• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 of 42 schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 11,988 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 08 2013 - 07:53 PM

Are any of the OPPO Bluray players region free?

Not w/o a hardware hack...

http://www.bombayele..._regionfree.htm

#22 of 42 LouA

LouA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted September 10 2013 - 06:35 PM

Not w/o a hardware hack...

http://www.bombayele..._regionfree.htm

I'm not sure if I want to get a hacked OPPO player .  I guess my regular all region DVD will suffice for the time being. Meanwhile I sent an email to the Karel Zeman site last weekend but neve recieved an invoice . I'll have to check to see if it got sent to my spam file .

#23 of 42 LouA

LouA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted September 13 2013 - 12:05 AM

Finally got my invoice (around $35 US) and ordered. I'll be looking forward to seeing these 3 films.

#24 of 42 Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted September 13 2013 - 11:16 AM

I received mine on Monday (took less than two weeks to get here) but I haven't had a chance to watch them yet. Something else I would not have known about had it not been for HTF members. :)

#25 of 42 Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted October 16 2013 - 03:56 PM

The Pal Pay charge cleared my credit card back on September 22nd and I still have not received the discs.  How long have the rest of you had to wait to receive these?  One post said it only took two weeks. 

#26 of 42 LouA

LouA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted October 16 2013 - 04:59 PM

I got mine in about 7 - 8 days . It's posible yours were lost in the mail . You should contact the Karel Zemen people .

#27 of 42 Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted October 16 2013 - 06:21 PM

Sent them an e-mail tonight along with a copy of the original invoice e-mail they sent last month.  Hope this can be resolved easily.  I really want to have these films.

#28 of 42 LouA

LouA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted October 17 2013 - 05:46 PM

Sent them an e-mail tonight along with a copy of the original invoice e-mail they sent last month.  Hope this can be resolved easily.  I really want to have these films.

Good luck, but they seem pretty nice. I sure you'll be able to resolve this.

Edited by LouA, October 17 2013 - 05:46 PM.

#29 of 42 Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted October 25 2013 - 12:44 PM

Yesterday I finally got them.  The handwriting  on the address was a bit sloppy and so went to a neighbor's house who travels a lot and never checks his mail.  Anyone... got it and sampled FABULOUS WORLD... very impressive.  I can see new details in many scenes.  Thanks to all who recommended this.

#30 of 42 LouA

LouA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted October 25 2013 - 04:20 PM

Yesterday I finally got them.  The handwriting  on the address was a bit sloppy and so went to a neighbor's house who travels a lot and never checks his mail.  Anyone... got it and sampled FABULOUS WORLD... very impressive.  I can see new details in many scenes.  Thanks to all who recommended this.

Good news - I'm g;lad you got your order .  The films are very enjoyable, nice transfers , but I still wouldn't mind a Criterion set of dubbed versions .

#31 of 42 Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted October 26 2013 - 05:07 AM

Agreed and on blu ray.  Just watched the first half hour of the Baron Munchusen film and was amazed.  I don't think this one got a release here though.  Certainly a U.S release would make more people aware of Zeman.

#32 of 42 Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted November 11 2013 - 10:10 AM

Well... just got a note from the Zeman museum.... the three films I just bought on dvd are now going to be on blu ray... and they are also putting out two more Zeman films.  I guess they are seeing a demand for these films.

#33 of 42 LouA

LouA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted November 11 2013 - 05:05 PM

Well... just got a note from the Zeman museum.... the three films I just bought on dvd are now going to be on blu ray... and they are also putting out two more Zeman films.  I guess they are seeing a demand for these films.

I recieved that email too. If I knew they were going to release blurays I would have waited to order!  Maybe the films will get a US release on bluray. I'm thinking of taking a chance on at least one of the other films that are being issued  , although it would be a "blind buy" since  I don't know much about either of those films . I don't think they were released in the US at all, not even to television.

#34 of 42 Dick

Dick

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts

Posted November 12 2013 - 02:41 PM

NEWS | PROGRAM | KAREL ZEMAN FILM CLUB | ELEKTRONEMO | CONTACT

Karel Zeman Museum

Vítejte ve světě zázraků!

The Sorcerer's Apprentice and The Stolen Airship on DVD!

Dear Karel Zeman fans!

We've got more good news.

Now, in the Christmas period, we're bringing out two new titles in the Karel Zeman Film Club Series.

