Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

iOS in the car

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 of 46 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,134 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted January 19 2015 - 02:35 PM

I think Apple went for "too simple" first gen carplay.  As I said my Uconnect unit is fantastic and I have no idea what kind of OS is under the hood, but it works great even with Apple devices.

I've read and seen so little, I don't have an informed opinion; though I have high expectations -- perhaps too high. Having iOS Maps displayed on screen and third-party apps like Overcast accessible would be great to me. If Audible has a CarPlay app, that's my trifecta while driving. And having used all manner of standard USB and BT interfaces from Ford, Chevy, Hyundai, and Toyota in rental cars, I can't imagine it would be any worse. Those are pretty basic.

At this point, I'm really just waiting to see if this is a real Apple product. Or one of their distractions they launch and forget about a year later. It's looking more like the latter, presently. But that might be due to conservative auto-makers who only stand to lose money on overpriced, under-performing Nav packages from CarPlay and Android Auto.

#42 of 46 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,261 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 11 2015 - 11:34 AM

The Apple Car, round 2:

http://daringfirebal...affin-apple-car

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#43 of 46 OFFLINE   Keith Plucker

Keith Plucker

Screenwriter

• 1,071 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted February 11 2015 - 03:10 PM

Am the only one that would like to have a sort of "I am driving mode" on my phone and tablet? Just have Car Play/Android Auto run directly on the device itself and design cars so that there is secure (while driving) place to put the device.

That way, you don't need any head unit at all in the car, just a place to securely hold your phone/tablet with charging. I suppose it might be nice to have a AM/FM over the air tuner in the car that the phone/tablet could use but that wouldn't be absolutely necessary.

-KeithP

As far as I'm concerned, it's a damned shame that a field as potentially dynamic and vital as journalism should be overrun with dullards, bums, and hacks, hag-ridden with myopia, apathy, and complacence, and generally stuck in a bog of stagnant mediocrity. - Hunter S. Thompson, 1958, from cover letter he wrote for a newspaper job.

#44 of 46 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 15,134 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted February 11 2015 - 08:35 PM

That would be good for me until I get a CarPlay capable car. I have an Arkon mount in my car, and my iPhone is in it whenever I'm driving. I use it for maps, audiobooks, podcasts, and music always. A CarPlay UI would be great.

#45 of 46 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,261 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted February 20 2015 - 09:53 AM

There's something a happenin here

What is is ain't exactly clear:

http://9to5mac.com/2...ctric-car-team/

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications