Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Criterion ready to release IT’S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD

Criterion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1465 replies to this topic

Poll: How would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD? (181 member(s) have cast votes)

How Would you want Criterion to handle MAD WORLD?

1. I would like to see *everything* that was included on the Laserdisc release even if it does not match in quality (119 votes [65.75%])

Percentage of vote: 65.75%

2. The film is too long already. Would only want to see those scenes intended for the original RoadShow release (53 votes [29.28%])

Percentage of vote: 29.28%

3. All I want is the overture and exit music. Don't need all those extra scenes added (9 votes [4.97%])

Percentage of vote: 4.97%

Vote

#21 of 1466 ahollis

ahollis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,130 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 26 2013 - 01:14 PM

I'm for a Roadshow release, including the police calls during the intermission. Going to be fun to see what this is all about.
  • MatthewA likes this
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#22 of 1466 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted June 26 2013 - 01:19 PM

POPULAR

Trying to follow these suggestions of possible scene inclusions and lengths is not unlike trying to follow the arguments on how to divvy the shares.

Edited by Charles Smith, June 26 2013 - 01:20 PM.

• MatthewA, ahollis, Escapay and 1 other like this

#23 of 1466 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• PipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted June 26 2013 - 01:26 PM

POPULAR

There's scenes enough for everybody.

There's scenes for YOU

And scenes for YOU.

And you...

(Backs away and runs)
  • Mark B, Escapay, BendurTailpipe and 1 other like this
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#24 of 1466 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,506 posts

Posted June 26 2013 - 01:48 PM

Perhaps Criterion could do some great stuff with "branching" that 

would satisfy everyone.  Not certain if this is something they regularly

do or not.

I don't know anything about the technology of doing it, but that seems like the ideal solution.  It's certainly what I favored for 1776.

#25 of 1466 JoHud

JoHud

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted June 26 2013 - 01:48 PM

One option would be to offer more than one cut of the film, perhaps using seamless branching to keep it on one disc (as Mr. Epstein suggested).

I voted for everything, though I lead toward "roadshow only" footage with the rest as supplements.

Edited by JoHud, June 26 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#26 of 1466 John Morgan

John Morgan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 26 2013 - 01:49 PM

First off, I hope they would first, correct/add several little things for a new release.

**The OVERTURE is cut too closely, actually there is a bit of overlap, to the start of the MAIN TITLE. There should be a few seconds of silence between them.

**The MGM BluRay leaves off the Entr'acte Music at the Intermission. This had to be an oversight and would like to see it corrected.

**And I really would like to hear the original police calls audio back into the intermission. This has been restored to the 70mm prints being circulated currently.

As far as the longer version, I think this would only be wise through seemless branching or by choosing what version you want in the menu.

Personally, I would want (in the film) only scenes that make story sense, and are legit Roadshow footage and NOT workprint segments or trims made even before the Roadshow version or segments that may only have sound and no picture or visa versa. Films with stills and such (LOST HORIZON 1937, A STAR IS BORN 1954) take me out of the story and MAD WORLD being a comedy, certainly would require smooth transitions. Again, my opinion and preference.

I think the MGM transfer is almost perfect...maybe a bit of tweeking on contrast. The sound is also very good, but I think it could be a bit more dynamic. I don't mean a complete new sound mix from the 6 tracks, but maybe a little boost in the surrounds for the music, and perhaps some discreet sound in the surrounds. I know surround wasn't used back then like today, but I really miss hearing the bucket tumble down the hill in the surrounds when they have that reversed POV. And I think the music dynamics can be made a bit more immersive.

It is one of my favorite films...I saw it at the right age and was frustrated how close the new Blu-Ray was, but not quite there.

#27 of 1466 Escapay

Escapay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted June 26 2013 - 01:53 PM

In 2002, I recorded a copy from TCM (which I assume is the laserdisc edit), then compared it to MGM's DVD when I acquired it in 2004.  I posted it to IMDB, you can see it under the lengthy listing that begins with "The following is a comparison of the DVD versus the TCM print."  I was in college and had a lot of free time on my hands, lol.

After comparing both versions, most of the scene extensions seem extraneous and unnecessary to me, so I usually just watch the general release.  But I'll be content with whichever version gets released.  I have yet to hear these legendary police calls during intermission, so I'm looking forward to those.

Actually, if any additional footage is included as supplements, I hope its presentation turns out better on this rumoured Criterion release than on MGM's DVD and Blu-Ray.  Those discs provide a whole hour's worth of material, but there's no rhyme or reason to it.  It's literally just one long reel of scenes, not in proper order, some of them repeating themselves, some with theatrical footage spliced in, and some of them lasting only a couple seconds.

Perhaps Criterion will be releasing a set of Kramer films in November.  I certainly wouldn't mind Judgment at Nuremberg or On the Beach getting Criterion-ized.

EDIT:

Probably of no interest to anyone, but I found my original list!   :lol: It was safely tucked away in the DVD, which I hadn't watched since I bought the Blu-Ray.

MadWorldList.jpg

I feel a little bit like Melville Crump.

Edited by Escapay, June 26 2013 - 02:19 PM.

• MatthewA and ahollis like this

#28 of 1466 Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 26 2013 - 02:04 PM

POPULAR

Look! We've figured it seventeen different ways, and every time we figured it, it was no good, because no matter how we figured it, somebody don't like the way we figured it! So now, there's only one way to figure it. And that is, every man, including the old bag, for himself!

• Moe Dickstein, Escapay, Professor Echo and 2 others like this

#29 of 1466 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Advanced Member

• 5,332 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted June 26 2013 - 02:08 PM

You know, I am going to spin the laserdisc this weekend as a refresher.  The last time I saw it was in the 1990's.

#30 of 1466 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• PipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted June 26 2013 - 02:10 PM

Last time I watched this I was showing it to a friend. I decided to show him the Blu, but it was hard to watch cause I kept missing things from the LD. After it was over I decided to show him what was cut so I put the LD in and just skipped around to the cut scenes lol. We both agreed that stuff was better in.

Edited by Moe Dickstein, June 26 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#31 of 1466 rayman1701

rayman1701

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationOutside Chicago

Posted June 26 2013 - 02:18 PM

I haven't seen the laserdisc, and really am excited about getting the stuff put back in. If this happens with the longer cut and interimission police calls, ect. Then I'm definately in for this. I really like the blu-ray, but give me more, more more!

\m/︶︿︶)\m/

#32 of 1466 Dale MA

Dale MA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted June 26 2013 - 02:49 PM

I voted for everything from the Laserdisc but would actually like everything that was listed within the poll.

#33 of 1466 Ejanss

Ejanss

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted June 26 2013 - 02:59 PM

Look! We've figured it seventeen different ways, and every time we figured it, it was no good, because no matter how we figured it, somebody don't like the way we figured it! So now, there's only one way to figure it. And that is, every man, including the old bag, for himself!

Maybe if Criterion added "Million Dollar Mystery", as a bonus feature?  :)

#34 of 1466 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• PipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted June 26 2013 - 03:00 PM

And Rat Race from Paramount :)

#35 of 1466 ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted June 26 2013 - 03:09 PM

Will this release come with a pooper scooper?

#36 of 1466 Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted June 26 2013 - 03:16 PM

I'm a bit surprised that Robert Harris who has reviewed all the deleted footage has yet to weigh in.  This could be a good sign as I'm sure he would be 'consulted' on a new restoration effort!

Edited by Paul Rossen, June 26 2013 - 04:14 PM.

• Mark B and ahollis like this

#37 of 1466 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• PipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted June 26 2013 - 04:11 PM

I'd guess that if RAH is involved he'd be unable to talk until the official announcement
  • ahollis and Escapay like this

#38 of 1466 Escapay

Escapay

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted June 26 2013 - 04:16 PM

I'd guess that if RAH is involved he'd be unable to talk until the official announcement

So perhaps his silence here is a good thing...

#39 of 1466 Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted June 26 2013 - 04:17 PM

Agree...

#40 of 1466 darkrock17

darkrock17

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Posted June 26 2013 - 04:18 PM

If this rumor is true it's going to be great fall this year for classic releases and re-releases.  Fingers and toes crossed for the long awaited original 1963 permiere length or as close as they can get to the originial length.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users