Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

7.1 Mid Range Surround System

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   g_wiesenberg

g_wiesenberg

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 07:14 AM

Hey,So I've got roughly 1k to blow on a new surround syatem and want the best bang for my buck. Ive got a marants SR5600 receiver and a Panasonic 65VT50 television. I've thought about building my own cabinets but at the end of the day I just want something easy and like I said before, great sound quality and clarity. Any suggestioms on what to get?

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,710 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted June 14 2013 - 07:22 AM

Are you keeping that AVR?Have any speakers already?Sources?

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   g_wiesenberg

g_wiesenberg

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 07:33 AM

Yes I am keeping my AVR and right now I have a panasonic 5.1 crappy out of the box system. Which is why I want to upgrade. I plan on getting an Oppo Bdp -103 and also stream from my NAS.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   sean1976

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted June 14 2013 - 08:31 AM

For that budget I would recommend two systems :

First,  the Andrew Jones designed speakers from Pioneer get rave reviews from everyone and are supposedly unmatched at their price point:

http://www.amazon.co...jones bookshelf

Pair it up with a Klipsch RD-12 subhttp://www.amazon.co...s=klipsch rd-12

Option two:  A smaller Canadian company called Fluance,  I had there lower end product the SXseries before my PSB's and thought they sounded great.  For your price point you could get their high end series:

http://fluance.com/p...em.eng-104.html

Then get either the bipolar or a second set of two bookshelves to round out to the 7.1 depending on how you like your sound dispersion:

http://fluance.com/product/Fluance_XLBP_Wide_Dispersion_Bipolar_Surround_Sound_Speakers.eng-111.html

The floorstanding speakers in the above set have subs built in,  and although they won't shake your walls like the klipsch would,  will do a good job of reproducing bass in music and home theater at reasonable levels.  They look great too. They also have ( I believe ) free shipping and are sent out the day after you place the order.

One last trick ( I learned ) if you do decide on these,  go to the order page then try to navigate away,  it will offer you an extra 5 percent off your order if you " change your mind " lol.

Cheers, good luck with your search!

Edited by sean1976, June 14 2013 - 08:38 AM.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves " -

Edward R. Murrow

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,710 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 11:21 AM

Other good options...BIC DVInfinity PrimusPolk Monitor/New Monitor/Monitor ii(depends where you find them, who has which variation)

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   g_wiesenberg

g_wiesenberg

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 02:28 PM

Ok I think im going to go with the pioneers and klipsch sub. For my rears though what do you guys think about bipolar speakers? I love the look of them and everything im reading and hearing says theyre good.. thoughts? And if positive, what brand/model?

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,710 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 02:37 PM

Di/bi-pole only works when you place them correctly. Also, you don't mix brands. Since the Pio AJ isn't available with di/bi-pole...forget the di/bi-pole, or forget the Pio AJ and find another speaker brand/series.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   sean1976

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted June 14 2013 - 09:17 PM

Ok I think im going to go with the pioneers and klipsch sub. For my rears though what do you guys think about bipolar speakers? I love the look of them and everything im reading and hearing says theyre good.. thoughts? And if positive, what brand/model?

My old set of speakers ( the Fluance ) had bi polars and I quite liked them for atmosphere during movies... BUT,  I was running 5.1,  so it was great having the sound seeming to come from behind AND beside me ... when I switched to 7.1 I went to direct firing speakers, because I didn't need the sound bouncing off the walls to encompass me,  as I had extra speakers that actually fired at me.  So what I'm saying is for a 5.1 set up I would recommend from personal experience the bi polar speakers,  but for 7.1 get the direct firing ( regular bookshelf ) speakers.  You don't want sound bouncing off the walls and interfering with sound waves that are already coming towards you from your second set of surrounds,  it will muddy the sound.  ( with 7.1 you want to know if sound is coming from the left of you or to the rear left - not somewhere in that general direction,  otherwise just just stick with 5.1) That's my opinion anyways.

... Your right though they do look cool. 

Edited by sean1976, June 14 2013 - 09:39 PM.

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves " -

Edward R. Murrow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users