-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: The Exorcist 40th Anniversary (Blu-ray)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#21 of 121 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,696 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 20 2013 - 09:51 AM

No, the directors cut was what appeared on the previous Blu-ray.  It's not new or simply renamed from the "Version You've Never Seen."  It has some minor changes from that version.  Removal of some of the more clumsy superimpositions, etc.  It's a subtle difference, but an improvement.

Now that you mention it, wasn't the goofy floating Pazuzu head in the kitchen gone or more subtle? The added scenes are still the same though, correct?

Edited by TravisR, June 20 2013 - 09:57 AM.

#22 of 121 moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Second Unit

• 469 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted June 20 2013 - 09:59 AM

WB is holding back when it comes to whether or not their re-releases contain an upgrade in picture and sound. A new documentary is not enough for me to re-purchase. Friedkin was all excited about a new transfer. Why isn't it being touted in the press release? Same for Oz.

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#23 of 121 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,263 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 10:17 AM

I was going to ask the same: how come the press release doesn't mention a new transfer?

#24 of 121 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,322 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 10:30 AM

WB is holding back when it comes to whether or not their re-releases contain an upgrade in picture and sound.

They absolutely seem to be.  I have been hitting roadblocks talking with 

people at Warner that don't usually stall me when I ask them questions.

I was going to ask the same: how come the press release doesn't mention a new transfer?

You would think the studio would be smart to state, if it is, that is is.

However, I have gotten to the point where I tend to think they are simply

rehashing the same transfers. 

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#25 of 121 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,263 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 11:34 AM

They absolutely seem to be.  I have been hitting roadblocks talking with 

people at Warner that don't usually stall me when I ask them questions.

You would think the studio would be smart to state, if it is, that is is.

However, I have gotten to the point where I tend to think they are simply

rehashing the same transfers. 

Ron,

I think you are right.  When I heard comments sometime ago from Friedkin about a new scan coming, I was suspicious because the current release looks very good and film-like.  Perhaps he was mistaken and that new scan he referred to was actually already done for the original release.  Warner seems always list when a new transfer is done in their press release (such as for Enter the Dragon 40th, etc.).

#26 of 121 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,322 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 11:38 AM

Warner seems always list when a new transfer is done in their press release

Okay, you just answered a question I had.

So, Warner does occasionally state that certain reissues do have

a brand-new transfer?  Forgive me, I don't read all the press releases

I post that thoroughly.

If that is the case, I would assume that Oz and The Exorcist are the

same transfers in new packaging.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#27 of 121 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,263 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 12:02 PM

Okay, you just answered a question I had.

So, Warner does occasionally state that certain reissues do have

a brand-new transfer?  Forgive me, I don't read all the press releases

I post that thoroughly.

If that is the case, I would assume that Oz and The Exorcist are the

same transfers in new packaging.

I haven't read all of the releases, but of the movies which caught my attention they always seem to state if it's a new transfer.

Just saw your confirmation on Oz in the other thread which further supports this.

#28 of 121 Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,502 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 20 2013 - 12:38 PM

Maybe Friedkin will change the color to nice, soft pastels and create THE VERSION YOU NEVER WANTED TO SEE.

• Ken Volok likes this

#29 of 121 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,175 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 20 2013 - 02:10 PM

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I get such a kick from this picture: a crocheted Exorcist scene...

Crocheted Exorcist.jpg

• Stephen Brooks and moviebuff75 like this

#30 of 121 moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Second Unit

• 469 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted June 20 2013 - 02:18 PM

I've been wanting to show this at SkyDome Cinema (my backyard theater) for some time now. I was going to wait for the new version, but I don't think it will be any different. So, I'm showing it next Friday night. :) I can't wait to see it on the big screen again.

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#31 of 121 Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 02:52 PM

Why another reissue..WB how releasing films on Blu have NOT been released before???

• Nick*Z and Ken Volok like this
Ken

#32 of 121 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member

• 5,094 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted June 20 2013 - 04:57 PM

I've been wanting to show this at SkyDome Cinema (my backyard theater) for some time now. I was going to wait for the new version, but I don't think it will be any different. So, I'm showing it next Friday night. :) I can't wait to see it on the big screen again.

You wouldn't happen to have some concrete steps that lead to the sky dome? :)
  • moviebuff75 likes this
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#33 of 121 CraigF

CraigF

Screenwriter

• 2,340 posts
  • LocationToronto area, Canada

Posted June 20 2013 - 04:58 PM

They are trying to get as much money out of the format while a "few" people are still buying hard media. This involves continued repackagings etc., which are very cheap compared to doing any actual new work with any film. It's just business. After all, most people are apparently watching movies on laptops and smartphones via the likes of Netflix...not exactly the HD audio/video market. They have to recoup the money already spent, possibly in a much shorter timeframe than they had expected when they made the initial investment.

Edited by CraigF, June 20 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#34 of 121 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,221 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 06:57 PM

Why another reissue..WB how releasing films on Blu have NOT been released before???

$$$.  The 89th release of "Oz" is gonna sell better than the 1st release of some obscure flick, methinks...

• lukejosephchung likes this
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#35 of 121 lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,139 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted June 20 2013 - 07:13 PM

$$$.  The 89th release of "Oz" is gonna sell better than the 1st release of some obscure flick, methinks...

Exactly right...the marketing departments of every major studio are not going to let milestone anniversaries of their biggest-selling catalog titles such as this and "The Wizard Of Oz" pass without being promoted with all the bells and whistles their budgets will muster...it's the Hollywood way of doing business!!!

#36 of 121 Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 07:23 PM

They are trying to get as much money out of the format while a "few" people are still buying hard media. This involves continued repackagings etc., which are very cheap compared to doing any actual new work with any film. It's just business. After all, most people are apparently watching movies on laptops and smartphones via the likes of Netflix...not exactly the HD audio/video market. They have to recoup the money already spent, possibly in a much shorter timeframe than they had expected when they made the initial investment.

Which is all the more reason for them to license titles to Criterion, Shout Factory, etc.

• Ken Volok likes this

#37 of 121 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,370 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 20 2013 - 11:45 PM

Which is all the more reason for them to license titles to Criterion, Shout Factory, etc.

Why keep bringing that up when we know they're not going to do that.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#38 of 121 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,221 posts

Posted June 21 2013 - 05:27 AM

Exactly right...the marketing departments of every major studio are not going to let milestone anniversaries of their biggest-selling catalog titles such as this and "The Wizard Of Oz" pass without being promoted with all the bells and whistles their budgets will muster...it's the Hollywood way of doing business!!!

Even better, WB can sell us another "Oz" 75th anniversary set next year when the movie ACTUALLY turns 75!  :D

• Andrew Budgell and JohnMor like this
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#39 of 121 JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,175 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 21 2013 - 08:38 AM

Even better, WB can sell us another "Oz" 75th anniversary set next year when the movie ACTUALLY turns 75!  :D

Dear God, please don't give them any ideas!

#40 of 121 Derrick King

Derrick King

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted June 21 2013 - 01:32 PM

Why keep bringing that up when we know they're not going to do that.

I've only mentioned that this one time.  If they don't want to spend the money to release their catalog themselves, it makes sense to license titles to a third party and have them pay for all the production costs.

But you are right, they will not license to other companies (except for the titles they have currently licensed to Criterion) and they'll continue to re-release the same titles they always re-release.

• Andrew Budgell likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users