What's new

Xbox One currently winning pre-order sales race over PS4 at Amazon (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Give that XBox 360 only outsells PS3 in the US, this is pretty interesting...

Despite the reams of negative press it's picked up so far, the Xbox One seems the more popular of the two next-gen consoles, just edging ahead of Sony's machine with 2.4% more pre-order sales through leading online retailer Amazon.co.uk.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Interesting. Maybe people just don't care that Big Brother Forever MicroSoft is going to be looking over their shoulders and controlling their content access. I'm actually surprised.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Or, the fact that the XBOX has been on full presale for about 6 hours longer. Frankly, once Sony made their DRM announcements, I canceled my XBOX One pre-order and just went with the PS4. Too bad. I've really enjoyed a lot of MS Stuff.. I carry a Windows Phone, work with MS often, but this (to me) was a blunder of epic proportions. I'm at least advising most of the people I know to not spend a dime on the XBOX One. As long as MS keeps their policy, I have no interest in supporting it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
mattCR said:
Or, the fact that the XBOX has been on full presale for about 6 hours longer. Frankly, once Sony made their DRM announcements, I canceled my XBOX One pre-order and just went with the PS4. Too bad. I've really enjoyed a lot of MS Stuff.. I carry a Windows Phone, work with MS often, but this (to me) was a blunder of epic proportions. I'm at least advising most of the people I know to not spend a dime on the XBOX One. As long as MS keeps their policy, I have no interest in supporting it.
That's possible. I've never been totally in one camp or the other. I probably would have eventually bought both, but I have to say the "phone home" DRM and the restrictions on used games and rentals just killed the XBOX1 for me. It isn't all good news on the SONY side though. It sounds like online play through PS network is going to require PS PLUS paid account. I don't online game much, so that negative for other people will have little impact on me; although, I have been looking at subscribing to that service because it sounds like they are offering some good content for "free" at times.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Well, the one thing about PS+ is that you do get a stack of free games. (Example: Unchartered 3 comes out tomorrow free) I picked up quite a few through it: Bioshock 2, etc. So, I have no complaints about PS+, I actually feel as though I get my money worth. In fact, while I am bothered by DRM, a lot of the games I get and use I get free through PS+, I rarely buy immediate disc games.. some exceptions. But basically saying: we're going to allow rentals and used games, whereas Microsoft is saying: NO. Which side do you think a lot of sellers (like Gamestops) are going to be on?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. I mean, up here in Canada, even FutureShop resells used games and they are primarily a consumer electronics retailer, not a game shop per se. I'm pretty sure EB Games up here is going to be breathing easier now that PS4 is going to allow rentals and used games. MS is going to be scrambling to regroup and rethink their lameass attempt at putting the interests of game publishers over the interests of the demographic that buys their game systems.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm still getting both! I have no doubts the Xbone will be very competitive over its life and I am excited to see just how well they transition to all digital sales. In this case they could have learned a lesson from Apple: they should have shitcanned disks altogether and let the chips fall where they might. If this were the first all digital system we wouldn't be having this conversation at all.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Sam- that only works if games aren't $60 a whack. If ms said full drm, download only and games are 1/2 price, I'm there. But games still 60$???

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm really surprised that people are ordering it, the price is £429.99 in the UK, seems very expensive to me, then you add in all the DRM and used game restrictions and i actually can't understand why people would want it, is it brand loyalty or perhaps some of the exclusive games are driving pre-order sales.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm leaning to the PS4 now, I might even pre-order it! I want to hear more on this GEiki or whatever the cloud gaming thing is. Am I going to be able to play my PS3 games or not? It's absolutely STUPID that my PS+ membership carries over to the PS4 but not all the games they gave me. :S

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
FoxyMulder said:
I'm really surprised that people are ordering it, the price is £429.99 in the UK, seems very expensive to me, then you add in all the DRM and used game restrictions and i actually can't understand why people would want it, is it brand loyalty or perhaps some of the exclusive games are driving pre-order sales.
It's the brand. Frankly, most people don't really know about the DRM controls and such. But once mainstream press starts going after MS for their draconian DRM policies, the PS4 will be the system of choice.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping that the Killer Instinct announcement would make me WANT an XBOne, but they gimped it by being a "free to play" downloadable-only game where you pay for each character or bundles of characters. That says to me "we didn't plan well, the game is far from done, so we're releasing it in chunks."

I probably won't preorder either console, but if I did it would be the PS4. I'm REALLY excited for it, but the best games seem to be at least a year away. Plus there's a bunch of Wii U stuff coming out by the holidays that looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks