Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

World 3D Film Expo III @ Egyptian Theatre

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 of 86 David M. Ballew

David M. Ballew

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted October 20 2013 - 09:36 PM

Richard--W, I regret I did not see your earlier post, else I would have posted this much, much sooner for you.

I'm very glad you asked about it, though: I had neglected to transcribe my own hastily jotted notes until now.

I hope this helps you.

1. Melody Vectograph reel (It was agonizingly obvious that this reel will never make it through a projector again, owing to vinegar syndrome. We were surely the last audience who will ever watch it.)
2. Louisiana Territory footage (I have a note in my margin, "jumpy.")
3. Accidental 3-D -- Charlie Chaplin in The Circus
4. Crespinel footage
5. Alternate footage from Gentleman’s Friend (By "alternate," I mean it was different from the footage shown a week earlier at the European Rarities show.)
6. Audioscopiks
7. Real Thing -- Capstan Cigarettes 1952 (2-D print only)
8. In Tune with Tomorrow (2-D print only)
9. College Capers (In anaglyph format, which was somewhat disappointing because the late Dan Symmes had prepared left and right separations that could have been projected using polarized transmission, but his digital files for them are misplaced or lost.)
10. Kelly’s Plasticons
11. Lumiere test footage (mid-1930s)
12. Segments from New Audioscopiks and Third Dimensional Murder
13. A Day in the Country (Now dated at about 1941, not 1953. I have a note in my margin, “Stereo Laffs,” but I can’t remember what that refers to. It is possibly the name of a projected series of comedic shorts that were meant to be filmed in 3-D, but don’t hold me to that!)
14. Thrills for You (1940) -- Pennsylvania Railroad film
15. Ring of Fear 3-D footage
16. Son of Sinbad outtakes, projected without sound
17. I’ll Sell My Shirt (I have a note in my margin, “1/2." My recollection is that only half the short was shown, because that's the only portion for which a duplicate print could be made. Since that half involved a burlesque girl as opposed to an unfunny comic, I don't imagine anyone was too disappointed!)
18. 3-D Jamboree from Disneyland. (At one point, this appeared to fall out of sync by about one frame in one eye.)

Edited by David M. Ballew, October 20 2013 - 10:05 PM.

#82 of 86 David M. Ballew

David M. Ballew

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted October 20 2013 - 10:19 PM

Let me add one more thing, and in so doing invite you to laugh with me at myself.

A fleeting thought crossed my mind when they announced that next on the program was the Crespinel footage from the early ‘20s: “Oh, that again. This makes the third or fourth time I’ve seen it.”

Immediately I laughed at myself. “You ungrateful knucklehead! Twenty years ago you never dreamed  you’d get to see that footage at all, ever! Now you have the audacity to be bored with it!”

Of course, I want to emphasize that, apart from that one momentary lapse, I have always been grateful for the preservation and presentation efforts of Bob Furmanek and Jeff Joseph and Jack Theakston and others whose names I am forgetting. It has been a privilege and a blessing being able to see all these 3-D films, and I am thankful.

#83 of 86 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,092 posts

Posted October 21 2013 - 08:53 AM

Thanks Mike but let me add this: the clips in the Rarities program are not any rarer than most of the other shorts in the program. It was just a way to run all that stuff in one group.

As an example, shorts like "Nat King Cole with Russ Morgan" and "Carnival in April" have been seen less than some of the Rarities.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

From Daily Variety, four days before the start of principal photography. This listing would remain

for over two months until the film wrapped production in late November 1954.

f75e4e81-ad94-4afd-8b61-5ad8ca634c18_zps

#84 of 86 Who's On First?

Who's On First?

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted October 23 2013 - 04:36 PM

Are there any plans for a World 3D Film Expo IV event?  I read this entire thread to see if this has been discussed yet, but apparently I am the first to ask!

Some friends and I drove about an hour to see Hondo 3-D on opening day of Expo III, and, man, it was a blast.  I sure hope there will be more to come :)

*Edit*

I should also like to also make known my appreciation to those who have made the 2003, 2006, and 2013 Expos possible.  Thank you very next ;)

Edited by Who's On First?, October 23 2013 - 04:42 PM.

#85 of 86 David M. Ballew

David M. Ballew

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted November 03 2013 - 09:34 AM

Did anyone happen to take notes during Stefan Droessler's excellent lecture on the history of European 3-D cinema?

I sure would like a printed recap of all the material he covered that day. For some reason, I did not think to make notes.

#86 of 86 Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted November 04 2013 - 08:28 AM

I have just received The Maze DVD (sadly not in 3-D) from amazon.es. This has removable sub-titles and replaces an old copy of questionable pedigree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users