Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

CBS Press Release: Bonanza Season Six Volume One & Two

Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,278 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 08:46 AM

Bonanza_S6V1_DVD_Front.jpg Bonanza_S6V2_DVD_Front.jpg
BONANZA
The Official Sixth Season - Volume One & Volume Two

Synopsis:
One of the longest running and most popular television Westerns of all time returns whenBonanza: The Official Sixth Season, Volume One and Volume Two collections both arrive on DVD this July. The hit series stars Lorne Greene as wise patriarch Ben Cartwright who, alongside his family, maintains their vast timberland ranch in the midst of dangerous and lawless 19th century Nevada. Life is anything but ordinary in the High Sierra for Ben and his three sons, Adam (Pernell Roberts), Hoss (Dan Blocker), and “Little Joe” (Michael Landon), as action and adventure puts personal relationships and emotions to the ultimate test. Fans can enjoy all the adventures and drama with these new Bonanza collections. 

Special Features: 

• Special Cast Promos – Experience restored visual elements accompanied by original narrations from the cast on several fan-favorite episodes including “Old Sheba,” “Invention of a Gunfighter,” and “The Wild One.” (Volume One)
  • Audio Commentaries  Join Richard and Esther Shapiro, creators of Dynasty, as they provide insight on their episode, “A Dime’s Worth of Glory” from the hit series. In addition, DVD Executive Producer Andrew J. Klyde, reflects on the episodes “Between Heaven and Earth” and “Old Sheba.” (Volume One)
  • Excerpts – Harmonize with Michael Landon as he sings Nathaniel Shilkret and Gene Austin’s 1920s standard, “Lonesome Road,” accompanied by Paul Lavalle conducting the Band of America. Also Lorne Greene performs his hit melody, “Ringo” and satirist Allan Sherman performs on “Allan Sherman’s Funnyland.” (Volume One)
  • Photo Galleries – Caught on camera, a look back at the show’s greatest moments including images of favorite episodes and the Cartwrights behind-the-scenes.   (Volume One and Volume Two)
    DVD Basics:
    • Street Date: July 9, 2013
    • Specifications: Full Screen Format, English Mono, and English SDH Subtitles
    • Rating: Not Rated
    • Runtime: Approximately 912 minutes (Volume One) / Approximately 811 minutes (Volume Two)
    • Suggested Retail Price: $46.99 U.S. each

Ronald J Epstein
    Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   jimmyjet

jimmyjet

Screenwriter

• 2,039 posts

Posted June 07 2013 - 09:46 AM

gosh, up to season 6.  what a great show !!

cant wait until it becomes a complete series.

i think this is the last season for adam ?

i am curious to see if they still plan to go beyond him, like they said ?

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted January 23 2014 - 06:10 PM

I hope season 7 gets announced soon. 

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Shatner's Grim Reaper

Shatner's Grim Reaper

Supporting Actor

• 565 posts

Posted January 24 2014 - 03:54 PM

Vol. 1 has several notable episodes..."The Flapjack Contest", "The Far, Far Better Thing", "A Knight To Remember", "Between Heaven and Earth",  "Invention of a Gunfighter", "Old Sheba" and "Woman of Fire". I laid down the cash for this set, Vol.1.  :D

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 06:08 PM

This sixth season was the first of three seasons that Bonanza was #1 in the ratings. Seasons 7 & 8 were the other seasons that it reached #1. 

It only took 2 years for Region 2 to get all 14 seasons released....wish we had a schedule like that here in Region 1.

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 555 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 06:52 PM

This sixth season was the first of three seasons that Bonanza was #1 in the ratings. Seasons 7 & 8 were the other seasons that it reached #1. 

It only took 2 years for Region 2 to get all 14 seasons released....wish we had a schedule like that here in Region 1.

But they aren't getting the re-mastered releases. In region 1 CBS took a lot of flack for the lack of quality in the season 2 release that wasn't re-mastered first. That's the quality region 2 got for all the seasons (at least any seasons released before CBS started re-mastering).

While it's taking longer, I'd rather have CBS continue going through the re-mastering process that typically is resulting in releases of around two seasons a year with the higher quality video.

• WadeM likes this

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 776 posts
    • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted January 26 2014 - 07:08 PM

But they aren't getting the re-mastered releases. In region 1 CBS took a lot of flack for the lack of quality in the season 2 release that wasn't re-mastered first. That's the quality region 2 got for all the seasons (at least any seasons released before CBS started re-mastering).

While it's taking longer, I'd rather have CBS continue going through the re-mastering process that typically is resulting in releases of around two seasons a year with the higher quality video.

Yes, the remastered episodes are pretty awesome looking.

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,177 posts
    • LocationSE Missouri

Posted January 26 2014 - 08:24 PM

CBS Syndication Bible says the following. Looks like they have plans for it further. I've bolded the important parts:

The information in this package is subject to change and was last updated 01/22/14.

This series has been partially transferred into HD and has the following masters:

Network 4x3 HD (Seasons 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. Season 8 in progress. Season 2 not in HD at this time.)

• WadeM likes this

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 555 posts

Posted January 26 2014 - 09:48 PM

CBS Syndication Bible says the following. Looks like they have plans for it further. I've bolded the important parts:

I think we will see both seasons 7 and 8 before the year is out.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,177 posts
    • LocationSE Missouri

Posted January 26 2014 - 09:53 PM

I think we will see both seasons 7 and 8 before the year is out.

I certainly hope so. I'm probably in the minority but I prefer the "lost" episodes over the earlier ones. I have hope they'll finish up the whole series in the next few years.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted January 27 2014 - 08:27 PM

I wasn't aware of that...and I absolutely agree.

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Silverking

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 12:50 AM

I wasn't aware of that...and I absolutely agree.

The UK releases , put out as a partwork, are indeed old unremastered prints.The German releases are much superior though & there is no notable difference between them & the US release..

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 555 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 02:42 AM

The UK releases , put out as a partwork, are indeed old unremastered prints.The German releases are much superior though & there is no notable difference between them & the US release..

Really, so the German release of season 2 is then superior to the US release of season 2? I know the US release of season 2 was not re-mastered. I ask because there is a definite difference to me between the video quality of the re-mastered seasons in comparison to the one not re-mastered season 2 in the US releases. Do you see a difference?  Jut trying to see what "no notable difference" might me to you in relation to what I am seeing since I don't have the German releases.

I also had previously picked up a few of the later Rawhide seasons from R4 when it looked stalled in the US. They weren't bad, but when I compared season 5 R4 to season 5 R1 re-mastered I could see a difference and prefer the re-mastered R1 release.

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Silverking

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 07:42 AM

I was comparing S1 (German release) against S1 (US release)which is the only one I have both of ,to do a direct comparison.

Of the others I have seen of both regions I didn't notice any great difference.But not done any side by side comparisons.

The US release scores of course, in terms of extras. Also the initial first 7 seasons released in Germany were double sided discs,(DVD 18's) though I believe the re-releases are now single sided.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Ponderosa Pete

Ponderosa Pete

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 04:17 PM

. . ."no notable difference." I respectfully disagree. All official DVD sets of episodes of BONANZA released in region one (North America) by CBS Home Entertainment (CBSHE) were remastered in High Definition (HD) from 35mm film elements, with the exception of BONANZA: The Official Second Season. (I suspect the reason for this is many second season episodes have lapsed into the public domain, and CBSHE did not want to create an HD master source for bootleggers who could release such episodes on DVD without fear of reprisal. Plus the sales numbers for season one may have been lower than expected, so CBSHE was trying to cut its production budget.)

All other episodes (released on DVD in Germany, the U.K., France and elsewhere) have the same source material if they were released prior to the region one sets' releases -- standard definition (SD) masters created in 1988-1989 for "The Lost Episodes" television broadcasts. Likely these non-region one DVD releases were "tweaked" digitally from the existing analog tape (1 inch) sources, but to say there's "no notable difference" between new HD transfers and 25 year old SD transfers is well, just not so.

Plus of course there are the fantastic extras contained in the N. American releases. I am unaware of any television series DVD collection with bonus material as extensive and impressive as with this title, especially considering CBSHE is up to season 6 (and bonus features rarely make it past the first season set).

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   smithbrad

smithbrad

Supporting Actor

• 555 posts

Posted January 28 2014 - 06:10 PM

I would agree about the differences between the R1 and R2 releases (re-mastered from 35mm elements vs. not re-mastered).  However, there might be another explanation as to why Chris might not have seen much difference between the season 1 releases. Checking the dates, the R2 releases of season 1 came out around two years after the R1 release. So quite possibly they were able to get the re-mastered prints for season 1. Season 2 would be a wash between them since they both used existing prints. However, by season 3 the R2 releases started being released before R1 which would indicate continued use of existing prints.

Also, I have my own theory for the releases before re-mastering. Bonanza season 2, Rawhide season 4, and Hawaii Five-O season 10 were all released within around 10 months of each other, and none went through the re-mastering efforts. I think they were trying to speed up the release schedule, possibly due to complaints about how slow the releases were coming out, executive order, or potential backlog in the process. In any case, once done they took flack for the reduced video quality and apparently went back to re-mastering first.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Silverking

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted January 29 2014 - 02:52 AM

Well, opinions will differ. To be clear my comparison was not done in any great depth & was comparing the first German release of S1 to the remastered US release S1. I also had a conversation with Andy Klyde, the Bonanza attorney , who is one of the driving forces behind the US releases & has done commentaries on some of the released episodes. His view was  there was only marginal difference in quality between the two.

I should also mention that the R2 releases in the UK are not the same as the German.

The UK prints are markedly inferior.

At some stage I will have a more in depth viewing & report back.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paramount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users