Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

World 3D Film Expo III @ Egyptian Theatre

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 of 86 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted September 01 2013 - 05:15 PM

THE CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER (WB, 1953), GUN FURY (Columbia, 1953) and FLIGHT TO TANGIER (Paramount, 1953) will be sorely missed this time. I'm confident that THE BUBBLE (1966) would get a better reception this year, too. I've always like the film. So much has changed for 3-D movies since 2006.

#42 of 86 revgen

revgen

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted September 05 2013 - 03:54 PM

Bought my pass. First time ever going to the expo.

Hopefully the parkopedia info is up to date.

#43 of 86 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,068 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 05 2013 - 09:03 PM

I'll be there two nights for four films, on Sat 9/7 and Thu 9/12 Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Brandon Conway, September 05 2013 - 09:03 PM.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#44 of 86 Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris

Supporting Actor

• 709 posts

Posted September 06 2013 - 09:46 AM

From yesterday's (9/5/13) Los Angeles Times:

http://www.latimes.c...0,1693936.story

#45 of 86 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,230 posts

Posted September 06 2013 - 02:03 PM

Please be sure to look for Jack Theakston, Greg Kintz and I. We'll be at nearly every show.

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#46 of 86 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,068 posts

Posted September 06 2013 - 04:27 PM

Please be sure to look for Jack Theakston, Greg Kintz and I. We'll be at nearly every show.

I'll try to say hi between Creature and Jaws

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#47 of 86 bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted September 06 2013 - 11:49 PM

I don't know you personally, fellow HTF members attending the 3D Expo. Would enjoy it if some of you would come over, identified yourselves and chatted for a bit. This weekend I will be at every show. I'm easily recognizable because I get around using a walker, and am accompanied by two ladies sporting walking canes.

Jose

#48 of 86 revgen

revgen

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 12:18 AM

Too tired to post, but I willl say one thing. Hollywood is weird. The only time I felt normal was inside the Egyptian Theatre, which is probably a good thing, because it made the movies so much more enjoyable.

Well gotta go to sleep. Gotta wake up bright and early to attend the 11:00AM showing.

#49 of 86 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 01:06 AM

Hollywood is weird. That's the truth. I used to have an apartment in North Hollywood years ago and it was weird then, but it's even weirder now.  Did you see the adolescent girl in the sheer body stocking with the tatoos underneath? the body stockin had a hole cut over the belly-button to show offher pierce -- what wasn't she showin off -- from which hung down a chain  with a certain object danglin from it. She was chewing gum that made her lower face sway from side to side like a horse.

Anyhow, I was disappointed in the attendance. HONDo was about half-full, HOUSE OF WAX a litle more than half-full.

My misgivings about Real-D's DCP of HONDO were quite unecessary. The audience loved it.  It holds up well on the big-screen, even today and you can see why John Wayne was such a big star.  The DCP was 1.85 and excellent-- not film-like, but excellent, and superior to the 2007 screenings at the DGA and the Academy. Those were a different DCP. I enjoyed seeing Gretchen Wayne speak after the screening and thanked her for showing the film as she walked up the isle past my seat afterwards. She said that Paramount controls the blu-ray rights and if people want to see a 3-D blu-ray, talk to them.  Sounds like a noble mission for HTF to undertake. I borrowed a finger-sized camera to videotape Gretchen, but it wasn't built for my fingers. Will post the video here, such as it is, when I get home.

Bob F. worked the line. I think Jack Theacston was the gent in the suit, and no doubt Greg K was the gent with the camera.Tomorrow I'll say hello Jose, now that I know who you are.

Edited by Richard--W, September 07 2013 - 01:13 AM.

#50 of 86 Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 312 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted September 07 2013 - 07:09 AM

I was up for 23 hours yesterday, so I confess to struggling during House of Wax. But I made it! Ready for all day today. I hang in the balcony myself. For those looking for me, I'll be in an obnoxious salmon Hawaiian shirt and black shorts.

Hondo looked amazing btw. Glad I finally got to see it the way it should be.

For the record, the heart so far has been brutal. Hope it cools down some.

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#51 of 86 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,068 posts

Posted September 07 2013 - 11:36 PM

Greatly enjoyed the double feature tonight. Didn't get a chance to track you guys down due to trying to meet up with my friends but maybe Thursday if I make it.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

#52 of 86 bujaki

bujaki

Supporting Actor

• 597 posts
  • LocationRichardson, TX

Posted September 07 2013 - 11:43 PM

Richard__W,

Glad to have met you today. Trying to have a conversation during the hectic weekend screenings is hard. We'll connect during the week and discuss Emilio Fernandez, George O'Brien, and the 3D films.

I haven't seen anyone else getting around with a walker, so I can be recognized quite easily, HTF members!

Jose

#53 of 86 revgen

revgen

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted September 08 2013 - 12:35 AM

@Richard - Never saw the girl. But I was asked by multiple cigarette addicts if I had a "smoke" on me. I just ignored them and pretended like I couldn't hear them.

Anyhoo, I fell asleep part-way through Bwana Devil. I can't say I'm upset, because it wasn't a very good movie despite it's reputation for starting the Hollywood 3D craze. The original 1950's print they showed was a bit faded too.

The Euro 3D lecture was pretty interesting. Especially the footage of Nazi's shot in 3D. I also liked the footage shot in Vienna. Very sharp and very beautiful.

The Maze was a hoot, especially the "surprise ending".

Creature From the Black Lagoon was hands down the best 3D transfer shown tonight. Absolutely gorgeous.

Jaws 3D didn't look right to me at times. Sometimes I'd see two objects when there should only be one. It was still entertaining and worth the money, but not as good as Creature From the Black Lagoon.

Well, time to go to sleep again.

Edited by revgen, September 08 2013 - 12:49 AM.

#54 of 86 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted September 08 2013 - 12:49 AM

Jose, it was a pleasure meeting you, finally, on the rush to the good seats. Let's conect again when there's time to talk. The heat continues to exhaust me. I sought refuge in the Pig & Whiistle = ypu know, that place where Mr. Mulwray got into an argument with Mr. Cross -- but it doesn't have air conditioning. Cooler than outside, however.

I also enjoyed meeting Todd J. Moore and Greg.Kintz and look forward to chatting with both fine gentlemen again. Greg is shooting steresopic video and frames for the event using JVC's hi-def pro camera and doing an outstanding job. Greg really knows how to shoot. I hope he'll share some images with us on HTF.

The highlight of the day was a three-hour seminar on early European 3-D cinema by the scholar from Munich -- sorry I forget his name. He awed us all with his well-constructed authoritative lecture, and by projecting documents, research and video from his Mac onto the big screen. His presentation included stunning 3-D films from as early as 1891. That's right: 1891. His seminar gave us one revelation after another. I hope he makes a 3-D documentary someday very soon. He certainly masterd the images to go along with the text.

Once again Real-D rose to the occasion with deep, sharp, clean and well-defined transfers of Creature From the Black Lagoon and Jaws 3-D. Both transfers are problematic, however, with anomalies and convergence violations. Creature's problems could probably have been repaired digitally if Universal had hired someone who know what they were seeing and doing. Much has ben done to improve Jaws 3-D, but it still has significant problems and I suspect not all of them are repairable. I was reminded of what a lot of fun the film is. Stereopsis problems or not, Jaws 3-D is a good time at the movies

Once again Julie Addams charmed the crowd and gave each person who bought her new autobiography a quality personel chat; a very gracious lady.  Walter Mirisch remembered well how The Maze came about, and signed copies of his new autobriography.

The greatest pleasure of the day, however, was getting reacquainted with one of the unsung heroes of 3-D movies, the stereoscopic engineer John A Rupkalvis. He worked for StereoVision Internation in the early days, worked on JAWS 3-D and shot METALSTORM among others, designs and builds 3-D cameras, and has contributed stereoscopic science and technology to every level of the industry.

Edited by Richard--W, September 08 2013 - 12:55 AM.

#55 of 86 Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 312 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted September 08 2013 - 07:41 AM

I enjoyed meeting Richard W yesterday. I was hoping to meet Lea Thompson, but no dice. I even brought my Jaws 3-D gum cards in the hope of her signing. :(

The Maze is a great movie until out loses it at the end. I tried being menaced by the lions in Bwana Devil, but it just wasn't happening. The lecture was fascinating and I join Richard in hoping for a documentary being released. Creature is Creature. Saw it a kajillion times, still enjoy it. But the highlight for me yesterday might well be Jaws 3-D. For two brief hours, I was 12 years old again.

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#56 of 86 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,076 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted September 08 2013 - 08:08 AM

Got a favor to ask of anyone who was at JAWS 3-D:  A dear friend of mine is enamored of that film, as Todd is, above, and if there had been any way for her to fly out even to see just that one event, she would have.  Any comments on how that one went, who was there, etc., will be more appreciated than you can imagine!

#57 of 86 Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek

Producer

• 3,230 posts

Posted September 08 2013 - 08:18 AM

I'll be there for all the shows today. I'm wearing a red shirt. Please say hello!

Bob Furmanek

www.3dfilmarchive.com

Snipe_zpsa426c063.jpg

#58 of 86 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,457 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted September 08 2013 - 08:23 AM

I even brought my Jaws 3-D gum cards in the hope of her signing. :(

How crazy are the 3-D drawings on the back of those cards? Are they from an early draft of the script or just something someone at Topps made up for the cards?

#59 of 86 Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,581 posts

Posted September 08 2013 - 09:30 AM

I'm wearing a red shirt.

Don't beam down to an unknown planet. :)
  • Professor Echo likes this
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#60 of 86 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,068 posts

Posted September 08 2013 - 04:01 PM

Got a favor to ask of anyone who was at JAWS 3-D:  A dear friend of mine is enamored of that film, as Todd is, above, and if there had been any way for her to fly out even to see just that one event, she would have.  Any comments on how that one went, who was there, etc., will be more appreciated than you can imagine!

I enjoyed the experience as well as finally seeing the film in 3D, but there were lots of convergence issues, which I understand are mostly inherent to the way it was shot, especially with the studio demand to really push the positive pop-out effects (which were fun just for their audacity at times). The film does have some fun gags, such as the kids rushing for the spilled candy. I understand now why Universal may want to work to improve the various ghosting and convergence issues before releasing it on Blu-ray, but I understand why they may not want to invest in that, either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users