-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

speaker location on screen porch

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 daigie

daigie

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted June 10 2013 - 01:13 PM

Hi All,

I am currently building a new screen porch and am trying to figure out where to locate speakers for music.  We will have one wall at the existing house where we could install speakers or anywhere in the ceiling.  The other three walls are all screen and open.  I am planning to hook up the speakers to a Sonos system.  I was thinking if I placed them in the walls I would be able to hear them better outside the screen porch in the back yard.  Is this a good idea and if so what height should I place the speakers?  The ceiling height is about 9' and the screen porch is about 12'x 13'.  13' along the house and 12' out away from the house.  Also any sugestions for speaker brand?

Thanks for any input!

Steve

#2 of 2 hotrodguy

hotrodguy

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts
  • LocationL.A.

Posted June 10 2013 - 03:57 PM

Hey Steve,

I just added speakers to my patio (without screens) and placed them under the eaves to better protect from the elements. I also put plastic up in the winter to help keep the patio dryer. I am in SoCal so winter isn't that big a deal.

If you want more sound in the back yard, then I would definitely suggest putting them on the house wall aiming towards the yard. Speakers are somewhat directional and ceiling speakers would fill the porch but may not be enough for the back yard. If you're going to put them in the wall, place them just low enough so the majority of the sound will clear the top of the screens to better allow the sound into the back yard. Also keep them just far enough away from the screen walls to help protect them in inclimate weather.

As far as brand goes, that would up to your ears (and budget) for the sound you like best but I would suggest outdoor type speakers as they are designed for the elements. This will give you a long lasting experience that you can enjoy for years to come.

Keep us posted.

Time to play!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users