Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Under the Dome Season 1

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
193 replies to this topic

#41 of 194 OFFLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted July 05 2013 - 06:27 AM

Non-spoilery comment: I like the touch that the dome is impervious to sound. If air doesn't move through it easily, it makes sense that sound wouldn't either.

Anti-spoiler (something in the show that will be different than the book):

Spoiler

Edited by Greg Kettell, July 05 2013 - 06:38 AM.

#42 of 194 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,822 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 05 2013 - 07:11 AM

Was totally into the Pilot. Haven't watched ep 2 yet. Wondering if Bruce Willis was first choice for the used-car guy, but they had to get a less expensive actor!

#43 of 194 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,961 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted July 05 2013 - 08:24 AM

It's nice for Amazon Prime subscribers to be able to stream the show, but CBS.com doesn't have the best way to get there.

I also thought there were a number of "idiot ball" moments in the second episode, namely burning the papers inside the house (and of course how quickly everything caught on fire). 

I've never been in a situation where people start panicking and do stupid things, so some of the behavior, like the cop shooting the gun at the dome, I can accept.

#44 of 194 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 12,084 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted July 05 2013 - 08:57 AM

Non-spoilery comment: I like the touch that the dome is impervious to sound. If air doesn't move through it easily, it makes sense that sound wouldn't either.

Air doesn't move easily through a closed window either, but someone inside can usually hear noises (birds, traffic, etc.) or people talking outside even with the window closed.

If they've established that small amounts of air and water can penetrate the dome, that would seem to make it even more permeable than your standard window glass.

The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#45 of 194 OFFLINE   Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell

Screenwriter

• 1,244 posts
  • LocationNY Capital Region

Posted July 05 2013 - 10:38 AM

Air doesn't move easily through a closed window either, but someone inside can usually hear noises (birds, traffic, etc.) or people talking outside even with the window closed.

If they've established that small amounts of air and water can penetrate the dome, that would seem to make it even more permeable than your standard window glass.

A small amount of permeability would perhaps allow some small level of sound waves through, though perhaps barely if at all audible to human ears. The rigidity of the dome could otherwise prevent it from vibrating and acting as a sound transmission medium itself.

The nature of the dome is all pseudo science anyway since no known technology could make something like that, but it does make more sense to me than to have sound pass through easily.

Edited by Greg Kettell, July 05 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#46 of 194 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,430 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 05 2013 - 09:14 PM

And can you really stop a house fire by bulldozing it?

It won't put it out, but it will help. Fires are fueled by heat and oxygen. The intact structure trapped the heat like a furnace while providing a source of oxygen to fuel the burn. By collapsing the structure, you smother a primary oxygen source while eliminating the heat trap. More importantly from their standpoint, it brings the fire down closer to the ground where it's more likely to burn itself out and less likely to jump to surrounding structures.

#47 of 194 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,051 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 10:20 AM

Anti-spoiler (something in the show that will be different than the book): 

Spoiler

I am curious what that will be.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#48 of 194 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,051 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 10:31 AM

I'm not sure that's really much of a spoiler, since it appears they intend for the timeline of the series to be quite different. Especially if it goes on for several seasons. Entertainment Weekly also revealed the book's timeline in an article a few weeks back when they were comparing differences between the book and the series.

From that article. Looks like they the show is built for multiple seasons and will not end at the end of the season.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#49 of 194 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,215 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 09:13 PM

The pilot episode was okay, but the second episode was total shiite.  Really hate the psycho James character, tempted to fast-forward through any of his scenes.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#50 of 194 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 5,124 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 09:54 PM

I was less enamored of the second episode as well and thought the house fire was pretty weak with the flames acting like the house was doused with accelerant.  The idea of how to respond to a fire in a limited environment was fine and helps develop the plot line of a zero sum game under the dome, but I thought the execution was lacking.

And I agree with Patrick regarding Junior;  I want to FF whenever he is on screen.

- Walter.

Edited by Walter Kittel, July 06 2013 - 09:54 PM.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#51 of 194 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,277 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted July 07 2013 - 06:23 AM

I struggled with the idea of starting a fire in the middle of a room in a house.  No fireplace?  Go outside. Who just lights fire in the middle of a house. That part totally took me out of it

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#52 of 194 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,215 posts

Posted July 07 2013 - 04:25 PM

Maybe the dome is depriving people under the dome of oxygen to the brain, just enough to do really dumb things as a natural consequence as necessitated by the script... :mellow: 

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#53 of 194 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Producer

• 3,010 posts

Posted July 07 2013 - 05:27 PM

It won't put it out, but it will help. Fires are fueled by heat and oxygen. The intact structure trapped the heat like a furnace while providing a source of oxygen to fuel the burn. By collapsing the structure, you smother a primary oxygen source while eliminating the heat trap. More importantly from their standpoint, it brings the fire down closer to the ground where it's more likely to burn itself out and less likely to jump to surrounding structures.

I suppose that makes sense, but I would also think that bulldozing a house fire could (at least initially) make it a lot worse.  Kind of like when you move the logs around in a fireplace or campfire, initially the flame intensifies.

#54 of 194 OFFLINE   Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin

Screenwriter

• 2,508 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted July 07 2013 - 05:39 PM

I forgot to DVR this, am I out of luck?

Sam, the answer to your question got buried in a multi-part post from someone else, but apparently Amazon Prime members can watch the series for free on their Prime Instant Video service. New episodes are available Friday after the original air date.

This is good for me, since it conflicts with other shows on my DVR, and Cox On-Demand's quality varies quite often, especially for CBS shows.

#55 of 194 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,815 posts

Posted July 07 2013 - 07:44 PM

I saw the bulldozer more as an act and opportunity by Big Jim to further destroy the evidence.

#56 of 194 OFFLINE   Josh Dial

Josh Dial

Screenwriter

• 2,729 posts

Posted July 08 2013 - 08:49 PM

Yeah, this show is bad.  Jettisoning now.  I'm 2/3 through the book (which is merely okay), so I'll stick with that.

#57 of 194 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,815 posts

Posted July 09 2013 - 06:36 AM

I don't think it's that bad. But I can see how some people will start asking when things will start to happen, when will we be getting answers. I doubt we'll be getting any answers soon. But I can see this series going the way of many recent fantasy series and cancellation with a cliffhanger. What was that show called, where everyone one Earth suddenly lost conscienceness and lost a few minutes? It feels like this show will have the same outcome with the audience.I found it interesting that Big Jim probably knew that Barbie beat up his son and seemed to respect him. I thought for a bit Jim might be taking him out on the man hunt to kill him too. And Julia also has her suspicions more heightened of Barbie. But she seems to be drawn to him and his mysterious past.

#58 of 194 OFFLINE   Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson

Producer

• 3,010 posts

Posted July 09 2013 - 07:23 AM

Yeah, this show's pretty terrible.  Although the third episode wasn't as bad as the second.  At least the scenes with the psycho kid weren't as unbearable.  Kind of odd that no one else thought to check the tunnels before.

Who carries matches around with them?

Edited by Scott Hanson, July 09 2013 - 07:24 AM.

#59 of 194 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted July 09 2013 - 07:25 AM

Nelson,I appreciate your comments, as always.  I was checking my guide last night to see if a show that I DVR was being aired, and it seems to have been replaced (at least for now) with Under the Dome.  I haven't watched this show yet, because I was actually watching my DVR of Sunday night's episode of Falling Skies at the same time Under the Dome was being aired. ;)

Edited by Ockeghem, July 09 2013 - 07:26 AM.

#60 of 194 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,815 posts

Posted July 09 2013 - 12:12 PM

Hi Scott!Well, if you are interested in seeing the show, there's always CBS.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users