Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Under the Dome Season 1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#61 of 194 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,488 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted July 09 2013 - 12:24 PM

Who carries matches around with them?

Considering that the power is out in most places in the town, matches would be a practical thing to carry on you.

#62 of 194 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,862 posts

Posted July 09 2013 - 02:35 PM

Considering that the power is out in most places in the town, matches would be a practical thing to carry on you.

I don't know...it's 2013...I'd go with a lighter then.  Or a flashlight.  I don't think I've even had matches in my house in 15 years.  Maybe smokers still have them?

#63 of 194 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,054 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 09 2013 - 06:27 PM

It's like Angie's protected from the idiot rays down in the fallout shelter. She's the only one acting how I imagine someone in their situation acting.

I had to laugh at the juvenile delinquent girl making her big stand by asserting 19th century federal legislation -- against a waste particle high school bully under a dome where the federal government has no reach.

Liked the exploration of the tunnels. Liked the diner owner's comment about it being a small town that was going to keep getting smaller.

I'm half waiting for "Pumped Up Kicks" to start playing every time Junior's on screen.

#64 of 194 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,569 posts

Posted July 09 2013 - 07:09 PM

I don't think it's that bad. But I can see how some people will start asking when things will start to happen, when will we be getting answers. I doubt we'll be getting any answers soon.

I don't want answers.  I one of the biggest fans of LOST and BSG, and if you read through those season threads, you'll see that at no point was I complaining about the lack of answers or how the shows left too many unsolved mysteries (quite the opposite, actually).

I just think the show is poorly-written, poorly-acted, and just overall bad.  It's odd, too, since I'm a fan of pretty much everything else Brian K. Vaughan has done (especially his work in comics and on LOST).  Just a miss for me this time.

Oh well, I won't crowd the thread with negativity.  Hopefully others continue to enjoy the show!

#65 of 194 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,488 posts

Posted July 09 2013 - 07:57 PM

It's odd, too, since I'm a fan of pretty much everything else Brian K. Vaughan has done (especially his work in comics and on LOST).

I'm enjoying the show well enough but I hope that no one thinks that this series is indicative of BKV's other work. I'm assuming that since it's a network television series, there's constraints on him (be it budget or content or just having to work with a much bigger group of collaborators) that he doesn't have in comics where he is an absolute master of his craft.

#66 of 194 Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,569 posts

Posted July 09 2013 - 08:16 PM

I'm enjoying the show well enough but I hope that no one thinks that this series is indicative of BKV's other work. I'm assuming that since it's a network television series, there's constraints on him (be it budget or content or just having to work with a much bigger group of collaborators) that he doesn't have in comics where he is an absolute master of his craft.

Agreed.  It was his name (and not King's) that brought me to the pilot.  A master, as you wrote.

#67 of 194 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,862 posts

Posted July 09 2013 - 09:17 PM

I don't want answers. 

I just think the show is poorly-written, poorly-acted, and just overall bad. 

I completely agree with those two statements.  It's not the lack of answers that's hurting the show.

Don't know much about Brian K Vaughn.  Did he do anything else in TV other than write a handful of 'Lost' episodes?

#68 of 194 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,488 posts

Posted July 10 2013 - 03:57 AM

^ Nope. He was on Lost from about 2/3 through the third season until the end of the fifth season.

#69 of 194 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,508 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted July 10 2013 - 08:39 AM

I don't know...it's 2013...I'd go with a lighter then.  Or a flashlight.  I don't think I've even had matches in my house in 15 years.  Maybe smokers still have them?

You must not be a fan of candles. Any kind of jar candle is much easier to light with a match, than a lighter. Unless they're wet, matches can also be more dependable than lighters which can sometimes be flaky or run out of fuel.

I've cancelled my season pass to this show. I read a recap of the last episode and it was so far away from King's story I just deleted the third episode without watching it.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#70 of 194 Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Screenwriter

• 2,862 posts

Posted July 10 2013 - 08:54 AM

You must not be a fan of candles. Any kind of jar candle is much easier to light with a match, than a lighter. Unless they're wet, matches can also be more dependable than lighters which can sometimes be flaky or run out of fuel.

Oh, we've got candles.  We just have seemingly an unlimited supply of those camping style lighters with the long extension.

Although I will admit I have yet to find one of those that lights up 100% reliably, so maybe I should switch to matches.  Although I'm not sure what good a match will do for a jar candle that is more than half way burned out.

#71 of 194 Afiger

Afiger

Agent

• 43 posts

Posted July 10 2013 - 07:40 PM

I saw the pilot episode of this and it was pretty intriguing! I just haven't had a whole lot of time to catch the last episode. I hope it lives up to the pilot because I'm sort of at a loss for shows to watching this summer...

#72 of 194 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted July 11 2013 - 11:55 AM

I didn't know who this Vaughn is, so I read the Wikipedia entry on him. He's a comic book writer as you guys have said with noted accomplishments in that world. Funny how the Lost writer recruited him and that gave rise to his dabbling in screenwriting.

