Roman Polanski's TESS Remastered in 4K from Amazon.de

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   bluirv

bluirv

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted June 12 2013 - 04:10 PM

Roman Polanski's Tess has been remastered in 4K and is currently available from Amazon.de (Germany) for $12 plus postage.

This transfer is region-free and looks stunning. It's the best I've seen of this title.  The audio is dts-HD Master Audio 5.1 in both English and German.

The disc includes 74 minutes of extras including 2 Laurent Bouzereau documentaries, Tess: The Experience and Filming Tess.

This title is expected to be released in the U.S. later this year.  Amazon.uk has the UK version from a marketplace seller for $74.

But why wait until late 2013?

Edited by bluirv, June 12 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,345 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 12 2013 - 07:49 PM

I love this film and would love to finally get a decent version.

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,261 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 12 2013 - 08:33 PM

This is news?  It's been out in France for over six months, maybe more, and it's also out in the UK - all using the same transfer - I believe all are region free but double checking that would be safe.

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,738 posts

Posted June 13 2013 - 03:22 AM

I believe Criterion will be releasing their version of this, too, from the same 4K master.

Vincent

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 744 posts

Posted June 13 2013 - 04:00 AM

This is the only region free edition at the moment.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   bluirv

bluirv

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted June 13 2013 - 01:43 PM

This is news?  It's been out in France for over six months, maybe more, and it's also out in the UK - all using the same transfer - I believe all are region free but double checking that would be safe.

Amazon.uk has this title from a marketplace seller for $74!

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 750 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted June 13 2013 - 02:03 PM

That is an out of print digibook version of the French release. The regular French release is available at a normal price, as is the UK version:

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B009XDPNXE/

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   bluirv

bluirv

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted June 13 2013 - 07:23 PM

That is an out of print digibook version of the French release. The regular French release is available at a normal price, as is the UK version:

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/B009XDPNXE/

But are these region-free releases like the German one?

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted June 14 2013 - 04:19 PM

I believe Criterion will be releasing their version of this, too, from the same 4K master.

Vincent

THATS why you wait.
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 580 posts

Posted June 21 2013 - 10:27 AM

The first film Polanski made after he ran away like a little sissy girlie-man. That's what I think about his decision to run away from the law.

I also think it's pathetic of him to dedicate this film to Sharon Tate, when in fact, he cheated on her many times. He did not deserve her. At all.

#11 of 16 ONLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,839 posts

Posted June 21 2013 - 10:44 AM

The first film Polanski made after he ran away like a little sissy girlie-man. That's what I think about his decision to run away from the law.

I also think it's pathetic of him to dedicate this film to Sharon Tate, when in fact, he cheated on her many times. He did not deserve her. At all.

You are of course an expert on the private lives of Polanski and Sharon Tate, and knew them both well. I'm sure you would not debase this forum by repeating malicious Internet gossip without first hand knowledge of the facts.

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted June 21 2013 - 10:47 AM

This thread is to discuss the merits of the man's work...NOT to make moral judgement on his personal life...how would YOU like it if one of us talked like this about YOU online???

Edited by lukejosephchung, June 21 2013 - 10:48 AM.

• Robin9 likes this

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 21 2013 - 11:01 AM

This is probably not the thread to discuss pedophiles, maybe we can start another thread if they allow it, it's interesting to me that he knew Kinski when she was fourteen and then there is the Charlotte Lewis story, if you are going to discuss the director and his work then maybe we should be able to discuss his history away from film and with a point at looking more closely at the work he has done.

I like his films, i don't like him, it's not gossip if you have been convicted of the crime, he has, i don't see how you can possibly sit comfortably with not discussing the person, morals do come into it, okay i'll not say another word now.

Tess is a very good film, transfer should be excellent for this release.

Edited by FoxyMulder, June 21 2013 - 11:24 AM.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   KMR

KMR

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted June 21 2013 - 11:45 AM

Tess is a very good film, transfer should be excellent for this release.

Almost anything would be an improvement over the absolutely atrocious Region 1 DVD!  (Although I think most of the problems in that were due more to data compression than the actual transfer itself.)

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,001 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 21 2013 - 12:24 PM

it's not gossip if you have been convicted of the crime...

There were two topics being discussed though. One is a fact (Polanski entered into a plea agreement) but the other (Polanski's infidelity and whether he should have dedicated a movie to his brutally murdered wife) is gossip and making a judgment about something like that is BS.

• Robin9 likes this

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 21 2013 - 12:37 PM

There were two topics being discussed though. One is a fact (Polanski entered into a plea agreement) but the other (Polanski's infidelity and whether he should have dedicated a movie to his brutally murdered wife) is gossip and making a judgment about something like that is BS.

I have no problem with him dedicating a movie to Sharon Tate, infidelity or not it's his right and actually a respectable thing to do.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users