Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD

Criterion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1465 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD? (181 member(s) have cast votes)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

1. I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not match in quality (119 votes [65.75%])

Percentage of vote: 65.75%

2. The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadShow release (53 votes [29.28%])

Percentage of vote: 29.28%

3. All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added (9 votes [4.97%])

Percentage of vote: 4.97%

Vote

#901 of 1466 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,025 posts

Posted August 30 2013 - 10:07 PM

...the old saying goes good things come to those who wait.

Just another in the long series of old sayings that are untrue.

However, based on what Ronald Epstein said directly above, I'm still allowing my hopes to be high. :unsure:

#902 of 1466 OFFLINE   cb1

cb1

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts
  • LocationD/FW, TX

Posted August 31 2013 - 06:48 AM

Thank you Mr Epstein for saying that. I can't wait and it will be a day one for me!

• William Ferry likes this
Thanks!
Chris

#903 of 1466 OFFLINE   mark brown

mark brown

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 07:10 AM

While we are speculating and waiting, are there any rumors regarding Criterion interest in the "other" MGM orphan, The Alamo?  

#904 of 1466 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 533 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted August 31 2013 - 03:54 PM

Mark,  I posted the very same question on this site in June under the heading "Alamo Restoration". Robet Harris posted in response that MGM has no interest in saving the film . Total shame .

#905 of 1466 OFFLINE   Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin

Supporting Actor

• 641 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 04:06 PM

Mark,  I posted the very same question on this site in June under the heading "Alamo Restoration". Robet Harris posted in response that MGM has no interest in saving the film . Total shame .

And by now it could probably be used to clean the coffee maker.

• Stephen_J_H likes this

#906 of 1466 OFFLINE   Reed Grele

Reed Grele

Screenwriter

• 1,039 posts
  • LocationBeacon Falls, CT

Posted August 31 2013 - 04:52 PM

And by now it could probably be used to clean the coffee maker.

My grandma used to say: "You can catch more flies with sugar than with vinegar". But I'm not sure what it would take to change MGM's mind about The Alamo.

#907 of 1466 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,014 posts

Posted August 31 2013 - 06:28 PM

Just another in the long series of old sayings that are untrue.

However, based on what Ronald Epstein said directly above, I'm still allowing my hopes to be high. :unsure:

And now that Criterion has this in their possession, the wait will be damn well worth it and hoping we get the most extensive version of this movie available and we all can be happy, once it get released to the general public. Just hang tight Joe.

• ahollis likes this

#908 of 1466 OFFLINE   mercyflight

mercyflight

Agent

• 49 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 11:50 AM

Have you seen the ladder climax?  No ladder would ever behave in that fashion.  It defies physics.  It's like it's possessed.  And the way the bodies fly and land is NOT logical at all.  That's one of the things that makes me compare parts of the film to Here's Lousy, as you like to call it.  Slapstick, like some thrillers, doesn't always benefit from being scrutinized too realistically.  Sometimes, you're just supposed to go with it and have fun.      

My take on that, John, is that up to the fire escape sequence, the film is played as SORT of real, the Indiana Jones/James Bond theory that if one was one really good shape and REALLY lucky, the character will survive. There are no cutesy comedy angles, etc. trying to sell a gag. 
 It is only in that last section of the film that everything changes, and it is literally a cartoon. If the film was presented that way thru-out, it would not have

worked. Throughout the film we see these occasional "Gods Looking Down at the madness of it all" shots, and the last one occurs after the money flies off. We hear the most thundering threatening version of the Mad World theme, and the Gods have had enough! From that point on, it IS insanity and is illogical. No, those wide shots of the ladder looks hardly real, but its no less breathtaking.
I really feel that's one of the GREAT things about the film; it starts with a very strong realistic foundation but by the very end, it's taken you (and the characters) where you would never expect.

Edited by mercyflight, September 02 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#909 of 1466 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,210 posts

Posted September 02 2013 - 01:38 PM

My take on that, John, is that up to the fire escape sequence, the film is played as SORT of real, the Indiana Jones/James Bond theory that if one was one really good shape and REALLY lucky, the character will survive. There are no cutesy comedy angles, etc. trying to sell a gag. 
 It is only in that last section of the film that everything changes, and it is literally a cartoon. If the film was presented that way thru-out, it would not have

worked. Throughout the film we see these occasional "Gods Looking Down at the madness of it all" shots, and the last one occurs after the money flies off. We hear the most thundering threatening version of the Mad World theme, and the Gods have had enough! From that point on, it IS insanity and is illogical. No, those wide shots of the ladder looks hardly real, but its no less breathtaking.
I really feel that's one of the GREAT things about the film; it starts with a very strong realistic foundation but by the very end, it's taken you (and the characters) where you would never expect.

I don't know if I agree that things get cartoonish only at the end. The demolition of the gas station at the hands of Jonathan Winters is about as extreme as anything on the fire escape, and occurs well within the first third of the film. There are other sequences that come close.

#910 of 1466 OFFLINE   ScottHM

ScottHM

Second Unit

• 319 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted September 02 2013 - 01:57 PM

I don't know if I agree that things get cartoonish only at the end.

I agree with you.  In fact, things start getting unreal about the time the bucket sails.

---------------

• Stephen_J_H likes this

#911 of 1466 OFFLINE   chas speed

chas speed

Second Unit

• 402 posts

Posted September 03 2013 - 01:02 PM

I  haven't gone through this whole thread, but I was stunned when I saw how good this title looked on one of the HD channels, but when I rented the Blu-ray release it didn't look half as good.  I hope they will finally release a rematered print of this.

#912 of 1466 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,358 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted September 03 2013 - 01:06 PM

Hmm...the bluray has pretty much been universally praised as looking and sounding terrific.
  • Moe Dickstein likes this
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#913 of 1466 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,339 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 03 2013 - 03:56 PM

I  haven't gone through this whole thread, but I was stunned when I saw how good this title looked on one of the HD channels, but when I rented the Blu-ray release it didn't look half as good.  I hope they will finally release a rematered print of this.

Well, something is clearly wrong somewhere, because the Blu-ray is spectacular and I've seen the HD broadcast and it is anything but spectacular.  I never understand this stuff :)

• Tino likes this

#914 of 1466 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,053 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted September 03 2013 - 05:22 PM

As an owner of the MGM release, I will be looking forward to this; not necessarily for a vast improvement in picture quality, but for what Criterion brings to the table.

• Moe Dickstein likes this
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#915 of 1466 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 757 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted September 03 2013 - 06:41 PM

I waited FOR YEARS to see Metropolis in the vain hope that the missing footage would be found. People called me stupid, and told me to just "go watch the film already!" Well, I waited, and look what happened? A miracle!

Now, I wasn't so patient with Mad World. I broke down and bought the DVD. Also the Blu Ray. However, I didn't watch the whole thing... just the beginning 20 minutes or so. Then, I found this thread, and my heart skipped a beat. I am just as anxious as you all are, and knowing Criterion, I know how good... nay, GREAT, the release will be. AND, having read Ronald's post, about Criterion working with people in the know, and what fans want, I am EVEN MORE excited.

Like Ronald said, "Patience." :)

• ahollis likes this
I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#916 of 1466 OFFLINE   Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname

Second Unit

• 301 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 12:57 PM

Well, something is clearly wrong somewhere, because the Blu-ray is spectacular and I've seen the HD broadcast and it is anything but spectacular.  I never understand this stuff :)

I haven't seen it on an HD broadcast, but agree that the Blu Ray is spectacular.

I watched it the day I briught it home from Wal Mart. My jaw nearly hit the floor when I saw how good the PQ was/is. If it had been priced at double the $10 price tag it still would have been the bargain of the year.

• Tino and ROclockCK like this

#917 of 1466 OFFLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 900 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 01:08 PM

"what Criterion brings to the table"   this use to be the case, but the last release I can remember that had a nice and big extras section was the

Last Emperor    They still do some things ,the still file is a memory

#918 of 1466 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,141 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted September 04 2013 - 02:14 PM

With Criterion's recent move to Dual-Format packaging, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around what that might mean for the media contents of this set. I mean, if Criterion is planning this as some kind of the 'restaurant-at-the-end-of-the-universe' version of the film, plus the usual complement of features, are we looking at 5 or 6 (or more) discs here? Or features only in SD? 

Something tells me I need to think about reinforcing all of my Criterion shelves... <_<

#919 of 1466 OFFLINE   Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 495 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 02:51 PM

I can see this as a 5 disc set (2 Blu-rays and 3 DVDs) in a digipak.

#920 of 1466 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted September 04 2013 - 04:22 PM

There have been MANY big bonus feature laden releases sine Last Emperor...
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Criterion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users