It said he did the adaptation treatment for the series some time ago. Also it lists upcoming episodes and he's credited as writer for an episode airing July 22. While the director may mess it up, perhaps his episode will raise the bar some.

#73 of 194 Stan

Stan

Screenwriter

• 2,038 posts

Posted July 11 2013 - 01:01 PM

I completely agree with those two statements.  It's not the lack of answers that's hurting the show.

Don't know much about Brian K Vaughn.  Did he do anything else in TV other than write a handful of 'Lost' episodes?

Josh and Scott, I'm fast losing interest in this show. I'll give it a few more weeks, but I don't know after that.

Been looking forward to this since the teasers started showing up a few months ago, pilot was really good, but episodes 2&3 really didn't do much for me.

Stan

#74 of 194 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,488 posts

Posted July 11 2013 - 02:33 PM

I didn't know who this Vaughn is, so I read the Wikipedia entry on him. He's a comic book writer as you guys have said with noted accomplishments in that world. Funny how the Lost writer recruited him and that gave rise to his dabbling in screenwriting.

DC Comics/Vertigo's site has the first issue of his Y: The Last Man comic up for free here: http://www.readdcent...ital-comic/3015 Take a look at it and you'll see how he was writing Lost-style cliffhangers before Lost existed.

And just a heads up, Vaughan's work tends to be R rated.

#75 of 194 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,204 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 11 2013 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the link to Y. That's on my wishlist, so a chance to try a free first episode is good.

I enjoy Under the Dome, but it has problems: too many insane idiots.

The Priest is an idiot. He didn't mean to set the house on fire, I don't think. He just wanted to burn the evidence. But he's an idiot and kicked the waste bin to the curtains.

Junior is hard to watch, and the main insane idiot. But he plans ahead to take a helmet, which he didn't wear, into the Cement plant tunnels, but doesn't take a string to find his way back through dark tunnels he doesn't know?

Then the deputy who goes bonkers. Sigh.

Joe's new best friend is a typical high school teen age boy idiot. But so many.

And now we learn that Big Jim is a psycho nut. I guess that makes sense of Junior. But how many violent lunatics do I need in one show? Not this many.

Still. I enjoy the origin of a story. The revelations. The unfolding of character motivations. I'll keep watching.

#76 of 194 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,488 posts

Posted July 11 2013 - 06:31 PM

I enjoy Under the Dome, but it has problems: too many insane idiots.

I don't know if it's something from the book but I was thinking the deputy was right and the dome is pushing some people over the edge into mental illness. That would explain the relatively high number of people who have already turned into insane idiots.

Edited by TravisR, July 11 2013 - 06:35 PM.

#77 of 194 todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,860 posts

Posted July 12 2013 - 07:24 PM

Been watching..but, I repeat what I said previously. This is a show that needs to be a one season and done. If not it just starts to drag.
  • JohnRa likes this
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#78 of 194 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,204 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 14 2013 - 05:26 AM

I don't know if it's something from the book but I was thinking the deputy was right and the dome is pushing some people over the edge into mental illness. That would explain the relatively high number of people who have already turned into insane idiots.

i hope not. That's one of my least favorite story-telling tropes: the tech made me crazy! I like good guys and bad guys to have agency and motives. Having crazy puppets is much less interesting to me. (Except in the rare bit of brilliance, like the "puppettime" episode of Angel, they really are crazy puppets!)

#79 of 194 MarkMel

MarkMel

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts

Posted July 16 2013 - 07:12 AM

I too thought this was supposed to be a one season show. Not sure I'm going to hang in there.

Most of King's books do not translate well to Film/TV, I've read almost all of them.  With a couple of exceptions, The Shining (the Kubrick one that King hated), Carrie, Stand by Me, Misery - I can't think of any others.

The problem for me is that as a reader, the images that I come up with in my head are far scarier/believable than what they come up with for the screen. So the movie will almost never be better or even as good as the book.

• JohnRa likes this
"and no one seems to understand the glory of guitar, when out of tune, the off timing, the singers who can't sing, - the beauty of flaw!"

"I apologize if there is anyone in this room I have not offended" - Brahms

My Band - Charlie Don't Surf! https://www.facebook...arlieDontSurfCT

#80 of 194 Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,127 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted July 16 2013 - 07:40 AM

I too thought this was supposed to be a one season show. Not sure I'm going to hang in there.

Most of King's books do not translate well to Film/TV, I've read almost all of them.  With a couple of exceptions, The Shining (the Kubrick one that King hated), Carrie, Stand by Me, Misery - I can't think of any others.

The problem for me is that as a reader, the images that I come up with in my head are far scarier/believable than what they come up with for the screen. So the movie will almost never be better or even as good as the book.

Add Shawshank Redemption to the list of good King adaptations.

So far I'm finding this show to be watchable, but not great. I hate the idea of it going for more than a single season, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users