Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD

Criterion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1465 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD? (181 member(s) have cast votes)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

1. I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not match in quality (119 votes [65.75%])

Percentage of vote: 65.75%

2. The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadShow release (53 votes [29.28%])

Percentage of vote: 29.28%

3. All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added (9 votes [4.97%])

Percentage of vote: 4.97%

Vote

#1121 of 1466 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 12:11 PM

I gotta say the current bout of internet West Side Story over this has given me a good laugh.

#1122 of 1466 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 4,999 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted September 17 2013 - 12:29 PM

Thank you, Mike.  There is so much truth to that explanation.

It's obvious that MGM could and should have done more with the release, but they just didn't want to 
spend the money for the needed restoration.  I have not even opened up my shrinkwrapped copy of 
the MGM release.  I bought it merely to have it on Blu-ray in case nothing further was ever accomplished.
To me (and I stress TO ME) it is not the definitive version and if I had to watch anything less, I would
rather watch the laserdisc release.  That being said, everyone has been saying that MGM did a very
good job with the transfer of the theatrical version.

Ron, I was merely responding to the posters numerous jabs at the current release as being half assed or botched or whatever. It is not a reflection upon those who want a definitive version..as do all of us here including myself. Plain and simple the current bluray is an excellent transfer of the theatrical version. That was my only point.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#1123 of 1466 Panavision70

Panavision70

Agent

• 29 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted September 17 2013 - 12:33 PM

One of "a few surprises" could be John Wayne as the fireman who climbs the ladder. At that time the best replacements for Tracy were James Cagney or Edward G. Robinson. Either would have been great. 

#1124 of 1466 William Ferry

William Ferry

Extra

• 19 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 01:27 PM

Or, as has been suggested elsewhere...

Jimmy Durante = Buster Keaton ("Smiler" Grogan, yet!)

Sorry, I did the Sterling Holloway - Ed Wynn (the Fire Chief), forgetting that had already been listed. Well, shut my mouth!

Edited by William Ferry, September 17 2013 - 01:30 PM.

• ahollis likes this

:lol:  William D. Ferry

Blackhawk Films Customer #0191462

#1125 of 1466 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,328 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 01:35 PM

Wait--who was originally supposed to play the fire chief? Was it Ed Wynn?

#1126 of 1466 Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 02:07 PM

Re: Ed Wynn as Fire Chief:

As far as I know, it's only an unsubstantiated theory -- but it's a pretty good one, and probably true. Wynn played a fire chief on his radio show for years, and in at least two tie-in films. The IAMMMMW sequence treats the identity of the Fire Chief as a delayed "reveal," kind of implying it's a "gag" cameo, (like Paul Ford as "the Colonel.") But Sterling Holloway hardly suits the build-up. Could have been Wynn, pure speculation. Bert Lahr would have been fun, too, or Jerry Colonna. Isn't speculation fun?

#1127 of 1466 rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 02:13 PM

Again, there is NOTHING wrong with the current blu ray of IAMMMMW. it is NOT "half assed" in any way. It is a excellent transfer of the theatrical version which many if us, including myself, love. You don't like it..fine..but please stop trashing it as if it is a disaster. Thank you.

That's your opinion but to me and a lot of others on here, it will be viewed as half-assed in terms of effort to be more specific as MGM or whomever decided to put that BD version out could have done a lot better job than what they decided to release lengthwise, NOT transfer-wise. Big difference there. Again, if you like this 154 minute version, then so be it and keep it but they could have tried a lot harder and could have done a better job when they released the thing, in my opinion. Read my follow-up statement to you in the next thread.

Edited by rmw650, September 17 2013 - 02:19 PM.

#1128 of 1466 rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 02:18 PM

Ron, I was merely responding to the posters numerous jabs at the current release as being half assed or botched or whatever. It is not a reflection upon those who want a definitive version..as do all of us here including myself. Plain and simple the current bluray is an excellent transfer of the theatrical version. That was my only point.

But at the same time, you made it sound as if it was the very best version and release of the film as you never truly clarified that in your original post to me and despite it being the only Blu-Ray version of the product, you need to understand a lot of us still don't have access or capabilities of Blu-ray and we're just as happy with a standard DVD version with extended scenes and footage included. If you so like it so much, then enjoy it to your heart's content and I never said the transfer wasn't bad whatsoever as i heard it was a solid transfer, but it was a lazy effort by MGM when they released this particular version of the film. That's all i was trying to say to you Tino. You misinterpreted what  I said. You're welcome.

#1129 of 1466 rmw650

rmw650

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 02:25 PM

I think the half-assedness of the Blu is more in how zero time/effort was made in putting any work into presenting everything else on the disc, literally just dumping the deleted scenes reel on there with no context or order, duplicate scenes etc, that was at best quarter assed.

Exactly Moe. THAT was what I was trying to say to Tino and Haines and others on here all along...the transfer was excellent, no argument from me there, but it was the version they released of the film is where they clearly failed in their efforts, hence the half-assed comment so let's hope Criterion will release a solid roadshow version of the movie in both formats when and if they make their official announcement next month or the month after or sometime during the holidays, as I believe it will be coming out, but probably not until the first quarter of 2014 as a best guestimate. Hoping that clears up what I originally stated and I should have been a little more clearer in what I said. My bad on that one.

#1130 of 1466 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 4,999 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted September 17 2013 - 03:41 PM

That's ok. You're forgiven. ;)

Seriously, we all want the same thing. And we WILL get it I'm sure.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#1131 of 1466 BarryR

BarryR

Supporting Actor

• 557 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted September 17 2013 - 03:59 PM

One of "a few surprises" could be John Wayne as the fireman who climbs the ladder. At that time the best replacements for Tracy were James Cagney or Edward G. Robinson. Either would have been great. 

Yes, Cagney would have been an interesting choice. Jack Lemmon easily could've taken the Caesar role, reuniting with THE APARTMENT cast member Edie Adams. Bert Lahr would've made a hilarious biplane pilot (shades of FLYING HIGH!).  Always fun to imagine a parallel universe MAD WORLD. I'm a bit stumped who could've replaced Dick Shawn, except maybe Tony Curtis?  

I read somewhere that Jackie Mason and Joe Besser were considered for the garage guys.  

Edited by BarryR, September 17 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#1132 of 1466 cadavra

cadavra

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 06:24 PM

Yes, Cagney would have been an interesting choice. Jack Lemmon easily could've taken the Caesar role, reuniting with THE APARTMENT cast member Edie Adams. Bert Lahr would've made a hilarious biplane pilot (shades of FLYING HIGH!).  Always fun to imagine a parallel universe MAD WORLD. I'm a bit stumped who could've replaced Dick Shawn, except maybe Tony Curtis?  

I read somewhere that Jackie Mason and Joe Besser were considered for the garage guys.  

Mason was indeed offered Roy or Irwin. He had to decline because he could not free himself from night club obligations for the amount of time needed to film the scenes.

Mike S.

#1133 of 1466 ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Supporting Actor

• 809 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted September 17 2013 - 06:50 PM

Just let Peter Sellers play as many of them as the effects budget would allow.

#1134 of 1466 shoeshineboy

shoeshineboy

Second Unit

• 286 posts

Posted September 17 2013 - 11:34 PM

Spencer Tracy~James Stewart\James Cagney
Sid Caesar~Red Skelton
Ethel Merman~Yvonne DeCarlo\Judy Garland
Mickey Rooney~Alan Young
Milton Berle~Burt Lancaster\Glenn Ford
Edie Adams~Debby Reynolds
Phil Silvers~Jerry Lewis
Jonathan Winters~Ernie Kovacs
Terry Thomas~Stewart Granger
Buddy Hackett~Andy Griffith
Dorothy Provine~Ann Margaret

Heck, just reunite Kramer with the cast from Judgement at Nuremberg....

Edited by shoeshineboy, September 17 2013 - 11:37 PM.

#1135 of 1466 BarryR

BarryR

Supporting Actor

• 557 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted September 18 2013 - 03:33 AM

Red Skelton would've been a natural in this mix. Can't picture Lancaster or Granger adding much hilarity. I also can't think of anyone who could've matched Ethel Merman--absolute genius casting.

I like the Nuremberg angle!

:lol: 

Edited by BarryR, September 18 2013 - 04:16 AM.

#1136 of 1466 trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 570 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 08:06 AM

The delay is is due to the fact that the 3- D conversion is taking longer than expected. Can you see it now--the car coming off the cliff---the fire engine ladder twisted and turning.

Edited by trajan, September 18 2013 - 08:07 AM.

• Moe Dickstein and sidburyjr like this

#1137 of 1466 Carl LaFong

Carl LaFong

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 08:33 AM

Kovacs was originally signed to play Melville, but was already dead by the time shooting began.

Dick Shawn = Elvis Presley

#1138 of 1466 BarryR

BarryR

Supporting Actor

• 557 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted September 18 2013 - 10:01 AM

Kovacs was originally signed to play Melville, but was already dead by the time shooting began.

Dick Shawn = Elvis Presley

Now there's a thought--but can't imagine him doing it without a few choruses of "31 Flavors."

Edited by BarryR, September 18 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#1139 of 1466 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,198 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 10:16 AM

I gotta say the current bout of internet West Side Story over this has given me a good laugh.

You know, after Mad, Mad World happens, I'd love to see Criterion re-visit West Side Story (another UA title) and fix the Overture.

• MatthewA likes this

#1140 of 1466 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,336 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted September 18 2013 - 10:22 AM

You know, after Mad, Mad World happens, I'd love to see Criterion re-visit West Side Story (another UA title) and fix the Overture.

How about getting the roadshow versions of "Hawaii" and "The Alamo" in HD.

• ahollis likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users