What's new

Home Theater OR Computer Speakers (1 Viewer)

gwonders

Auditioning
Real Name
Gabe Wonders
Hi Everyone!

My Problem:
My 8 year old Denon AVR-1602 5.1 Receiver has just died on me. The receiver turns off by itself after seconds of being on. I did some troubleshooting and narrowed it down to the hardware and don't believe it is worth repairing such an old receiver when the cost of a new one would be the same or cheaper.

My Current Setup:
Two Sony SS-MF-400H Tower Speakers, 12" Sony SA-WM500 Subwoofer, all were connected to my Denon AVR-1602 reciever. 42" Dynex LCD HDTV, Samsung BluRay player, xbox 360 elite and HTPC (laptop). All use HDMI except the laptop is DVI to HDMI. My HTPC is used 80% of the time. I recently moved to an apartment where the living room spans 20'x12'.

My Alternatives:
1. Hook up my computer speakers (Klipsch ProMedia 2.1). Since the laptop doesn't have HDMI output this will require me to split the sound between the HTPC and the TV. I am currently doing this and notice a lot of static when I have both plugged in and therefore manually plug in/out an aux cord from the tv (headphone jack) to the Klipsch multimedia port when I need to listen to the Xbox or BluRay player.

2. Buy a new receiver.

3. All my equipment is dated by new receiver and speakers.

I'm leaning towards a 2.0 or 2.1 setup due to my small living room and plan on living in an apartment for the next 4 to 5 years. I also live upstairs and don't really need a lot of bass to annoy my neighbors.

What's your suggestions? Do you have other alternatives? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Yes I 2nd the accessories for less. they are Authorised for the brands they sell. I bought my Marantz from there years ago and it has been flawless in its performance and such a good deal I get it for less then half it's original price ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks