Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Taking stock of M.I.A. Paramount Blu-rays...

Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 of 72 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,210 posts

Posted June 29 2013 - 09:16 AM

Dear Paramount, Criterion, Olive, Warner Bros. and whoever else might be licensing titles from Paramount:

The list to follow is just a sampling of the Paramount library I own on DVD which I am especially hoping will emerge on Blu-ray soon (I am not a young man). Warner Bros, you own the bulk of these for a few years, but other than the announced STALAG 17, you seem to be sitting on these... you won't be getting your money's worth at this rate! (What happened to the promising Warner/Paramount double-features you were turning out some months back?)

ATLANTIC CITY
BAD NEWS BEARS
BRIDGES AT TOKO RI
BRINGING OUT THE DEAD
CATCH-22
CHANGING LANES
CIVIL ACTION, A
CONFORMIST, THE
CONQUEST OF SPACE
COURT JESTER, THE
DEAD ZONE, THE\
DESPERATE HOURS (1955)
DETECTIVE STORY, THE
DISORDERLY ORDERLY, THE
DON'T LOOK NOW
DOWNHILL RACER
DRAGONSLAYER
FIVE PENNIES, THE
FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE
FUNNY FACE
GALLIPOLI
GOODBYE COLUMBUS
GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH
HATARI!
HOUSEBOAT
HUD
I MARRIED A MONSTER FROM OUTER SPACE
LADY SINGS THE BLUES
LAST TRAIN TO GUN HILL
LIL ABNER
LITTLE PRINCE, THE
LONGEST YARD, THE
MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE, THE
MARATHON MAN
MOLLY MAGUIRES, THE
MURPHY'S WAR
NAKED JUNGLE, THE
NAKED PREY, THE
NASHVILLE
NEVADA SMITH
NOBODY'S FOOL
NORTH DALLAS FORTY
NO WAY TO TREAT A LADY
NUN'S STORY, A
NUTTY PROFESSOR (1963)
ORDINARY PEOPLE
PAPA'S DELICATE CONDITION
PAPER MOON
PARALLAX VIEW, THE
PHASE IV
PLACE IN THE SUN, A
PLAY IT AGAIN, SAM
PRESIDENT'S ANALYST
PRETTY BABY
RAGTIME
RED TENT, THE
ROMAN HOLIDAY
ROMEO AND JULIET (1968)
SEARCHING FOR BOBBY FISHER
SERPICO
SIMPLE PLAN, A
TARGETS
TERMS OF ENDEARMENT
TIN STAR, THE
WAR OF THE WORLDS
WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE
WILL PENNY
WITNESS
YOU CAN COUNT ON ME

I'm sure this will be added to, but those are titles I would buy day one.

Edited by Dick, June 30 2013 - 08:03 AM.

• davidHartzog likes this

#2 of 72 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,279 posts

Posted June 29 2013 - 09:27 AM

Wow...

The very two Paramount titles I want aren't even listed here.

Heaven Can Wait and Foul Play

• Felix Martinez and lukejosephchung like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 72 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 29 2013 - 09:36 AM

Warner is releasing Marathon Man on 9/10/13

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 72 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,802 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 29 2013 - 09:42 AM

I buy here for FOUL PLAY, L'IL ABNER, FUNNY FACE, HATARI, and THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH.

I would also like to add IN HARM'S WAY, DONAVAN'S REEF, and GREASE 2.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#5 of 72 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted June 29 2013 - 10:05 AM

THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER and GUNFIGHT AT THE OK CORRAL are my two biggest Paramount wants, but I'd like many of the titles the others have listed as well.

• Keith Cobby likes this

#6 of 72 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted June 29 2013 - 10:27 AM

Some of those titles are going to the Warner Archive and will get DVD-reissues.

The Molly Maguires

The Naked Jungle

http://arthousecowbo...print-paramount

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#7 of 72 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 789 posts

Posted June 29 2013 - 10:30 AM

ORDINARY PEOPLE---WITNESS----RAGTIME----ANGELAS ASHES ---CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD.. How much longer are you guys going to make us wait???????

#8 of 72 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,210 posts

Posted June 29 2013 - 10:43 AM

Some of those titles are going to the Warner Archive and will get DVD-reissues.

The Molly Maguires
The Naked Jungle

http://arthousecowbo...print-paramount

Nor interested in DVD's. Blu-rays, please.

#9 of 72 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted June 29 2013 - 10:54 AM

Gunfight at the OK Corral and all the other titles listed, particularly the VistaVision ones. Also please can we have High Society. Thank you.

#10 of 72 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,869 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 29 2013 - 11:00 AM

POPULAR

You know what I want?  More consumers like us that will buy so many units of these catalog titles that it would force the studios to take notice of this very profitable revenue stream.  Sadly, except for a vocal minority on boards like HTF, there just isn't enough of us to entice them to increase their BD output for catalog titles.  It's the reason why I have both my Oppo players region-free modified and why I'm streaming-ready with Roku, Apple, Amazon and other sources of such stream material.  I had to adapt my purchasing ways to fit the current market for catalog titles.  Yes, we can blame it on the studios as that always helps us relieve some of our frustrations.  They're so easy targets anyway for a number of reasons.  However, it's not as simple as that, as the current retailing business, technology advances, mass market buying tastes/habits and the economy plays a major part as to why we're not getting the number of catalog titles we crave on BD.

I just wish there were a lot more of us to force changes in the marketing place so we can feed our thirst for more classic films on BD.

• Frank Ha, Robin9, ahollis and 1 other like this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#11 of 72 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 789 posts

Posted June 29 2013 - 11:04 AM

PLAY IT AGAIN SAM

#12 of 72 OFFLINE   Jeffrey:K

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted June 29 2013 - 11:34 AM

I would add THE APPRENTICESHIP OF DUDDY KRAVITZ, BLACK SUNDAY, HUSTLE, and THE POSSESSION OF JOEL DELANEY to the list.

I believe a Warner rep indicated in an interview I read that SERPICO is forthcoming on Blu-ray, possibly paired with DOG DAY AFTERNOON.

Edited by Jeffrey:K, June 29 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#13 of 72 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,216 posts

Posted June 29 2013 - 12:09 PM

I'd like: A Place in the Sun, Elephant Walk and Ash Wednesday.

Romeo and Juliet (1968) is available on Blu-ray in France and Italy.

#14 of 72 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted June 29 2013 - 12:27 PM

I do think Warners are waiting for burn-on-demand blu-ray to reduce the cost of pressed discs and their distribution. Also, for non-collectors, streaming may be sufficient for viewing films. I will shortly be buying a multi-region player to play Criterion and Olive (now that they are region A coded). 

I am sure like most others I am buying far fewer blu-rays than DVDs simply because the number of (classic) titles being released is much lower. It is a shame about Warners because they control well over half of my most wanted titles.I think the best we can hope for is that over time most of the titles we want will be slowly released by different distributors worldwide.

#15 of 72 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 29 2013 - 12:53 PM

Are Paramount using new masters or old masters with some baked in issues for these Warner bros releases. ?

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#16 of 72 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted June 29 2013 - 01:03 PM

The Desperate House?  :lol:  I know what you meant!

Also The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Funny Face are already available region-free in Europe.

#17 of 72 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,780 posts

Posted June 29 2013 - 03:43 PM

Like others, I certainly wish that more catalog titles were being released on BD and I would agree with Robert that other means such as streaming and imports play a role for enthusiasts who wish to see older films in the best available manner.  

I remember when a lot of the titles in this thread had not yet been released on DVD (I didn't do a comprehensive check to see if they are all were released on DVD).  The point is that eventually a number of the titles were released and I hope the patience of the fans is ultimately rewarded with more catalog releases on Bd.

In addition to a number of the titles mentioned...

The Keep - Not even a DVD release yet.  Will this ever see the light of day?  It seems doubtful, but I can hope.

American Gigolo - More Paul Schrader on Bd please.

Don't Look Now

Bang the Drum Slowly - Haven't seen this in ages but really liked it back in the day.

Danger: Diabolik - I would like to see the production design (if nothing else) in HD.

Seconds is available for pre-order from Criterion in August, otherwise it would also be in the list.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#18 of 72 OFFLINE   atcolomb

atcolomb

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts
  • LocationChicago Area

Posted June 29 2013 - 04:20 PM

I thought i did read somewhere that The Paralax View is coming out on blu-ray soon.

#19 of 72 OFFLINE   PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted June 29 2013 - 05:17 PM

One-Eyed Jacks
PaulaJ

#20 of 72 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,464 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted June 30 2013 - 05:09 AM

Three I'd really love:

L'il Abner

The President's Analyst

In Harm's Way

& I hope there's some way that One-Eyed Jacks can be released.

Edit. And of course not forgetting Samson & Delilah!

Edited by Billy Batson, June 30 2013 - 08:50 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paramount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users