The Karel Zeman Museum is issuing a newly digitized version of the films The Stolen Airship and The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

The films Journey to the Beginning of Time, The Fabulous World of Jules Verne and The Fabulous Baron Munchausen will be made available for the first time on Blu-ray.

A further tip for a gift? Give your loved ones an exceptional experience. Give them a full day at the Karel Zeman Museum during stay in Prague!

Kostýmy v expozici Muzea

DVDs, including Blu – ray, gift tickets to the Museum and “Experience Packages” can be ordered today.

If ordered now, we guarantee delivery by 15 December 2013. The price per DVD is 129 CZK. Price of the collection of all 5 Zeman films issued on DVD so far is 499 CZK. Price of the collection of the 3 films on Blu - ray disc is 599 CZK. Gift packages for the museum start at 200 CZK! Shipping does not exceed 330 CZK.
1 EUR = apx 27 CZK / 1 USD = apx 20 CZK.

Place your orders on info@muzeumkarlazemana.cz or reply this email to order your DVD!. Feel free to ask for more information!

Have a nice day!

Your Karel Zeman Museum
Orders: Lenka Lukáčková

Tel: +420 724 341 091

The Stolen Airship

news.jpg

The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Zeman's feature-length animated film was an international co-production with the then Federal Republic of Germany in 1977. The fairy tale is based on a book by Otfried Preussler, a wonderful story about a boy named Krabat, originally a Lusatian Serb legend from the 17th and 18th centuries that spread and occurs later in many countries around the world in different variations – the battle of the sorcerer's apprentice with his master. It is the story of a boy who, on the threshold of adulthood, is approached by dark forces and is fascinated by them until he realizes that they can kill him. The Sorcerer 's Apprentice is about the strength of a heart that cannot be changed, that controls our feelings and behavior and can be a source of hatred, malice, envy or love and joy. In this eternal battle only the path of willpower and faith in love leads to liberation from the snares of evil.

The Sorcerer's Apprentice

The Stolen Airship

This film from 1966 marked Zeman's charming return to the world of Jules Verne and the age of steam. It was also his first wide-screen film. In it, Zeman was inspired by Art Nouveau and newspaper collages and used the experience he had gained from previously filming The Fabulous World of Jules Verne. Based on the novel, it tells of the two-year vacation adventures of five boys. The story begins at the Prague Jubilee Exhibition in 1891. Five boys meet in Prague at the Prague Exhibition Grounds, where they see a fantastic miracle - dirigible airship owned by the businessman (and trickster) Findejs. To back up his advertising, Findejs offers the boys a trip around Prague free of charge, but when paying guests appear, he tries to throw them out. He fails to evict them and the boys suddenly find themselves alone in the airship over the city. It proves to be anything but dirigible, and they cannot control where it goes! First, they skim safely across Europe, but then they crash on an unknown island in the middle of the ocean. Here they enjoy a number of typical Verne adventures until they are rescued by an expedition organized by the sympathetic journalist Ardan.

„Proč vůbec točím filmy? Hledám Zemi nikoho, ostrov, na který ještě nevstoupila noha filmařova, planetu, na které ještě žádný režisér nevztyčil vlajku objevitele, svět, který existuje jen v pohádkách.“ Karel Zeman

If you do not want to receive information from Karel Zeman Museum, unsubscribe here:.
Karel Zeman Muzsum, Saská 3, Praha 1, 118 00 Czech Republic,
E-mail: info@muzeumkarlazemana.cz, Telefon

Edited by Dick, November 12 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#35 of 42 Tim Munton

Tim Munton

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted November 12 2013 - 07:09 PM

All KZ's films are marvellous - & the 2 new releases are no exception :

I saw Sorceror's Apprentice with English language narration once in London,

& many times since  on the Japanese DVD release ( which alas has no English subs or dubs ).

Its very good on the 1st watch & then seems to get still better each time

That it's now out from the museum with English subs is fantastic & I look forward to ordering it soon.

Stolen Airship is superb too & at one time was my 2nd favouite KZ film ( after the Baron - always my top favourite ).

Incidentally - as perhaps everyone may already be aware - Stolen Airship is already available;

within the USA via Amazon or worldwide via Movies Unlimited :

It was released a year or 2 ago by a company called Video Dimensions;

they have been officially liscenced for it by the  Czech copyright holders 

( as well as KZ's Off On A Comet [ aka  On The Comet ] which they've also released ) :

The Video Dimensions version is burned onto DVD-r's only;

but it does look very good, is official as mentioned, & has great English subtitles -

so I'd hazard a guess ( but could be wrong ) that it's essentially the same remastered print with English subs that the museum has now issued.

The museum version being an actual DVD & in PAL format might be transferred to disc a bit better possibly -

I have the USA one so when the museum one arrives I'll compare them.

When the museum eventually releases Off On A Comet;

again I'd guess it'll probably be the same essential version with the same subs as the Video Dimensions USA release -

but again I could of course be wrong!

As has probably been mentioned already, the Museum will be issuing all of KZs films;

releasing them between 2012 to about 2015/16 -

they said "over 3 years" when they brought out the 1st one in late 2012.

Being a KZ enthusiast ( or "nut" as some might put it! ) I look forward to them all;

especially as there are 2 which I've never seen with English subs or dubs -

ie 

Treasure Of Bird Island,

Tale Of John & Mary

& am looking forward to better quality prints/remastering especially re

Treasure Of Bird Island

Sinbad ( 1001 Nights )

[ The French DVD of Sinbad had  superb mint or near-mint condition picture quality

but was in French language with no English subs,

also it contained only 5 of the 7 films of Sinbad's voyages,

while as some of you may know the USA VHS release had English dubbing & all 7 tales but the print was mediocre ;

quite watchable but with very little visual detail;

& of course KZ is very often an absolute master of fine visual detail! ]

Also hopefully his "rarities"will be included ( ie KZ films which - as far as I am aware - have never been released anywhere yet on any home video format; not even on the Japanese DVD releases - )

ie

Mr Prokouk Friend Of The Animals,

Mr Prokouk Acrobat,

Mr Prokouk Detective,

Black Diamond

& possibly a couple more.

Also:

Yesterday I asked the Museum on what date the Blu-ray ( of Journey / J.Verne / Baron Prasil ) will be available;

They replied a few hours later, saying it will be available from 25th November ( 2013 ) -

I'll be upgrading from the excellent museum DVDs of those 3

& ordering the Blu-ray along with Sorceror's Apprentice & Stolen Airship DVDs

on around the 25th! ( all together to save on postage ).

One last musing;

I wonder if all the KZ films will be subsequently reissued by the Museum in the near future in Blu-ray editions - ?

Or if his 3 most famous films will be the only ones to receive such an edition.

Edited by Tim Munton, November 12 2013 - 08:12 PM.

TimM

#36 of 42 Jari K

Jari K

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted January 07 2014 - 02:50 AM

Sinbad ( 1001 Nights )

[ The French DVD of Sinbad had  superb mint or near-mint condition picture quality

but was in French language with no English subs,

also it contained only 5 of the 7 films of Sinbad's voyages,

while as some of you may know the USA VHS release had English dubbing & all 7 tales but the print was mediocre ;

quite watchable but with very little visual detail;

Yesterday I asked the Museum on what date the Blu-ray ( of Journey / J.Verne / Baron Prasil ) will be available;

They replied a few hours later, saying it will be available from 25th November ( 2013 )

Few questions:

- Any news of the Blu-ray releases?

- "A 1000 and 1 Nights AKA The Adventures of Sinbad the Sailor" has been released in various countries on DVD (link + there's also Scandinavian release). Only version with English audio is released on VHS? What is the English language "history" of this film? 

http://dvdfreak.blou...ajednenoci&dz=0

#37 of 42 Andrew M

Andrew M

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted January 07 2014 - 01:00 PM

I picked up my new Blu-ray on Saturday at my neighborhood Post Office.  All 3 titles are on one disc. Did a quick spot check on Fabulous World of Jules Verne, the title I'm most fond of.  It looked good but I didn't have the original DVD to make an in depth comparison. 

#38 of 42 Jari K

Jari K

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted January 07 2014 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for the info. Fully English friendly? Lossless audio? Etc.

#39 of 42 Andrew M

Andrew M

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted January 07 2014 - 01:42 PM

Menus are in English and Czech. Subtitles are in English. Sound is mono on the features but 5.1 on some of the special features.

I don't have the Blu-ray with me at work (on break right now).

#40 of 42 Andrew M

Andrew M

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted January 07 2014 - 01:45 PM

zeman-cover.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users