuitive, so give it a whirl for yourself.

#59 of 87 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted March 28 2014 - 03:17 AM

Actually I recall that I helped make you aware of at least one of them a while ago - Man of the West in this thread :)

Whoops, am I ever busted! I don't know how I managed to forget about that. JB Hi-Fi does appear to be a fairly economical way to import the titles. I'd like to get Man of the West, Lifeboat, Journey to the Centre [sic] of the Earth, along with Splash, Quiz Show, and While You Were Sleeping. It would all come out to about $15.75 USD per movie.  Unfortunately JB Hi-Fi doesn't appear to carry the Blu-rays of The Unforgiven or Midnight Lace.

Thanks so much for the tip!

#60 of 87 OFFLINE   Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter

• 1,058 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted March 28 2014 - 03:31 AM

You can find The Unforgiven and Midnight Lace Blu-rays at another retailer we have here called Ezydvd:

The Unforgiven

Midnight Lace

Unfortunately they seem to take 7-10 days to ship, and they also seem to charge a bit more for international shipping. But they do sell these Hollywood Gold BDs at a slightly lower price ($11.98 vs. $13.98). You might want to rack up a cart full of the movies you want at Ezydvd and compare the total cost to JB, as it might work out cheaper.

Just a caveat though that JB is by far the more popular seller, and usually has the best deals and the quickest turnaround times. I've used their online ordering system several times in the past and haven't had a problem. I've never used Ezydvd before so I can't personally vouch for them, but they are reasonably reputable so it shouldn't make a huge difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users