What's new

Using HT Reciever as a Stereo Amplifier - Pushing 6 ohm Speakers (1 Viewer)

mrdontknow

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
So my old Fisher Stereo amplifier finally died, it was a great unit, but 30 years old.

I have an HTIB amplifier, Onkyo HT-R510, that doesn't support HDMI. So I bought an updated one for my HT.

I want to use the Onkyo as a Stereo amplifier for both indoor and outdoor. Problem is my outdoor speakers are Yamaha's that are 6 ohm, the Onkyo outputs 8 ohms.

I hooked it up, not a lot sound, and when I cranked up the volume the amp must have overloaded and shut down. I hooked up the original speakers, everything works.

I have tried the Yamaha's as both A & B speakers to no avail. Do I have to ditch my Yamaha's or is there something I can do to use the amp with them.

I've done some research, but I'd really like a link to speaker impedance vs amp output.

Thanks for your help,

MrDontKnow

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I guess the Onkyo is O.K. with the indoor speakers?

I'm very surprised the Onkyo shut down when connected to 6 ohm speakers. Onkyo's, even of that vintage, have always had fairly strong amp sections. I wonder if there's something else that caused it like bare strands of speaker wire touching the receivers cabinet. Maybe those Yamaha's are really much lower then 6 ohm. I'm currently running two sets of 4 ohm speakers with two different 8 ohm receivers and nothing has shut down (yet!). The Onkyo should be able to handle 6 ohm speakers, with plenty of output.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Are you using both sets of speakers at once? How long are speaker wire runs and what are you using?

mrdontknow

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
First, thanks for the responses.

To answer the questions:
1) 2 Indoor Polk speakers R50's (8 ohms) 2 outdoor Yamaha's (6ohms)
Output could be heard from the Polk speakers, but not Yamaha's
When cranked up, Onkyo cut out.
Waited 5 min's, tried again, same result.

2) 2 Indoor Polk Speakers worked fine running alone.

3) 2 outdoor Yamah 's connected to B speaker lines
Same results as #1

4) 2 outdoor Yamaha's connected to A speaker lines (surrond front)
Same results as #1

Inside Speaker wires are good ones, not great big ones, but are older, 14 guage
if I remember correctly, Length: 35 feet

Outside wires, run through the walls to the outside.
If I remember correctly 14/2. Length 50 feet

This all did work very fine with my old Fisher, don't remember the model number though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks