What's new

When exercise is abuse? (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Hi HTF friends. I have a question and I don't know where to pursue it. I live in SW Florida and my son is involved in football at the high school. He tells me that every practice there are kids who exercise to the point of vomiting, dizziness and other bad stuff. It is not always the same kids. I am getting concerned that the coaches are over-doing it. Especially living in one of the hottest and most humid part of the country. I think the coaches are playing a dangerous game with these boys - and my son. (he is very athletic, and participates in track and weightlifting also)My question is - am i overreacting? If not - whom do I go to with my concerns? Of course, this team is a winning team with a long term coach who has lots of community support. I wouldn't expect the principal or even the school board to be very sympathetic. It seems to me though that there has to be some state level guidelines or health standards.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I don't think you're overreacting. Perhaps you should research the guidelines/standards. Then get in touch with other parents who might be concerned--strength in numbers.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Before you do anything...go sit in at some the practices to see for yourself--especially since you are getting the information through the filter that is your son. You are going to want to see things first-hand before you go talk to anyone.

You could also ask your pediatrician what he/she thinks. They might also have immediate access to what the schools should/should not be doing.

Good luck. Report back.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
schan1269 said:
Most high schools here in Indiana don't allow parents at practices of any sport. It is a crackdown on "parental bullying".
I've never heard anything of the sort here in New York State.

HERE is a link to the NYSPHSAA rules governing high school athletics. The rules for football practices are on page 7.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well, abuse might be what do the coaches do afterwards? Vomiting can be very dehydrating or might be something worse so I would think the coaches need to remind the players to rehydrate with waters and electrolytes and stuff afterwards.. I don't necessarily think it would be abusive unless they are not treated properly afterwards.

Jay

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Thanks everyone for your input.

I don't know what the rules are at the schools for parents attending, but I do know there is a very strong unwritten rule against parent interference. MY son would be mortified if I were to want to discuss this with his coach. From past experience I also know that the coach and the principal are not too interested in parental discussions either.

To pursue this I will likely have to get a third-party proxy. I like the idea of a physician. I will also talk with my personal trainer about this. Thanks for steering me in those directions.

I've investigated Florida high school sports and found the FHSAA. Here is an interesting piece about some standards they ahve a bout hydration - but not much about over-exertion or exhaustion.

http://www.fhsaa.org/news/2012/0625

There also is contact info where I could ask an anonymous question should I get dead-ends locally. http://www.fhsaa.org/staff

I didn't participate in high-school sports, so I am on uncertain footing. I really don't know what safety standards there are or how to address my concerns.

Thanks everyone

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Now there are a few other issues...Does this HS have a longstanding history of players moving on to college sports(any sport) and are there any pro athletes(again, any sport)?That creates a twofold problem...if there is a problem.However, if this IS the case, find somebody in a D-league, Europe and ask via email. Find out what their first hand experience was.The HS I went to went from the 35th largest school in the state, to the 4th in 15 years(no HS in Indianapolis is outside the top 50).They got there for two reasons...1. Sports. Very long tradition of 40+ athletes a year getting college full rides. And at my prior HS, marching band was a sport. Add in their yearly college full rides...the school claims 100 students getting full rides in sports/music 14 times out of 40 years.2. The township refusing to build a 2nd HS.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
You need to investigate further. In addition to your trainer and pediatrician, I would ask other parents of kids on the team if they've been hearing similar stories. Have a serious discussion with your son about actual numbers of incidents that he's witnessed, as opposed to his general impressions.

I understand the hesitancy to possibly antagonize the coaches/ school, and there might be nothing especially bad going on, but on the other hand, and I speak here as a south Florida team parent and coach, IMO this is a case of better safe than sorry. However bad you might feel now, it's nothing compared to what people will feel if one of those kids keels over at practice. It's worth risking a little embarrassment.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
So I spoke with my trainer and she seems to think it has more to do with diet. The kids do take regular and mandated hydration breaks, but some are eating nothing prior - or a heavy mel prior and therefore vomiting. It is an interesting theory and I suspect it has merit. I think I'll let it go for now.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That can come into play. One small thing you can do is replace all lettuce with fresh spinach. Even when I go to Subway, I get spinach.I now prefer fresh over cooked. Little carrot, tomato and drizzled with olive oil and vinegar. Around here I have tons of flavored vinegars(peach, raspberry, apple etc) and just that small changeover makes a world of difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks