What's new

The 1962 remake of "State Fair" (1 Viewer)

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Always found it puzzling why it was released on video back in the 'day' but only found it's way to DVD as a glorified extra in the 1945 version package.

It has a lot going for it - a starry cast (Ann-Margret, Pat Boone, Bobby Darin, Alice Faye), gorgeous CinemaScope visuals, splashy dance numbers and that R&H score.

I think it's a strong contender for Twilight Time or even via Fox itself... although I've heard rumours that the original elements have issues (perhaps Bruce Kimmel may enlighten us - I believe he helped put together the 1945/62 "State Fair" soundtracks package for Varese way back when).

Attachments

• 999670_10151601957627779_1637157713_n.jpg
    999670_10151601957627779_1637157713_n.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 54

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Yes, I was at Varese when we did the State Fair soundtracks. I don't think Fox has a hi-def transfer of State Fair - although I may be confusing it with another title of similar vintage. I can ask for you, though.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
That would be great - I'd love for this title to receive a Blu-ray release at some point. Thanks for answering so quick, Bruce - you are great.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
It should be pointed out that "State Fair"(1962) is currently part of a Rodgers & Hammerstein ongoing project to fully restore the remaining 7 theatrically-released films in their musical catalog: "Oklahoma!"(Todd-AO & Cinemascope versions), "State Fair"(1945 original & 1962 remake), "Carousel", "The King & I" and "Flower Drum Song"...that's a HUGE undertaking for the R&H Estate, along with Fox and Universal, the 2 studios involved in this massive project...patience is the key for blu-ray fans still waiting for these movies to arrive in store shelves and our libraries...

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I was certainly delighted to get the 1962 State Fair as a bonus feature on the release of the 1945 musical. I hadn't seen it since its theatrical release, so it was a wonderful surprise and greatly appreciated. I certainly hope it is being worked on for a high def release and not just as an add-on still in SD for the eventual release of the 1945 State Fair on Blu-ray.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I thought STATE FAIR '62 looked pretty darn good on the DVD. The only "wide screen" master available prior was 1.85:1 so it seems they actually did a fresh transfer, and it showed.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
There's a big hair onscreen during parts of the "Isn't it Kinda Fun" number that needs to be fixed. Plenty of screen tests (Ann-Margret testing for Margy sings a complete "It Might As Well Be Spring," Andy Williams sings a bit of "All I Owe Ioway" and a beautiful version of "It Might As Well Be Spring" and tests opposite Barbara Eden) could be added as extras. They were included on the second release of "The Sound of Movies."

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
As long as people are looking at the 1945 and 1962 State Fair, perhaps they could consider the nonmusical original 1933 version. It was nominated for Best Picture, and is the only one of the three that interests me.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Yes, the Will Rogers version is still MIA on home video. Even the Fox Archives haven't released it. I'd certainly appreciate it if it got some sort of release, even as an extra.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks