What's new

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Deluxe Edition (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

76976_large.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
If this is just the two previous movies edits together I don't need it.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
According to WBshop, the run time on this is 156 minutes and has the following special features:

* DVD and BD: Frank Miller 70 minute piece exclusive to this collection only
* DVD and BD: Cast and crew commentary created specifically for this release
* DVD and BD: Includes all of EC from Batman The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 and Part 2
* BD: 4 exclusive collector cards with never before seen artwork

Ruly2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
The official Running time is 148min. Here is the Trade ad:

Batman_trade_ad.jpg

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I watched this entirely just recently.

I will never in a world of comic geeks, and faithfullness to the source material understand how this got such glowing reviews(check out all the 5 star reviews on Amazon). It is not only baffling it is pretty disturbing.

It has its positive aspects like the voice acting, and the animation(both great).

That is where my praise for it ends.

I believe "The Dark Knight Returns" is one of the best comic series ever. It was certainly groundbreaking, and cool, and awesome.

So what bugs me the most is that people that have never read it will watch this incarnation and think they just viewed the series only animated.

Wrong. The animated feature takes so many liberties, changes so many key scenes of the comic it is laughable. Added dialogue, changed dialogue, no inner monologue for Bruce Wayne/Batman(THIS made the comic book great!) Embellishment for the sake of more action. Yikes! For a true fan of Frank Miller's Batman masterpiece it was like watching a train slowly derail killing everyone on board, and then a dangerous chemical leak from that train releases a toxic cloud around the neighboring town killing all the inhabitants as well.

For those that don't care about the comic book series and the changes then this is probably a decent animated feature. For me though it is a representation of the source material in the vaguest sense only. Why it was even made is a mystery.

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
I've never really been able to get into the comic due to being put off by the grotesque artwork. I find it truly unpleasant to look at. I appreciated the animated movie simply for being able to digest the basic story. For someone only vaguely familiar with the comic, the movie works pretty well on its own.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That was kind of the point of the stor in my opinion.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Bryan^H said:
I watched this entirely just recently.

I will never in a world of comic geeks, and faithfullness to the source material understand how this got such glowing reviews(check out all the 5 star reviews on Amazon). It is not only baffling it is pretty disturbing.

It has its positive aspects like the voice acting, and the animation(both great).

That is where my praise for it ends.

I believe "The Dark Knight Returns" is one of the best comic series ever. It was certainly groundbreaking, and cool, and awesome.

So what bugs me the most is that people that have never read it will watch this incarnation and think they just viewed the series only animated.

Wrong. The animated feature takes so many liberties, changes so many key scenes of the comic it is laughable. Added dialogue, changed dialogue, no inner monologue for Bruce Wayne/Batman(THIS made the comic book great!) Embellishment for the sake of more action. Yikes! For a true fan of Frank Miller's Batman masterpiece it was like watching a train slowly derail killing everyone on board, and then a dangerous chemical leak from that train releases a toxic cloud around the neighboring town killing all the inhabitants as well.

For those that don't care about the comic book series and the changes then this is probably a decent animated feature. For me though it is a representation of the source material in the vaguest sense only. Why it was even made is a mystery.

Pretty much agree with you. I'll go you one better and say that I didn't even think the voice acting was that good...and that includes Peter Weller's Batman, which I felt was flat. They dumb down these adaptations so much (same goes for the YEAR ONE release which hid Selina Kyle's profession) that I have yet to purchase one. Makes me dread the upcoming KILLING JOKE release.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I wish they would dump these comic adaptations and go back to the Justice League universe that was on TV. I still consider that the best comic book adaptation. Batman The Animated Series, Superman The Animated Series, Batman Beyond and Justice League, they don't get any better for perfectly hitting the tone right.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I agree, Russell. I caught up with Justice League Unlimited, Young Justice, Batman: The Brave and the Bold and others on Netflix. I also love the original Teen Titans series. A lot of people didn't care for the tone of Braven and the Bold, but I found it refreshing.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
RJ992 said:
Pretty much agree with you. I'll go you one better and say that I didn't even think the voice acting was that good...and that includes Peter Weller's Batman, which I felt was flat. They dumb down these adaptations so much (same goes for the YEAR ONE release which hid Selina Kyle's profession) that I have yet to purchase one. Makes me dread the upcoming KILLING JOKE release.
I was talking to a friend that said the only thing to make up for this poorly adapted mess would be a Robert Rodriguez live action adaptation. Panel for panel, Like Sin City which he handled perfectly. Hard "R" rating(naturally).

Problem is where would we find an actor to play a late 50's Batman that is 6' 4, and muscular?

Well it sounded good in theory anyway.

RJ992

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joel
Bryan^H said:
Problem is where would we find an actor to play a late 50's Batman that is 6' 4, and muscular?

Well it sounded good in theory anyway.

Af-lack! Af-lack! (hey, if it's true that he might be in for a trilogy, why can't it be the second or third film?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks