What's new

The Heat Quick Review (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The Heat is a real odd bird. It's basically a typical cop-buddy riff, with the exchange being it's women instead of men. There are a few jokes here that work really, really well.. and a lot that just laugh flat. Part of what makes the best jokes work is that coming out of the mouth of Sandra Bullock, they seem far more.. out of the blue.

Still, there is also something off-putting about this comedy. I think when say, Lethal Weapon came out, the idea of cops who did whatever they wanted was a bit humorous; now, a movie where our heroes: torture witnesses, break and enter into buildings, and in a scene early in the movie basically arrest and charge someone without a crime having yet been committed, the film also comes off like a "let's laugh while police do incredibly illegal horrible things to chase down a criminal".

But while I thought about those moments, the few good laughs made it at least enough for me to give it a barely passing grade.

C

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There were some laughs but I wasn't too into this either. I will say that Melissa McCarthy referring to curtains as "window blankets" is probably going to make me laugh for years to come (I have an odd sense of humor).

In 'defense' of the movie, the women that were in the theater when I saw this were nearly rolling in the aisles. I guess the jokes play better for the ladies and that's not a sexist comment as much as saying that different types of people bring different feelings of what is and isn't funny to a movie.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
To me, the best jokes were the very small ones. "Window Blankets" was one, "your cat ran off on you because you have a miserable life" was another

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it, mining most of its comedy first from the mixing of the loud and cantankerous with the staid and orderly, literally the odd couple of law enforcement with a feminine twist, and then breaking down such initial impressions, digging a little deeper into each of the 2 main character's psyche. The police work aspect is a joke, but the dire situations are played for some painful laughs, most of it works, some of it goes a little dark. But for an R-rated comedy film, it was an amusing way to spend a couple of hours. I did like the chemistry between Bullock and McCarthy.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
After literally months of seeing trailers for The Heat...we both loved it. Is it high comedy? Heck no. But my comedy bar is this: did it make me laugh. And the answer is yes. See, a lot of what passes for comedy today is scatological or just offensive to be offensive. I didn't find any of that in The Heat. I didn't even think it ran too long. Will I end up buying this? Not really...I don't feel the need to see it again like I do Star Trek Into Darkness or Monster's University. There's a lot of screwball comedy in here, more than I expected...and a lot more profanity than I ever imagined.

B+

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks