-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

FOX MOD scope news

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 of 52 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Screenwriter

• 1,931 posts

Posted June 27 2013 - 09:30 AM

A friend of mine, in the industry, with good contacts, called me last night.

Fox is rethinking the MOD program because of

1. no sales on scope films

2. super brad press everywhere.

Serious consideration is now being given to releasing scope films in the proper ration, more than likely beginning with

The best things in life are Free - as that tile drew the most complaints.

#2 of 52 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,327 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 27 2013 - 10:58 AM

I don't think Fox took this program seriously as far as PQ is concern.  When HTF visited their studio last October, I told some of their marketing people about the non-OAR issues and they didn't appear to take what I was saying as a legitimate complaint as they cracked a joke about the term "pan and scan".  Hopefully, they will see the light as I refuse to buy any of their MOD titles, but will continue to support Warner's Archive program.  It's too bad the effort placed in their BD catalog output isn't being used on their MOD program.

• Everett Stallings likes this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 52 JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,513 posts

Posted June 27 2013 - 11:18 AM

Good news I guess in that they're actually acknowledging the major fault with this line.  Quality control is necessary for a studio product like this.  The widescreen films aren't the only problem even many of the academy ratio films suffer from very lackluster VHS-era (or earlier) video presentations.  Also, there are films like Professional Soldier presented with serious video defects that should warrant a recall.

The most glaring screw-up of the line is, not only allowing P&S titles to be in the MOD line in the first place, but putting even the slightest bit of effort in locating the best available transfers instead of grabbing the first one off the shelf.  Films like 23 Paces to Baker Street, Night People, Madison Avenue, and Goodbye Charlie are only a few examples of FCA titles that certainly have superior widescreen transfers (or at least letter boxed) transfers already done and available yet bypassed out of complete indifference (or possibly ignorance).

It's a shame because 20th Century Fox is capable of doing so much better with this line and giving its competitors a run for their money.  Their deep catalog blu-ray releases this year have been outstanding for the most part, but the FCA is sorely lacking and even kinda embarrassing in contrast.

• Everett Stallings likes this

#4 of 52 Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,501 posts

Posted June 27 2013 - 11:36 AM

I think the "duh" factor has finally hit them.  Fox Exec: "Why hasn't our mod program succeeded?  WB Archives is going gangbusters, why aren't we? (Headslap) Oh, DUH!!!"

• Randy Korstick and JoHud like this
See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#5 of 52 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,489 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted June 27 2013 - 04:31 PM

Thanks Joe,

If true, then this is exciting and wonderful news.

Let's hope that they also re-visit and tackle the heinous and abhorrent transfers of some of their earlier 4:3 titles as well.

ps,

Anybody interested in an "only played once" pan and scan copy of "The Best Things in Life Are Free" :D

#6 of 52 Mark Pytel

Mark Pytel

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted June 28 2013 - 05:52 PM

Joe,

Boy I sure hope that this is true. I 100% agree that the program needs to be revisited and that Fox needs to take the criticism to heart and totally rethink how they present their widescreen era films. The Fox catalog has so many great gems that if the program was done properly and up to the same caliber as the WAC, I think that the program could be very successful for them. My only fear is that even if they do get their act together, I just hope that the people will give them a second look or second chance.

I feel that with the right direction, this program could sell just as well, if not better than the other programs, due to the great content that Fox has.

If they truly do start remastering the titles in 16:9 widescreen, there are a ton of films that I would love to own and many more I'd love to request release.

I've been hesitant to request titles for fear that they would come out  pan and scan. Really hoping that Fox turns a new leaf and makes the proper changes necessary to make their program viable and competitive in the MOD market.

#7 of 52 Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted June 28 2013 - 09:16 PM

A friend of mine, in the industry, with good contacts, called me last night.

Fox is rethinking the MOD program because of

1. no sales on scope films

2. super brad press everywhere.

Serious consideration is now being given to releasing scope films in the proper ration, more than likely beginning with

The best things in life are Free - as that tile drew the most complaints.

Unbelievable! Thank heaven Fox has finally woken up!

Thanks Joe,

If true, then this is exciting and wonderful news.

Let's hope that they also re-visit and tackle the heinous and abhorrent transfers of some of their earlier 4:3 titles as well.

ps,

Anybody interested in an "only played once" pan and scan copy of "The Best Things in Life Are Free" :D

You should hold onto it; that disc would make a wonderful coaster.

#8 of 52 Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted June 28 2013 - 09:34 PM

POPULAR

If they really wanted to warm the hearts of film collectors, they would offer an exchange program for any DVD's they subsequently remaster in anamorphic widescreen. A pain in the ass, and expensive, but the goodwill this would engender would make it worth Fox's while.
  • MatthewA, WadeM, ahollis and 1 other like this

#9 of 52 lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted June 30 2013 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for the news Joe.

This may cause them to also offer a wider range of titles to Twilight Time (a few, like APRIL LOVE, were knocked back due to quality issues) and give them an opportunity to re-issue certain titles like VIOLENT SATURDAY (recently released on Blu Ray in France).

"Let the remastering begin!"

#10 of 52 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 817 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted July 01 2013 - 12:04 AM

This is indeed good news. I would buy The Best Things in Life are Free if it was properly reissued and even better if it was released on blu-ray (TT?)

#11 of 52 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,817 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 11:44 AM

Fox waited so long and their catalgue was so rich that I was really hoping that their program would be like Warner Archives.  I've been very disappointed in it, and hopefully it will start to improve.

#12 of 52 Rodney

Rodney

Supporting Actor

• 522 posts

Posted July 01 2013 - 12:48 PM

Let's hope this actually happens. I am concerned because they thought they could throw out an inferior product to us and we would accept it. With that type of leadership in the Fox MOD program, do you really believe they will now do right? I will keep my fingers crossed, but I won't hold my breath.

-Rodney

#13 of 52 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 828 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 06:47 PM

If they really wanted to warm the hearts of film collectors, they would offer an exchange program for any DVD's they subsequently remaster in anamorphic widescreen. A pain in the ass, and expensive, but the goodwill this would engender would make it worth Fox's while.

It would also provide much needed press to highlight that there is a difference between its old and new lines.

• ahollis likes this

#14 of 52 Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 367 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted July 17 2013 - 07:28 AM

They need someone with a PASSION for films to due it right!

Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#15 of 52 Nick*Z

Nick*Z

Stunt Coordinator

• 215 posts

Posted July 17 2013 - 07:38 AM

I volunteer.

#16 of 52 Doug Bull

Doug Bull

Advanced Member

• 1,489 posts

Posted July 17 2013 - 04:43 PM

Going by their latest upcoming release announcements nothing has changed yet.

Anybody for a full screen version of the Cinemascope Musical "Mardi Gras"?

Edited by Doug Bull, July 17 2013 - 04:47 PM.

#17 of 52 ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,604 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted July 17 2013 - 06:56 PM

Going by their latest upcoming release announcements nothing has changed yet.

Anybody for a full screen version of the Cinemascope Musical "Mardi Gras"?

No sale here!
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#18 of 52 Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 351 posts

Posted July 25 2013 - 11:21 PM

I'm a huge Ernest Borgnine fan and bought "The Best Things in Life Are Free" and "Three Brave Men", both panned and scanned to an inch of their lives -- the thought of a remastered 16;9 widesceen version of both would be great (also 'Free' was the final movie of Michael Curtiz) -- could a MOD bluray be even better?

#19 of 52 lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted July 26 2013 - 06:53 AM

The recent announcement of a Panned and Scanned release of APRIL LOVE, a much sought after title once announced for a Twilight Time release, has kind of put a big wet blanket on the above news. Collectors may be tempted to march on Fox and re-enact  another classic Fox title:THE OX-BOW INCIDENT...........

Edited by lionel59, July 26 2013 - 06:54 AM.

#20 of 52 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,780 posts

Posted July 26 2013 - 08:13 AM

I'm a huge Ernest Borgnine fan and bought "The Best Things in Life Are Free" and "Three Brave Men", both panned and scanned to an inch of their lives -- the thought of a remastered 16;9 widesceen version of both would be great (also 'Free' was the final movie of Michael Curtiz) -- could a MOD bluray be even better?

I'd edit out the highlighted passage if I were you.

• nara likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users