Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Your Twilight Time/MGM wishlist?

Twilight Time MGM

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
316 replies to this topic

#41 of 317 OFFLINE   Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Supporting Actor

• 542 posts

Posted June 22 2013 - 06:39 AM

It was a UA a release and never part of the final Turner purchase, which ended up at Warner's. .

RE: THE MUSIC LOVERS.  Then if the rumored TT/MGM deal materializes this is a title which may make it!  I'll add to the poster who added HAWAII to the requests-hopefully the restored  full length Roadshow version if/when it comes out!

Edited by Paul Rossen, June 22 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#42 of 317 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted June 22 2013 - 07:09 AM

What a shame Warners wasn't able to purchase this library.

You said it!

My wish for TT? Please don't touch anything in the MGM/UA library unless it's been properly remastered for HD. MGM's legacy on DVD has become a disappointing blur of incorrect 1.66:1 aspect ratio transfers...letterboxed no less! Some great titles in that library, but unfortunately last seen from MGM on DVD in pretty dicey form.

I mean, did MGM suddenly find a wad of capital to restore and remaster?  :ph34r:

Twilight Time will probably just get what MGM has bothered to remaster at this point. I'm not expecting any new remastering work.

The ideal MGM/UA Twilight Time release IMO would be Taras Bulba, considering how highly regarded that score is.

#43 of 317 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,913 posts

Posted June 22 2013 - 07:27 AM

The ideal MGM/UA Twilight Time release IMO would be Taras Bulba, considering how highly regarded that score is.

That one may actually happen given how good the Australian blu-ray is an that it's not a title that MGM or Shout! Factory will likely release themselves.

#44 of 317 OFFLINE   Noach Kowalski

Noach Kowalski

Stunt Coordinator

• 225 posts

Posted June 22 2013 - 09:51 AM

Has anyone seen the HD airings of Rollerball, The Vikings, The Long Goodbye, Judgement At Nuremburg, Witness for the Prosecution etc on MGM channel?

If so, what did they look like?

#45 of 317 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 911 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted June 22 2013 - 04:44 PM

POPULAR

I can second and support many of the suggested titles.

My principle point is this (and I hope that the TT folks are listening):  I have eagerly paid top dollar for TT titles, and defended their business model on the boards and in many personal conversations.  But the most important thing to me is the very best version, picture, and sound for the film. 

TT has benefited so far from the foresighted competence of the studios they are working with, particularly Sony.  I have no confidence in MGM at this point.  They don't care.  So TT is going to have to exercise a lot of caution together with begging and cajoling--whatever it takes--to get the tone-deaf execs at MGM to provide the kind of excellence that TT has been known for.

If it isn't perfect, don't release it.  Period.  No compromise and no prisoners. 

#46 of 317 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 911 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted June 22 2013 - 04:46 PM

Has anyone seen the HD airings of Rollerball, The Vikings, The Long Goodbye, Judgement At Nuremburg, Witness for the Prosecution etc on MGM channel?

If so, what did they look like?

I have the MGM channel through DirecTV.  I would say that the quality was variable.  Rollerball was awful, Witness for the Prosecution tolerable (considering its innate problems).  I have stopped watching the MGM channel and many other movie channels, however, because I can't stand anything less than what can be achieved.

Edited by rsmithjr, June 22 2013 - 06:19 PM.

#47 of 317 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted June 22 2013 - 06:00 PM

Just one for me, is a must.  The Alamo (1960).

Hopefully the complete version.

#48 of 317 OFFLINE   Twilight Time

Twilight Time

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted June 22 2013 - 06:54 PM

POPULAR

I can second and support many of the suggested titles.

My principle point is this (and I hope that the TT folks are listening):  I have eagerly paid top dollar for TT titles, and defended their business model on the boards and in many personal conversations.  But the most important thing to me is the very best version, picture, and sound for the film. 

TT has benefited so far from the foresighted competence of the studios they are working with, particularly Sony.  I have no confidence in MGM at this point.  They don't care.  So TT is going to have to exercise a lot of caution together with begging and cajoling--whatever it takes--to get the tone-deaf execs at MGM to provide the kind of excellence that TT has been known for.

If it isn't perfect, don't release it.  Period.  No compromise and no prisoners. 

Hi rsmithjr--I can assure we do listen--especially to the comments at HTF--but other boards not so much. What I can say for certain is that recently, my TT partner Brian Jamieson and I sat and watched the masters of all the first 40 films or so we are licensing from MGM/UA to make a judgement call--I do exactly the same thing at Fox--so if you generally agree that our standard of Fox releases is up to snuff, you won't be disappointed in the MGM/UA titles either. Regrettably, we had to pass on some of those we were hopeful of issuing, but we were able to select enough to get us through 2014 and beyond. As a sidebar when I started in music restoration at Fox 20 years ago, it took several years to get the program up to speed--I see the same thing now developing in home video--everything is always a work-in-progress at studios, and there are many dedicated folk behind the scenes who labor long and hard to make things happen. The business is constantly evolving and changing, and the die-hard aficionados, whose support is desperately needed, just have to hang in, be patient, and as supportive as possible. A lot of good things are coming, and they need all the help we can muster to arrive...

All best,

Nick Redman

";s:7:"insider

#49 of 317 OFFLINE   Jobla

Jobla

Supporting Actor

• 642 posts

Posted June 22 2013 - 08:02 PM

I'm really looking forward to seeing some MGM Blu-rays in the future.  How I would love THE ALAMO, with Tiomkin's score isolated!

