Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Fox - Why haven't you released Volcano (1997) on Blu-ray yet?

Fox Blu-ray

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   MLamarre

MLamarre

Second Unit

• 418 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 05:51 AM

I find it odd that this big budget effects film from the late 90s starring Tommy Lee Jones, Anne Heche and Don Cheadle hasn't been released on Blu-ray yet. Worse yet, it's only ever been available in a non-anamorphic letterboxed DVD. It's time for an upgrade.

Fox - You've already released The Poseidon Adventure, The Towering Inferno, The Day After Tomorrow...

Other studios have released Dante's Peak, Earthquake, Deep Impact, The Perfect Storm, Airport, Hard Rain, Twister, Daylight...

So where is Volcano? It seems like it would be popular with the Wal-Mart & Best Buy crowds.

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   bob kaplan

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor

• 557 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 06:51 AM

Yup.....i would really enjoy this one too!!! and as pointed out the DVD is even non-anamorphic!  Lots of fun....since I live on the east coast.  ...and yes i do shop at Walmart on occasion and dress appropriately.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 12:25 PM

Saw on its original release. Not in the same league as Dante's Peak (Peak had that truck through the lava howler, but Volcano has a brigade of them), but it'd be good if it came out so the folks who liked the flick can have a good video representation of it.

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,580 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 20 2013 - 02:04 PM

Saw on its original release. Not in the same league as Dante's Peak (Peak had that truck through the lava howler, but Volcano has a brigade of them), but it'd be good if it came out so the folks who liked the flick can have a good video representation of it.

They came out the same year. Seems like I recall Dante's Peak got out of the gate first and did much better at the box-office.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   theonemacduff

theonemacduff

Second Unit

• 325 posts
  • Locationthe wet coast

Posted June 20 2013 - 10:43 PM

Yeah, I saw this when it came out too, and just loved it. As a cheesy movie, this one is probably my all time extra-aged cheddar fave. I liked the relentlessness of the plot, the momentum, and the way in which the so-called personal elements of the story were pushed into the background once the emergency got rolling. After all, if you are the LA Director of Emergency Management, that's the way you're supposed to work, and the script respected the work. It has some silly elements (why cant we all just -- get along?) but overall, lots of cheesy fun. BTW, the truck drive through the lava in Dante's Peak bugged me too, as it was perfectly obvious that they take so long the engine would have heat seized way before they made it to the other side. I have the DVD and have watched it numerous times, but it is a non-anamorphic copy, so the quality is way down there in the pixel basement. A BR would be divine.

Edited by theonemacduff, June 20 2013 - 10:44 PM.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 833 posts

Posted June 21 2013 - 02:52 AM

The question should be  how come you have not released  THE BLUE MAX yet?

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,262 posts

Posted June 21 2013 - 05:18 AM

They came out the same year. Seems like I recall Dante's Peak got out of the gate first and did much better at the box-office.

"Peak": Feb 7 1997 $67 million US

"Volcano": April 25 1997 $47 million US

So "Peak" did better - not sure I'd say MUCH better, though.

Both are cheese, but I prefer "Volcano" because it's cheese without pretension.  "Peak" seems to think it's higher quality than it is... :)

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,388 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted June 23 2013 - 12:22 AM

"Peak": Feb 7 1997 $67 million US
"Volcano": April 25 1997 $47 million US

So "Peak" did better - not sure I'd say MUCH better, though.

Both are cheese, but I prefer "Volcano" because it's cheese without pretension.  "Peak" seems to think it's higher quality than it is... :)

IMHO, Peak is a much better film. When I'm in the mood for a cheese sandwich, I watch Volcano instead.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Baywatch Joe

Baywatch Joe

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted August 10 2013 - 09:34 PM

I'm Baywatch Joe. I Know a lots about movies Flims & screen resolution. Volcano is one of my top 1 movie hits of all time. I own Volcano with Tommy Lee Jones 5 copies (vhs1:33.1) (vhs 1:85.1) (dvd 1:85.1) (dvd PAL 2:35.1) & Blu Ray. Volcano  is finally here on Blu Ray and it's the truth. I can tell you what to expect, New sound quality 5.1 surround sound 4.5 sound a effects 1:85.1 or 2:40.1 screen resolution. audio & commentary. we like to see behind the scene footage & gag reels. Volcano on Blu Ray comes out october 1,2013. you all can per order your copies on amazon.com for $14.99

Edited by Baywatch Joe, August 10 2013 - 09:39 PM.

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Cremildo

Cremildo

Second Unit

• 259 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted August 11 2013 - 04:47 AM

IMHO, Peak is a much better film. When I'm in the mood for a cheese sandwich, I watch Volcano instead.

Precisely.

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted August 11 2013 - 05:15 AM

Its coming to Blu Ray on 10/1 ...I like this one and Dantes Peak 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox, Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users