What's new

HTF Official WWDC 13 LIVE DISCUSSION Thread (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
wwdc13-about-main.jpg
Where Apple Stands
Over a million people a day visit Apple Stores.​
407 stores in 14 countries. Newest store just opened in Berlin.​
50 Billion Apps have been downloaded from the App Store​
There are 900,000 iOS Apps in the store available​
375,000 iPad apps in the store available​
The iMac is the #1 desktop in the U.S.​
The Macbook is the #1 notebook in the U.S.​
28 Million copies of Mountain Lion Shipped​
OSX 10: MAVERICKS
Finder Tabs: Tabbed finder. Multiple open finder windows can be instantly merged into tabs.​
Tagging: When saving documents (or other items) you can tag them for easy retrieval. Labels for your custom tags appear in finder sidebar for easy retrieval.​
Multiple Displays: You can get to your menus and docks across multiple displays. Spaces can be panned independently on each display. Mission Control is enhanced allowing windows and apps to be dragged across screens. Apps can be displayed full screen.​
Power and Performance Greatly Enhanced with App Nap and Memory Compression (among dozens of others)​
Safari has private browsing, blocking 3rd-pary cookies. Improvements in reading lists. Shared links across social sites. Huge improvements to Java Script. Background Tab optimization, Power Saver. Scrolling greatly improved -- super fast and smooth. One-Click Bookmarking.​
App Napp directs resources to windows that need it, thus substantially improving battery life.​
iCloud Keychain: Remembers website logins, credit card numbers, Wi-Fi numbers, etc. When you come to a site, it will always suggest the items you have saved for retrieval. Always encrypted. Safari will auto-suggest a password for you. All that encrypted information is synced across your Apple devices.​
Notifications: You can reply right inside notifications, including email, social networks, etc. You can even respond to Facetime directly from notifications. When you awaken your Mac from sleep, all your notifications you missed will show in lock screen. Apps also update while you sleep.​
Calendar: Facebooks event added to Calendar. Travel time to location and weather automatically added.​
Maps: New Maps App provides fly-overs, zoom-ins, turn-by-turn directions and the ability to send directions directly from desktop/laptop to iPhone.​
iBooks: Access to the full library of 1.8 million books in iStore. Pages are remembered across devices.​
Available This Fall. Developer Preview Available Today
Macbook Air
New Haswell Technology​
11-inch Macbook Air has 9 hours Battery Life (starts at $999 128GB)​
13-inch Macbook Air has 12 hours Battery Life (starts at $1099)​
Flash is 45% Faster. 802.11ac Wi-Fi Networking (up to 3x Faster)​
AVAILABLE TODAY
Airport Extreme
802.11ac​
Airport Time Capsule​
Simultaneous dual-band​
2TB or 3TB Hard Drive​
Sneak Peek: Mac Pro
Unified Thermal Core​
New Generation Xeon​
ECC memory 1866MHz DDR3 four-channel controller​
PCIe flash​
Thunderbolt 2 (20Gps throughput)​
Dual Workstation GPUs standard​
Supports up to 3x4k displays​
HDMI Out​
1/8 the volume of the previous generation Mac Pro​
Coming Later This Year
iWork for iCloud
Create beautiful documents through your web browser from the iCloud page (instead of a native app)​
Images can be dragged from desktop into iWork template in browser​
Word documents can be dragged into iWork and edited in Pages​
Spreadsheets can be updated directly through web browser​
Keynote Presentations can be re-arranged, have new slides and images added.​
Documents can be opened and edited in Windows browsers as well.​
Supports Safari, IE and Chrome​
Public Beta Later this year
iOS 7
Biggest change to iOS since introduction of iPhone​
As you move device in hand, it tracks your motion.​
Full edge-to-edge design across retina display​
Weather greatly enhanced with forecast animations and pinch that gives you overview of all your cities​
Calendar is greatly improved with cleaner interface and enhanced scrolling through dates​
New gesture allows you to operate phone with single hand​
Mail features new gestures and edge-to-edge photos.​
Notification center has a new TODAY view​
Notification is available from Lock Screen​
Control Center: Swipe up from bottom of device to get to your most used switches, music and even a flashlight. Available from Anywhere​
Multi-Tasking: for all Apps with great battery life: intelligent scheduling, opportunistic updates, adapts to network conditions, coalesced updates. Push triggers. Simple swipe across everything that is running.​
Safari: New Full-Screen Look. New Smart-Search field gives you quick access to all your favorites. New tabbed view. iCloud keychain and parental controls. Improved Bookmarks and Shared Links. Ability to see open browser tabs on other devices.​
Airdrop: Easiest Way to share photos with people around you -- even multiple people. No bumping phones.​
Camera: Swipe from video camera, to photo camera, to square camera, etc. Built-in filters.​
Photos App: Photos organized into moments. Photos automatically sorted into locations added via GPS. You can even quickly browse photos through the years (broken down into each). Photos can be shared via email, iCloud, social networking. Photo streams can be shared via iCloud. Video can be shared through iPhone photo sharing as well.​
Siri: New soundwave across bottom of screen. New voice sounds more human-like. Choose from female or male voice, and in different languages. Siri can now control your device from playing last voicemail, to increasing screen brightness. You can even access Twitter and Encyclopedias through Siri.​
iOS in the Car: Eyes-Free control in the car. Will be introduced into vehicles in 2014​
App Store: Search for apps based on age range. Find apps based on current location (such as city sport, shopping, travel apps). Apps in app store are now updated automatically. No manual updating.​
Music App: Artist images in library. All of iCloud purchased music is available. All your movies and TV shows from iCloud are available as well.​
Activation Lock: New theft deterrent. If a thief tries to turn off Find My iPhone or tries to wipe device, he will not be able to use that device without personal password.​
iTunes Radio
Built into iOS music App in iOS7, iTunes on Your Mac, and Apple TV​
Featured Stations (such as 90s Dance Party, Summer Songs, etc.)​
You can share stations with friends or create new stations based on favorite songs​
The ability to play more songs like this or never again play certain songs​
Keeps track of all your played songs via History.​
Purchase songs directly from iTunes Radio​
Free with ads, or free for iTunes match subscribers
Available for Developers in Beta TODAY for iPhone. Final Release This Fall

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This event will be streamed LIVE on Apple TV.
This event will also be streamed LIVE online. Point your web browser here.
Breaking News will be posted in the first thread (above) as they are announced.​
Looking forward to member discussion as these announcements occur (below)​

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Keynote looking great on a 60" display via Apple TV. Welcome Everyone!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I cannot think of any time in history, outside of today, where an Apple Demo failed on stage.. yes, it ended up working, but that really uncomfortable lag when the car thing didn't respond was wow. OSX Mavericks.

The Adoption rate comparison to Windows was funny :) "Only 10% adopted Windows 8" , which, 10%=larger than the entire installed Mac user base, so not really a comparison

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I'm hoping they roll out some actually hardware, because so far, I'm not seeing much impressive. "tag support in finder" We just finished getting rid of tagging systems for heuristics elsewhere (Linux) is this suddenly in again?

OpenGL4 isn't new anywhere else; multi-monitor support is neat, but again, everyone else does it too..

I'm not seeing revolution here. I'm waiting for a new piece of hardware: MacPro or iPad or something :)

Tim Stevens (Engadget) notes this:
[43453] Currently, Mac writes inactive apps to the disk. In Mavericks, it will compress those apps into memory. 1.4x performance improvement over Mountain Lion, even with an SSD.
Ok.. and there are performance benefits, but apps that use a lot of clipboard/memory space already are going to need some super high memory macs to pull this feat off.. I'm thinking everyone using Premiere, etc.. I wonder if this is something that is going to be app by app support

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Can't say I'm a fan of the first iteration in the naming convention. It's supposed to refer to a surfing locale (which I've never heard of), but I immediately think of a basketball team or the McCain/Palin campaign.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I tended to immediately think of Sarah Palin also.

So far, I'm not seeing much that makes me go "holy cow".. but something might break out here.. a lot of this seems like catchup stuff

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am impressed. Love the new maps app.

Just wish there was another overhaul of MAIL. Still the least inspiring app on the Mac.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think these are all decent upgrades that need to happen; just nothing earth shattering.

Mavericks will be released "late fall".. so, October or so, I guess. I was kind of expecting after all this demo for them to ship today

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
New MacBook Air. Intel Haswell based, 4th Gen CPU, better energy saving, new Intel 4600 graphics, all day (12 hours) battery life

11-inch with 128GB starts at $999. 13-inch with 128GB is $1099.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
New Airport Extreme 802.11ac.. wow is that a terrible design for a wireless base.. who thought that up.. 4" wide and 7" tall?

Mac Pro gets a refresh

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Everything external. Boots and runs off internal PCI-E Flash drive, Thunderbolt2 for all external based devices... 4K support, dual AMD FireGL Controllers for video

4 USB 3.0, 6 rear thunderbolt.. it is TINY, about 1/4 the size of MacPro now.. cannot be internally expanded.. a Q4 release (not released today, but by the end of the year)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
OK, the Mac Pro is kind of nuts in terms of the size reduction from the longstanding design.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Cameron Yee said:
OK, the Mac Pro is kind of nuts in terms of the size reduction from the longstanding design.
It is very bold; but it's cylinder design makes me think of an aluminum trash can.

The bigger concern is that the cost to add all items externally will be far greater than just slipping in a bare SATA drive, etc.. you're going to need a SATA Drive + a Thunderbolt enclosure + a thunderbolt cable (or USB3)

But it is the most revolutionary thing they've shown today; we'll know more when it ships in 6 months ;)

Will be manufactured in the USA.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Car head unit coming bout into select 2014 vehicles. App Store changed. New App Store auto updates all ups (ugh, thinking of all the times an update screwed me..)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks