What's new

Little clarification of Janus and Criterion... (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I need to replace some of my "loaned and never getting back" dvds. Some of which I may replace with the BD.

This will be general as I don't even know which movies are even missing at the moment, but I'll start with the 3 I know of, and those "that know" can offer what I need to know. And the info could be relevant for others to use if buying the movies the first time...

Anyway...the movies...

Forbidden Games
Amarcord
The Hidden Fortress

No I haven't done due diligence, but it looks to be that Criterion is blocking doing due diligence cause the "Essential Art House" versions are all OOP and replaced with a newer Criterion version(and of course I could be wrong).

Anyway, for those of you that have had both(where there is both)...buy an OOP EAH or buy the Criterion?

To ease recommendations, I have no problem double dipping if the "prior to Criterion total involvement" EAH looks better...but the Criterion has better extras.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Both editions of The Hidden Fortress are still available: regular Criterion and EAH. if you don't care about extras, I'd probably hunt down a used copy of the EAH edition, as it'll be cheaper.

Forbidden Games is just plain out of print (both the regular Criterion and EAH). It's also nowhere to be found in Criterion's Hulu Plus collection, which leads me to suspect that they no longer have the rights. I spotted a cheap used copy of the EAH edition on Barnes & Noble ($13.98) if you're interested. Click here.

Both EAH editions are identical to the Criterion editions, but with the bonus features omitted, so you'll always pay less for those... I guess it comes down to whether you want the extras (I always do).

I don't believe Amarcord was ever released under the EAH banner, but the early DVD (spine #4) has been superseded by a newer edition (blu-ray and DVD). The original DVD can be found cheap, but i'd definitely go with the newer DVD edition (or, better yet, the blu-ray!).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I realized today my Amarcord was a PAL. That is probably why I couldn't find the cover I had anywhere...

Who has that is keeping it(I get invited over there for steak/beer all the time...so no biggy), so I'll probably pick up the newest Criterion of it.

So far I've found 7 movies and the EAH/Criterion(complete involvement) means the prior EAH are harder to find. I've found them all, just have to decide to replace what I had...or, in the case of 2 of them(not counting the Amarcord) move on to Blu...or their "updated" versions...

This was one of those things where I didn't realize Criterion was "always involved" with Janus. I knew they were with Kino Lorber...but hey. Times change, money changes hands...titles get swapped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks