What's new

WHV Press Release: The Exorcist 40th Anniversary (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

’The Exorcist is both my own favorite film and the greatest film ever made.”
— Mark Kermode, Sight and Sound Magazine

THE EXORCIST

CELEBRATES 40THANNIVERSARY OCTOBER 8

Blu-ray Includes the Extended Director’s Cut, Theatrical Version 
with New Special Features and Premiums

Burbank, Calif. June 20, 2013 – When The Exorcist was first released in 1973, viewers were frightened out of their wits - and literally out of their seats. Now Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) will celebrate the 40thanniversary of Academy Award® winning director William Friedkin’s suspense masterpiece that haunted and intrigued the world, with a new Blu-ray release featuring the Extended Director’s Cut and Theatrical Version with new special features and premiums ($49.99 SRP). Available October 8, just ahead of Halloween, this 40thAnniversary Edition will include two new featurettes: “Beyond Comprehension: William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist” and “Talk of the Devil,” as well as an excerpt from Friedkin’s book The Friedkin Connection: A Memoir.

A true cinema landmark, the theological thriller is one of the top ten box-office performers of all time.* The Exorcist took 10 Academy Award®  nominations[1], including Best Picture, and won two Oscars®[2], for Best Adapted Screenplay, as well as winning for Best Sound. Subsequently, the film went on to become a multi-million dollar franchise. Directed by Friedkin (Oscar®-winner for The French Connection - Directing 1971and written by William Peter Blatty, the film is based on his best-selling novel, which sold nearly 13 million copies domestically and was the #1 book on the New York Times Best Seller List for 57 weeks, 17 of them at #1.

Regarding the Extended Director’s Cut, Friedkin says, “After my initial cut, I took out 12 more minutes before we released it in theatres. Years later, Bill Blatty asked if I’d review some of that rejected footage (which he always felt should have remained) with an eye towards putting it back in a new version. In so doing I believe we strengthened the spiritual aspect of the film.”

Celebrated for his directorial role in this seminal film, Friedkin is still very much in the limelight. His new book, The Friedkin Connection: A Memoir, recently published by HarperCollins, extensively discusses the background and casting of The ExorcistThe Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films will honor Friedkin this month with their Lifetime Achievement Award for his continually influential work in genre entertainment at this year’s Saturn Awards. In August, Friedkin will receive the Golden Lion for Lifetime Achievement at the 70thVenice International Film Festival, where he will present the restored version of Warner Bros.’ Sorcerer. And Friedkin and author Blatty will attend a special 40th Anniversary screening of their film at the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C. on October 30. The film will also have an exclusive theatrical engagement October 31 through November 7th at the AMC Georgetown.

Synopsis

The Exorcist tells the now-famous story of a girl’s demonic possession, and a gripping fight between good and evil. Linda Blair, in a breakout role, plays Regan, a young girl who starts to exhibit strange, arcane behavior. Her mother (Ellen Burstyn, Oscarâ-winner for Best Actress Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore) calls upon a priest, Father Karras (Jason Miller) to investigate. But Karras, who has a spiritual crisis of his own, is suddenly confronted with the unimaginable evil of Regan’s possession. Father Lankester Merrin (Max Von Sydow), an archeologist-priest, is called to help, and a horrific battle for her soul begins.

Special Features:

·  Beyond Comprehension: William Peter Blatty's The Exorcist (NEW) 40 years after his novel was published,The Exorcist author, screenwriter and producer returns to where it all began. First stop is a cabin/guest house in the hills of Encino, California, where Blatty wrote the novel. The author visits the place for the first time in 40 years and shares not only memories of writing the book, but also discusses how it inspired him. We then meet Blatty in two key and iconic locations; Georgetown University where the film was shot, and at the now-famous Exorcist steps. Throughout, Blatty reads from his novel, including an excerpt from a chilling newly published passage.

·  Talk of the Devil (NEW) – While at Georgetown University, William Peter Blatty heard about a true case of possession from Father Eugene Gallagher. At the time the film came out, the priest talked at length about exorcism, the true story and about Blatty; this footage is now available for the first time in many years. It is as revealing as it is shocking.

·  Two Commentaries by William Friedkin

·  Commentary by William Peter Blatty

·  Introduction by William Friedkin

·  1998 BBC Documentary "The Fear of God: 25 Years of the Exorcist”

·  Raising Hell: Filming the Exorcist Set footage produced and photographed by Owen Roizman, camera and makeup tests, and interviews with director William Friedkin, actress Linda Blair, author/screenwriter/producer William Peter Blatty and Owen Roizman.

·  The Exorcist Locations: Georgetown Then and Now -- Featuring a tour of the iconic locations where the film was shot.

·  Faces of Evil: The Different Versions of The Exorcist — with director William Friedkin and author/screenwriter/producer William Peter Blatty discussing the different versions of the film and featuring outtakes from the film.

·  Original Ending

·  Interviews

o The Original Cut

o Stairway to Heaven

o The Final Reckoning

·  Sketches & Storyboards

·  Radio Spots

·  TV Spots

·  Trailers

Premium:

Excerpt of The Friedkin Connection: A Memoir

The Exorcist 40th Anniversary Extended Director’s Cut Blu-ray™

Street Date: October 8, 2013

Order Due Date: September 3, 2013

Rated R

Run Time: 132min (Extended Director’s Cut)

122 (Theatrical Version)

Pricing: $49.99 SRP

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

* Source: boxofficemojo.com, adjusted for inflation.

Academy Award(s)® and Oscar(s)® are registered trademarks and services marks of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.

Blu-ray Disc™ and Blu-ray™ and the logos are the trademarks of Blu-ray Disc Association.

Warner Home Video Blu-ray Discs™ offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, as well as extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color and beautifully crisp sound. The format also provides a higher level of interactivity, with instant access to extra features via a seamless menu bar where viewers can enjoy features without leaving or interrupting the film.

[2] 1973 (46th) SOUND -- Robert Knudson, Chris Newman

WRITING (Screenplay--based on material from another medium) -- William Peter Blatty

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So, okay, I finally had the chance to actually read this press release.

I am guessing as far as the film is concerned, nothing new as far as
more added footage over the previous The Version You've Never Seen release.

...or am I missing something?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
As far as I can tell, that is correct.

I'm sure this will be a solid release but I was happy with the first release so there would have to be a highly substantial video upgrade to get me to buy a second time.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
What's wrong with calling this what it is, a horror masterpiece, not suspense. The film has suspenseful elements, but it's still a horror film.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Ronald Epstein said:
We then meet Blatty in two key and iconic locations; Georgetown University where the film was shot, and at the now-famous Exorcist steps. Throughout, Blatty reads from his novel, including an excerpt from a chilling newly published passage.
So, wait a minute. We're not going to also meet him in that other iconic location, Northern Iraq ??? No sale! :)

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Seriously, though: This is one of my favorite horror films of all time, about which I could write ad nauseum about the first dozen or so times I went to see it. But unless the original theatrical release is improved upon in some way over the Blu-ray of... hmmm, a whole three years ago?... I personally won't have any reason for quadruple-dipping. I'd be happy to watch the new featurettes once, but come on.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
4k scan of the theatrical + restoring the Saul Bass logo would certainly = a win.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Charles Smith said:
4k scan of the theatrical + restoring the Saul Bass logo would certainly = a win.
I'd add the original mono mix to that.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I might get this but I am very happy with my digibook edition, but this has new features...
I bet in 10 years we will have the 50th anniversary edition to talk about
Why cant the Time Machine be given as much love as the Exorcist or Wizard of Oz ?
Does anyone recall those great large black box DVD releases they did for Superman, Exorcist and the Time Machine ? I still have mine..Im shocked The Time Machine hasnt gotten anything like that in the Bluray Universe

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll wait for reviews, I'm pretty happy with the last bluray. Is there really three cuts of this now? Theatrical, Version You Never Saw and now a Directors Cut? I thought the Directors Cut was just the "Version You Never Saw". I'm sure that quote "“After my initial cut, I took out 12 more minutes before we released it in theatres. Years later, Bill Blatty asked if I’d review some of that rejected footage (which he always felt should have remained) with an eye towards putting it back in a new version. In so doing I believe we strengthened the spiritual aspect of the film.” was used on the "Version You Never Saw" version.

VERSION! Cripes, what a mess! :P

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I love those WB box sets, though I never even saw the Exorcist and Time Machine ones. Were they in print for all of five minutes, or did they appear just before I started acquiring the bulk of my collection? I shan't be seeing them any time soon at those price levels.

EDIT: Yes, I've checked, and they did appear before I got serious about collecting, learning one thing from another, etc.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
I'll wait for reviews, I'm pretty happy with the last bluray. Is there really three cuts of this now? Theatrical, Version You Never Saw and now a Directors Cut? I thought the Directors Cut was just the "Version You Never Saw".
As far as I know, The Version You Never Saw is just referred to as the director's cut now. I guess they feel that still saying "you've never seen it before" is inaccurate when it's been available for more than a dozen years.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Ronald Epstein said:

...or am I missing something?
Russell G said:
Is there really three cuts of this now? Theatrical, Version You Never Saw and now a Directors Cut? I thought the Directors Cut was just the "Version You Never Saw".
TravisR said:
As far as I know, The Version You Never Saw is just referred to as the director's cut now. I guess they feel that still saying "you've never seen it before" is inaccurate when it's been available for more than a dozen years.
No, the directors cut was what appeared on the previous Blu-ray. It's not new or simply renamed from the "Version You've Never Seen." It has some minor changes from that version. Removal of some of the more clumsy superimpositions, etc. It's a subtle difference, but an improvement.

WilliamMcK

Second Unit
Real Name
Biff
Question: on a 46" 1080p LED TV will I see the difference between a 2K and a 4K scan? I really have no interest in purchasing this again... but if the original cut will look better on my set up I will do so grudgingly (the original mono track and the '70s Saul Bass Warner's logo would be additional incentive).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks