What's new

Ouya's $99 videogame console challenges pricier Xbox, PlayStation? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Have you even heard of this company? Below is their press release...

Ouya's $99 Android videogame console goes on sale on Tuesday, the latest attempt by a growing crop of niche hardware makers to chip away at a market dominated by Sony Corp, Microsoft Corp and Nintendo Co Ltd.

Ouya hopes its cheaper cube-shaped console will prevail over the long-established gaming triumvirate's pricier hardware. The new device has more than 150 free-to-try games, media features such as Flixster and radio service TuneIn, and an open ecosystem built on Google's Android operating system.

Founded by Julie Uhrman, a former executive at entertainment website IGN, the hackable, or customizable, device will go up this Christmas season against the $399 PlayStation 4 and $499 Xbox One. Both are packed with exclusive blockbuster titles from top developers, cloud gaming and other social features .

Ouya is going after core console gamers, as well as the mass market of college students, young adults and families that plays mobile games and is price-conscious, Uhrman said.

"Ouya is not an 'either-or' decision," Uhrman said. "It stands on its own and it's something that gamers are going to want in addition to whatever device plays the game that they've been playing for the last five years."
Ouya and other hardware companies, big and small, are hoping to claw their way into a global video games market expected to touch $66 billion in software and hardware sales this year, up from $63 billion in 2012, according to research firm DFC Intelligence.

Who's stepping up?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
As an Ouya backer / owner I can tell you: Not a chance in hell of any kind of domination.

It's a terrific first effort. Round two might be compelling. But its the lessons learned here that are more important than any real market saturation that is likely to occur.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what Ouya is trying to be. If you imagine that there are a few groups of gamers (hardcore, PC hardcore, casual, etc.) then I have no idea which group is really their audience. My best guess is that they're trying to appeal to hardcore games that want to play casual/android/mobile games in a "legit" way (on your TV) but it just seems like it won't work. It's a good idea that isn't going to take off.

Also, it seems like it's a $100 piece of hardware that is, well, exactly what you'd expect from a $100 piece of hardware.

Having OnLive is awesome and I see this being great for the homebrew/emulation crowd, but pretty much nothing else.

Ruly2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Josh
A funny thing is that some Best Buys in the USA will not carry this item in their stores

Afiger

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
I've never even heard of this company. I don't really want to shell out a hundred bucks for a console that might not be worth it either. Do they have a decent selection of games yet? My concern would be where would I keep buying games and so on...I dont really want to have to keep shopping online for everything...

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I would like to pick up the Ouya sans controller, since it appears to be the part that's the least worthy of your money (I already have a PS3-like BT controller). It would be great for emulators as well as streaming movies from my server. I could just set up a cheap-o monitor and throw this on there for a really cheap retro gaming/media rig. If the BT stacks weren't so broken in JB, I could already do this with my Note 2 and MHL cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks