• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,528 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 22 2013 - 10:20 AM

Anyone know anything about this release? Any reviews?

KAL2284.jpg

• davidHartzog likes this

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted June 22 2013 - 11:35 AM

I haven't heard a word about this release. I'd love to see HOUR OF THE GUN in hi-def. It's a superior western that draws on historical sources to tell a new story about Wyatt Earp. The film is beautifully crafted with a real feeling for the west. John Sturges' poetic images of men moving through isolated landscapes was never more rigidly choreographed, like a strange dance. He achieves an epic scale using as few background extras as possible. I like how it begins -- gets the gunfight out of the way at the beginning. This is about what happens after the gunfight. Sturges' earlier GUNFIGHT AT THE O.K. CORRAL (1957) drew a distinct line between the good guys and the bad guys. That distinction is no longer clear in HOUR OF THE GUN. As played by James Garner, Wyatt Earp crosses moral boundaries and back again. As Doc Holliday, Jason Robards reminds the lawman of what he supposed to stand for. The first film was about the mythical west and is a bona fide classic. This indirect sequel about the historical west is the more sophisticated film, and just as entertaining.

Bring on the blu-ray.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,528 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 22 2013 - 12:47 PM

Couldn't agree more, Richard. I have always found this to be a neglected classic. The first five minutes alone should be shown to every student filmmaker all over the world. It's breathtaking in its choice of imagery, sound, music and editing.

From what I gather, this is an Australian Blu, but I haven't found a single review of it anywhere nor determined if its region locked. A sure buy for me if it gets good reviews.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,842 posts

Posted June 23 2013 - 01:46 AM

From what I gather, this is an Australian Blu, but I haven't found a single review of it anywhere nor determined if its region locked. A sure buy for me if it gets good reviews.

Lionel59, a regular contributor to this forum, has this BRD and has said it's pretty good.

Edited by Robin9, June 23 2013 - 01:53 AM.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 870 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted June 23 2013 - 02:06 AM

Great film, one of James Garner's best, and by John Sturges. I will be buying this if I can track it down. Gunfight at the OK Corral is third on my most wanted list, and this will make a fine double feature.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted June 26 2013 - 05:17 AM

A helpful review of the film, not the blu-ray:

http://livius1.wordp...our-of-the-gun/

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,072 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted July 19 2013 - 10:33 PM

Couldn't agree more, Richard. I have always found this to be a neglected classic. The first five minutes alone should be shown to every student filmmaker all over the world. It's breathtaking in its choice of imagery, sound, music and editing.

I just watched the Australian BD, which I got for a decent price through a seller on eBay. It's a pretty good transfer, properly framed at 2.35:1, with good detail and contrast, but it needs some cleaning up. There is a some speckling and debris, not enough to be overly distracting but I doubt that Twilight Time (for example) would accept it in its current condition. It is pretty much a bare-bones release, with no subtitles and the only extra is the theatrical trailer. Still, it is a huge improvement over my old laserdisc and I enjoyed watching it.

• Robin9 likes this
Rich Gallagher

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,528 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 20 2013 - 08:39 AM

Richard, thank you for the review! I'll probably go for it as I'm sure it's an improvement over the old DVD. As for the dirt and debris, as long as it's not excessive, it makes me think I'm watching a FILM source and doesn't bother me too much. I just pretend I'm seeing it at a second run theater. ;)
  • Robin9 likes this

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,842 posts

Posted July 20 2013 - 12:46 PM

Richard, thank you for the review! I'll probably go for it as I'm sure it's an improvement over the old DVD. As for the dirt and debris, as long as it's not excessive, it makes me think I'm watching a FILM source and doesn't bother me too much. I just pretend I'm seeing it at a second run theater. ;)

That's exactly my attitude too! That's also why I don't have a problem with most of Olive's less than perfect BRDs.

• Professor Echo likes this

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher

Producer

• 3,072 posts
  • LocationFishkill, NY

Posted July 20 2013 - 02:06 PM

You won't be disappointed as long as you're aware that it's not a perfect transfer. It is film-like, with an appropriate level of film grain, and some of the scenery is spectacular. The audio is solid.

If we ever get a Region A release I would like to see MGM get rid of the specks and debris, but until then this will satisfy fans of the film who have region-free Blu-ray players.

• Professor Echo likes this
Rich Gallagher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users