What's new

satellite vs fios (1 Viewer)

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
After being a DISH customer for 4 and 1/2 years, I'm thinking it's time to switch over to Verizon FIOS. I already have Verizon phone and internet, so it will be nice to consolidate down to one bill. Looking at the pricing options, it looks like once I factor in equipment, I'll be at about the same price overall.

But so far, I foresee several advantages to switching:
-local subchannels. I get none through DISH.
-ESPNU HD...along with all of the other Disney owned HD channels.
-many, many more channels (going from DISH 200 to the FIOS Extreme HD)

The only channels of note that I will lose are TCM HD (still have the SD feed), and the CBS Sports Network (of which I watched one college football game two seasons ago when VT played at Marshall).

I just want to make sure I'm looking at the right options for equipment. I know I can ask Verizon, but I think here I have a better chance at getting an understandable answer without someone trying to upgrade me.

Currently, the setup I have with DISH is one receiver with two tuners. I have two TVs hooked up to it (living room and bedroom). Both are HDTVs, but the receiver only outputs one as HD. With this setup, I can record two shows at a time on the DVR. Of course, if I'm recording two shows, I can't watch any others. I also have the two TVs linked, so they both show the same thing. This way, I can take advantage of both tuners and follow two channels at once, and keep the ability to rewind.

With FIOS, I'm a little confused on their DVR equipment. It looks like on either DVR they have, I can record two shows. My understanding of the difference between multi-room DVR and standard DVR is that the MR-DVR will interface with other set top boxes in the house. So I could set up a recording and possibly watch it from the bedroom TV. If I just had the standard DVR, I could only access it from the living room. I don't do a lot of DVR stuff in the bedroom, but it is nice if I can't find anything before bed to put on a recent DVR show to fall asleep to.

Finally, I'm thinking of adding a third TV to the cable system. I have another HDTV downstairs in the office/playroom area. It'll mainly be used for background noise and entertaining the little one. I'm leaning towards just getting the $5/month cable card. I don't need DVR or "interfacing" capability on this set. Just turn it on and watch TV, like we used to do in the old days.

So, I'm thinking I would need to get the multi-room DVR (for the living room), a set top box (for the bedroom), and a cable card (for downstairs). This sounds like it would cover everything I want without overkill, and I would basically maintain the same functionality I have with DISH currently.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure about FIOS, but DirecTV is a pretty good option to consider as well. I have the Genie set-up that enable up to 5 recordings at once. it has 5 tuners and the 1080p on demand movies are like watching a Blu-ray disc. Local channels are included; however, the sub local channels are provided by me using a 30 dollar HD Digital antenna hanging of the wall. They have a special right now that the Genie set up for up to 4 t.v.s.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks