Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

A few words about...™ The Odd Couple -- in Blu-ray

A Few Words About

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,610 posts

Posted June 26 2013 - 03:56 PM

There are so many comedy teams -- duos, trios, et al, in the history of cinema, that it's difficult to keep track.

Some love the Marx Brothers, and others detest The Stooges.

One team, very much a "buddy" duo, that stands the test of time to the max, is that of Mr. Lemmon and Mr. Matthau in Gene Saks' The Odd Couple, based upon the Broadway play by Neil Simon, which has an interesting history.

It ran from March of 1965 to July of 1967, and was directed by Mike Nichols.  Originally Mr. Matthau played Oscar and Art Carney was Felix.  Jack Klugman replace Mr. Matthau , who was later replaced by Pat Hingle.  Mr. Carney was initially replaced by Eddie Bracken, and then Paul Dooley.  Each a great cast.

But to me, the casting of Mr. Lemmon and Mr. Matthau by Paramount created one of the quintessential comedy teams in the history of cinema.

Just perfect in every detail.

Which I can also report about the Paramount HD master used by WB for their new Blu-ray of the film.

Colors and textures beautifully mimic the original dye transfer prints, as produced by Technicolor, of this slick Hollywood studio production.

Just a wonderful Blu-ray.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Highly Recommended.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,536 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted June 26 2013 - 04:01 PM

And reasonably priced from Amazon. Mine arrived yesterday, and I plan to spin it soon.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,373 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 26 2013 - 04:59 PM

Great minds and all.  I reported the same thing a couple of weeks ago and expressed surprise at what little had been said.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter

• 1,059 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted June 27 2013 - 03:44 AM

Fantastic, I was asking about this before, and it's good to hear the BD's quality also confirmed by RAH. I've ordered my copy.

#5 of 14 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,668 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 27 2013 - 06:37 AM

I had been waiting to see some reviews before ordering this one. Glad to hear I can now purchase with confidence.

The scene where Felix (Jack Lemmon) is clearing his sinuses in the restaurant is one of the funniest I have ever seen on film. It brings tears to my eyes with laughter every time.

• Professor Echo likes this

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,098 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 27 2013 - 07:31 PM

I had been waiting to see some reviews before ordering this one. Glad to hear I can now purchase with confidence.

The scene where Felix (Jack Lemmon) is clearing his sinuses in the restaurant is one of the funniest I have ever seen on film. It brings tears to my eyes with laughter every time.

In 1968, when I first saw this film at my local movie theater, I didn't think it was that funny.  However, I was a teenager then so it's humor probably didn't fit my demographic at that time.  However, since then as an adult, I find this film very funny and will try to put this BD on my weekend play list.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#7 of 14 ONLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,668 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 28 2013 - 03:52 AM

In 1968, when I first saw this film at my local movie theater, I didn't think it was that funny.  However, I was a teenager then so it's humor probably didn't fit my demographic at that time.  However, since then as an adult, I find this film very funny and will try to put this BD on my weekend play list.

I can definitely understand that. This film does not seem like it would appeal to a teenager growing up in the '60's. I was too young then to see this film during it's initial run, and only discovered it later in life -- after growing up watching the TV series starring Jack Klugman and Tony Randall.

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted June 29 2013 - 11:17 AM

Another blow to the wallet (but, really, it's only money  :laugh: ). Looking forward to this.

Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   BarryR

BarryR

Supporting Actor

• 560 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted June 29 2013 - 11:22 AM

Tiny correction--Matthau and Lemmon had already been teamed in Billy Wilder's THE FORTUNE COOKIE in 1966. Also, Wilder had been tentatively planned to direct ODD COUPLE but Paramount went for the less expensive Gene Saks.

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,373 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 29 2013 - 09:19 PM

I'm not sure I've ever believed that Wilder was in any way seriously considered for Odd Couple - Neil Simon would not have allowed it because Wilder would have absolutely done his own thing with the script.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted June 29 2013 - 11:43 PM

I'm not sure I've ever believed that Wilder was in any way seriously considered for Odd Couple - Neil Simon would not have allowed it because Wilder would have absolutely done his own thing with the script.

The script. That was my first thought, too, when I read that post. I think Wilder most definitely would have tweaked it.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,610 posts

Posted June 30 2013 - 12:57 AM

Agreed.

Mr. Saks, who is still with us, had his directorial roots on Broadway, and a strong ongoing relationship with Mr. Simon.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,098 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 30 2013 - 06:56 AM

I can definitely understand that. This film does not seem like it would appeal to a teenager growing up in the '60's. I was too young then to see this film during it's initial run, and only discovered it later in life -- after growing up watching the TV series starring Jack Klugman and Tony Randall.

I just spent my morning watching the BD and most of the bonus material.  I was cracking up during most of the film especially in regard to Matthau's performance.  His Oscar Madison's role just cracks me up.  Funny how a film can have such a different effect on you, 45 years later.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   BarryR

BarryR

Supporting Actor

• 560 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted June 30 2013 - 09:37 AM

Agreed.

Mr. Saks, who is still with us, had his directorial roots on Broadway, and a strong ongoing relationship with Mr. Simon.

RAH

I should modify what I posted; apparently Mr. Wilder was said to have expressed an interest in directing THE ODD COUPLE (given the two stars), but it also implied he'd rework the script, which was obviously not going to happen!

Edited by BarryR, June 30 2013 - 09:39 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: A Few Words About

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users