#50 of 317 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,393 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted June 22 2013 - 09:43 PM

Would like to add "The Lion In Winter"(1968) with Kate Hepburn and Peter O'Toole at the peak of their powers to my personal wishlist of Twilight Time/MGM titles if this licensing agreement comes to fruition...Kate won her 3rd Oscar right after "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?" for her performance in this classic and we got to see Anthony Hopkins, Timothy Dalton, Jane Merrow and Nigel Terry in their film debuts...

Edited by lukejosephchung, June 22 2013 - 09:43 PM.

#51 of 317 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted June 23 2013 - 12:02 AM

Time for Twilight Time to do its duty by the Western, a genre that lingers in its own twilight time.

VengeanceValley-1951-MGM-one.jpg

ManOfTheWest-1958-UA-poster.jpg

Alamo-1960-UA-one.jpg

Unforgiven-1960-UA-poster.jpg

DuelAtDiablo-1966-UA-one.jpg

HourOfTheGun-1967-UA.jpg

SupportYourLocalSheriff-1969-UA.jpg

Lawman-1971-UA.jpg

SupportYourLocalGunfighter-1971-UA.jpg

WildRovers-1971-MGM-one.jpg

JuniorBonner-1972-UA-one.jpg

PatGarrett-1973-MGM-one.jpg

the 1973 theatrical release AND the director's workprint with the wife scene re-instated.

AlfredoGarcia-1974-MGM-onePreview.jpg

MissouriBreaks-1976-UA-advanceOne.jpg

ReturnOfAManCalledHorse-1976-UA-one.jpg

ComesAHorseman-1978-UA-one.jpg

Edited by Richard--W, June 23 2013 - 12:33 AM.

#52 of 317 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted June 23 2013 - 12:30 AM

stutter

Edited by Richard--W, June 23 2013 - 12:49 AM.

#53 of 317 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,504 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 23 2013 - 04:20 AM

Some of those, of course, were released by MGM, not UA, so they'd be a part of the Warners' empire. (I bought Wild Rovers as a Warner Archive release.)

#54 of 317 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,712 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted June 23 2013 - 05:00 AM

Wow, forty films! That was some viewing session for Brian Jamieson & Nick Redman (not all at once I'm sure). Not that that's enjoyable, as looking for faults, the usual thing is to turn down the sound & just concentrate on the picture, & it's no fun when a favorite film doesn't quite make the grade.

#55 of 317 OFFLINE   Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Supporting Actor

• 542 posts

Posted June 23 2013 - 05:53 AM

Hi rsmithjr--I can assure we do listen--especially to the comments at HTF--but other boards not so much. What I can say for certain is that recently, my TT partner Brian Jamieson and I sat and watched the masters of all the first 40 films or so we are licensing from MGM/UA to make a judgement call--I do exactly the same thing at Fox--so if you generally agree that our standard of Fox releases is up to snuff, you won't be disappointed in the MGM/UA titles either. Regrettably, we had to pass on some of those we were hopeful of issuing, but we were able to select enough to get us through 2014 and beyond. As a sidebar when I started in music restoration at Fox 20 years ago, it took several years to get the program up to speed--I see the same thing now developing in home video--everything is always a work-in-progress at studios, and there are many dedicated folk behind the scenes who labor long and hard to make things happen. The business is constantly evolving and changing, and the die-hard aficionados, whose support is desperately needed, just have to hang in, be patient, and as supportive as possible. A lot of good things are coming, and they need all the help we can muster to arrive...

All best,

Nick Redman

The prospect of the MGM/UA vaults finally being opened is a very exciting prospect.  Also, this leaves open the possibility that MGM may one day look(before it's too late even for home video) at the titles that need restoration. Certainly MAD WORLD and THE ALAMO have many fans here on this forum as well as other forums to back full restoration efforts.  The many classic titles recommended on this forum is a testament to the MGM/UA film heritage.

Continued success...

#56 of 317 OFFLINE   Ferdinand Hudson

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted June 23 2013 - 06:24 AM

A Breed Apart

Not the greatest film of all time (troubled production) but good cinematography and a stellar score by Maurice Gibb with an orchestral arrangement by Jimmie Haskell. There was never a soundtrack album issued despite Maurice and Jimmie making one ready at the time. Bee Gees fans would lose their minds if this saw a proper release as an isolated soundtrack on the blu-ray.

Posted Image

#57 of 317 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 891 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted June 23 2013 - 08:51 AM

stutter

Nice posters, Richard!  Duel at Diablo...man, that letterboxed DVD needs to be upgraded into a beautiful BD!!

#58 of 317 OFFLINE   Patrick Mason

Patrick Mason

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 23 2013 - 09:20 AM

The stuff I've really been waiting on MGM for:

WOODY ALLLEN (Where the heck are all of these titles? MGM has only released 4 out of around 20!)

WILDER, TRUFFAUT

A SHOT IN THE DARK

DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS

THE LONG GOODBYE

#59 of 317 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,932 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted June 23 2013 - 09:28 AM

The road show version of SODOM AND GOMORRAH, the US rights for which are still held by Fox.

Posted Image

Edited by Douglas R, June 23 2013 - 09:45 AM.

#60 of 317 OFFLINE   Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Supporting Actor

• 542 posts

Posted June 23 2013 - 09:47 AM

The road show version of SODOM AND GOMORRAH, the US rights for which are still held by Fox.

Posted Image

Is there an actual print available for such a Roadshow version?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users