What's new

Coppola's The Bling Ring (1 Viewer)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I love zombie movies and I enjoy Brad Pitt but I decided to take in the latest from Coppola first (will do WWZ tom).

The movie wasn't great but it's certainly very good and will be of entertainment to those wanting to break free of the monster movies being released each week. I think what I enjoy most about the picture is the beautiful style that Coppola brings. The cinematography is top-notch and some of the best work I've seen this year and especially during the stealing scenes. Showing the nightlife of clubs in L.A. were also well shot. The performances from the entire cast were extremely good but it's Emma Watson who really shines as she plays what I'd call the blindest of the teens.

If you're expecting a "story" then you're really not going to get one. We see them steal. We see them like to steal. We know they want to be close to Paris and Lohan. They get busted. That's pretty much all of the story but it's clear Coppola was interested in showing how dumb some people are in regards to their love for famous people. Some reviews have complained that all of the characters seem like the same person and there's no growth from any of them. I think this was done on purpose to show that these people don't want to be themselves and instead they're "acting" to be someone else and this is the reason why these people are so stupid in more ways than one.

I'm going back and forth of a *** or *** 1/2 but for now will stick with the 3 1/2

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
A friend of mine reviewed this for his website and mentioned that there briefly was a reality show about the girl who's the basis for Emma Watson's character, and that there are scenes in the movie that are verbatim remakes of scenes from the show.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I liked this quite a but any movie that points out how stupid and demented people that worship fame are is going to get my thumbs up. Since I hated the characters so much, I loved seeing them do more & more stupid things that would lead to them getting caught. Nice to see another example of Emma Watson proving her acting chops.

Also, I applaud Paris Hilton for having enough of a sense of humor that she let 'her' house have pictures of herself all over it. Either she's got a sense of humor or she's an even bigger egomaniac than I thought and that's close to the reality & she doesn't think it's strange to have pictures of your magazine covers all over your house.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
Also, I applaud Paris Hilton for having enough of a sense of humor that she let 'her' house have pictures of herself all over it. Either she's got a sense of humor or she's an even bigger egomaniac than I thought and that's close to the reality & she doesn't think it's strange to have pictures of your magazine covers all over your house.
UPDATE: Never mind, I saw an article in the newspaper this morning where Sofia Coppola says that's actually Paris Hilton's house and the pillows with her face on them, etc. are all hers. I guess I shouldn't be surprised but I didn't think anyone could be that much of a sick fucking narcissist.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
From an US Weekly article:
When Hilton agreed to let Coppola film scenes in her house (Kirsten Dunst also makes a cameo), the director wanted to keep every detail the same -- with one exception. "The house is exactly how it is. The only thing that they changed is I have a stairway leading up that's kind of my 'wall of fame' with hundreds of framed magazine covers, but they couldn't use the covers because they would have had to get clearance, so they inserted mock-ups," the Simple Life alum tells The Daily Beast. "Those pillows with my face on it were actually a present from my girlfriend for my birthday, and I just thought they were so funny and hilarious."
I don't think the "wall of fame" is so weird. Lots of people like to display their accomplishments -- magazine covers on a model's wall are like med school diplomas on a doctor's. ;)

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/news/paris-hilton-in-the-bling-ring-see-inside-her-immaculate-home-2013136

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
I just noticed that Lifetime is showing an earlier version of this (also called THE BLIND RING) in a couple days. I'm not sure how this one will compare but I didn't realize that there had been an earlier film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks