Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

TCFHE Press Release: Cavalcade (Blu-ray)

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 of 39 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,281 posts

Posted June 19 2013 - 11:43 AM

WINNER OF THREE OSCARS, INCLUDING BEST PICTURE, CAVALCADE ARRIVES ON BLU-RAY FOR THE FIRST-TIME-EVER IN CELEBRATION OF ITS 80TH ANNIVERSARY

img2.jpg

The Leading Write-In Vote Getter in Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment’s VOICE YOUR CHOICE Initiative Debuts on Blu-ray August 6

The acclaimed screen epic based on Noel Coward's popular play that earned three Academy Awards® including Best Picture and Best Director for Frank Lloyd, Cavalcade arrives on Blu-ray for the first-time-ever August 6 from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. This timeless classic received the most write-in votes in the studio’s first-of-its-kind VOICE YOUR CHOICE campaign, a unique initiative allowing film lovers to vote on classic films from each decade - from the 1930s through the 1960s - they’d like to see digitally restored and transferred to Blu-ray for the very first time. This new restoration was created using the only existing elements available from the Academy Film Archive and is being made available in the best presentation possible.

Nostalgic and atmospheric, Cavalcade traces the lives of two different families over three decades, from the Boer War at the close of the 19th century through World War I and the early 1930's. The tumultuous and rapid changes of the new 20th century also bring a cavalcade of changes for the upper class Marryots (Clive Brook, Oscar® nominee Diana Wynyard), and their maid and butler, the Bridges (Herbert Mundin, Una O'Connor). The effect of the world's great events on these families is a rich mingling of human drama and historical perspective.

Special Features (DVD)

Cavalcade Special Features

Commentary by Film Historian Richard Schickel

Fox Movietone News: Cavalcade Wins First Honors

Cavalcade Blu-ray + DVD Combo Pack

Street Date:

August 6, 2013

Prebook Date:

July 10, 2013

Screen Format:

Fullscreen 1.33:1

Audio:

English DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0

Subtitles:

English, French, Spanish

U.S. Rating:

Not Rated

Total Run Time:

110 minutes

Closed Captioned:

Yes

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 39 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted June 19 2013 - 11:53 AM

POPULAR

The singular Academy Award winning Best Picture that I have not seen. Finally I will be able to lay claim to having watched them all!

Edited by Mark-P, June 19 2013 - 11:54 AM.

• dana martin, Richard M S, ahollis and 1 other like this

#3 of 39 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,476 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 19 2013 - 12:20 PM

It means I'll have one more VHS tape I can ditch. This has been my means of watching this film for the last twenty years.

#4 of 39 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,281 posts

Posted June 19 2013 - 12:22 PM

As someone who has never seen this film before but is interested in 

owning every Best Picture winner on Blu-ray...

Hate to ask if this is a good movie.  Of course it is, if it won Best Picture.

I suppose the question is....how good?

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 39 OFFLINE   ABaglivi

ABaglivi

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted June 19 2013 - 12:27 PM

The film is very good. The question is what will Fox use for their source material? 

#6 of 39 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,476 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 19 2013 - 12:30 PM

It was adapted from Noel Coward's play, so it's very talky. But at the time, it was a prestige picture which carried a lot of weight with Academy voters. Were I voting today, I'd probably pick Little Women which was up against it. Others might pick I Am a Fugitive from the Chain Gang or 42nd Street or A Farewell to Arms

I guess this is an early preview to my review, but it covers a couple of generations in the life of a British family who perseveres through triumphs and tragedies (including events on the Titanic and World War I).

#7 of 39 OFFLINE   Ken Volok

Ken Volok

Stunt Coordinator

• 145 posts

Posted June 19 2013 - 01:34 PM

I can't believe I'm excited about this mostly boring film.

#8 of 39 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,118 posts

Posted June 19 2013 - 01:53 PM

As someone who has never seen this film before but is interested in 

owning every Best Picture winner on Blu-ray...

Hate to ask if this is a good movie.  Of course it is, if it won Best Picture.

I suppose the question is....how good?

I've seen all of the Best Picture Winners, and all the nominees (except the two best picture nominees that Fox has never released on home video nor shown on television), and Cavalcade is Not Good.   It's downright terrible, and in my estimation it is either the worst, or second worst Best Picture Winner of all time (joined on the bottom of the barrel with Broadway Melody which is equally terrible).  

On the Nose was the sort of expression invented for a film with writing and filmmaking this bad.  It's sort of a Forrest Gump for the generation who grew up in the 1890s-1920s featuring every major world event as it happens to a pair of families, but with none of the charm of the latter film.

#9 of 39 OFFLINE   Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 318 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted June 19 2013 - 02:40 PM

I've seen all of the Best Picture Winners, and all the nominees (except the two best picture nominees that Fox has never released on home video nor shown on television), and Cavalcade is Not Good.   It's downright terrible, and in my estimation it is either the worst, or second worst Best Picture Winner of all time (joined on the bottom of the barrel with Broadway Melody which is equally terrible).  

On the Nose was the sort of expression invented for a film with writing and filmmaking this bad.  It's sort of a Forrest Gump for the generation who grew up in the 1890s-1920s featuring every major world event as it happens to a pair of families, but with none of the charm of the latter film.

What kind of thread would this be if we didn't get a response like the one above?  "Cavalcade" is an extremely well-made film.  For the year in which it was released, it was a perfect choice for Best Picture -- easily one of the best choices in the Academy's first decade.

#10 of 39 OFFLINE   Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 318 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted June 19 2013 - 02:42 PM

Adam_S, I respect your opinion and do not want you to think, otherwise.  My first sentence above was the thought I was thinking when It "Quote", but upon reflection, it sounds snarky and it wasn't intended that way. 

#11 of 39 ONLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 19 2013 - 02:53 PM

I love Cavalcade, as it gives us a view of history as told by those who lived through it.  It's one of my favorite Best Picture winners from the 1930s.

#12 of 39 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,355 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted June 19 2013 - 03:18 PM

Adam_S, I respect your opinion and do not want you to think, otherwise.  My first sentence above was the thought I was thinking when It "Quote", but upon reflection, it sounds snarky and it wasn't intended that way. 

I support your snarky comment!  :) Every time an announcement is made about a title that a lot of people are excited about, someone pipes in to say what a piece of s--t it is. But in this case it's all Ron's fault because he baited us by asking for negative opinions. :lol:

• JoHud likes this

#13 of 39 OFFLINE   Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted June 19 2013 - 03:28 PM

I guess this is an early preview to my review, but it covers a couple of generations in the life of a British family who perseveres through triumphs and tragedies (including events on the Titanic and World War I).

Now it sounds like "Downton Abbey," which is right up my alley as I quite enjoy period British dramas.  I'm looking forward to a blindbuy, especially after these last few posts!

Albert

Edited by Escapay, June 19 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#14 of 39 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,476 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 19 2013 - 06:34 PM

Just wanted to add that in the Oscar voting that year (back in the days when the Academy revealed vote totals and runners-up), Cavalcade won by a wide margin over the number two finisher A Farewell to Arms. Little Women came in third.

#15 of 39 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 860 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted June 19 2013 - 07:40 PM

Fascinating tidbit, Matt.

I enjoyed all 3 films you mention. I especially liked Diana Wynyard's performance in Cavalcade. And the reviled Cavalcade, written by Noel Coward, has an intelligent (although rah, rah, rule Britannia) script, as opposed to Forrest Gump's, which is insultingly anti-intellectual. ;)

However, the one film that never loses its emotional impact every time I watch it, the one film I consider the best of that particular year, is I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang.

#16 of 39 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,476 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 20 2013 - 04:33 AM

Speaking of Chain Gang, Paul Muni finished second in the Best Actor voting for his performance in the film (Charles Laughton won by a narrow margin). Diana Wynyard finshed third in the Best Actress field after Katharine Hepburn (her first win) and Mae Robson in Lady for a Day.

#17 of 39 OFFLINE   bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 860 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted June 20 2013 - 04:40 AM

Matt,

Where do you find this information? And when did the Academy stop releasing it?

#18 of 39 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted June 20 2013 - 05:49 AM

Speaking of Chain Gang, Paul Muni finished second in the Best Actor voting for his performance in the film (Charles Laughton won by a narrow margin). Diana Wynyard finshed third in the Best Actress field after Katharine Hepburn (her first win) and Mae Robson in Lady for a Day.

think WB and Universal will ever get around to releasing Life of Emile Zola and Scarface on blu ray?

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#19 of 39 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,476 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 20 2013 - 07:44 AM

Matt,

Where do you find this information? And when did the Academy stop releasing it?

You can find it in any really quality book on the history of the Oscars. 1939 was the last year they stopped releasing totals and runners-up. Starting with the 1940 awards, they began with the envelopes containing the names of the winners and not released to the press prior to the ceremony (due to the press jumping the gun and releasing the names of the winners while the nominees were arriving at the ceremony which revealed Gone With the Wind was going to win eight Oscars).

#20 of 39 OFFLINE   PODER

PODER

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted June 20 2013 - 10:14 AM

Perhaps one of the main reasons that CAVALCADE is now considered by some to be so old and dated is that much that was fresh and startling at the time has by now been done to death. UPSTAIRS, DOWNSTAIRS, of course, is a direct descendant. And while losing a main character or two on the Titanic is now almost de rigeur for a DOWNTON ABBEY type of show, at the time it hadn't been done in a Big Hollywood Movie. (Spoiler alert to follow!) My mother saw the show numerous times when it was first released ... she was a major Noey fan ... and she often said that when the honeymooning couple on the ocean liner part, and we see the Titantic life preserver, the gasp in the theater sounded like a whole auditorium of people had just been punched in the stomach! For myself, I can't WAIT for this to be released. And after that I'd like Coward's astonishing THE SCOUNDREL, please!!!

• Rob_Ray and rsmithjr like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users