Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Twilight Time Announces Releases Sept/Oct/Nov, 2013

Twilight Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#101 of 218 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted June 13 2013 - 07:20 AM

My Cousin in Rachel looked terrific even upscaled from DVD. So that title definitely has a leg up if TT ever decides to take it to Blu-ray. 

Very Good movie too. Olivia de Havilland walks a fine, fine line all the way through.

My Cousin Rachel is one of my favourite films. I think I enjoy it even more than Rebecca.

I'd love a Blu-ray release and would buy it in an instant.

#102 of 218 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted June 13 2013 - 04:17 PM

Any possibility Twilight Time could do something with John Huston's comedy BEAT THE DEVIL ? United Artists distributed it theatrically in 1953, but Columbia had the home video rights for a long time. Don't know who controls the film now. TCM airs a lovely print every couple of years.

BeatTheDevil-1953-UA-one.jpg

• JoHud likes this

#103 of 218 OFFLINE   davidHartzog

davidHartzog

Second Unit

• 481 posts
  • Locationupstate NY

Posted June 13 2013 - 05:17 PM

Watched TT's excellent Bluray transfer of The Only Game on Town, a somewhat underrated George Stevens film, with Taylor and Beatty, both at their best.
Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown.

#104 of 218 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,886 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 14 2013 - 12:16 AM

Any possibility Twilight Time could do something with John Huston's comedy BEAT THE DEVIL ? United Artists distributed it theatrically in 1953, but Columbia had the home video rights for a long time. Don't know who controls the film now. TCM airs a lovely print every couple of years.

Isn't "Beat the Devil" in Public Domain purgatory? 

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#105 of 218 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,222 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 12:20 AM

Watched TT's excellent Bluray transfer of The Only Game on Town, a somewhat underrated George Stevens film, with Taylor and Beatty, both at their best.

Mine's on the way! Can't wait!

#106 of 218 OFFLINE   Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 12:56 AM

Isn't "Beat the Devil" in Public Domain purgatory? 

I don't know. There are many poor-quality public-domain editions being sold, but that could be based on a misunderstanding.

TCM has an excellent transfer that blows the public-domain DVD's away.

#107 of 218 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 14 2013 - 03:28 AM

Does Twilight Time only have a three year licence for the films from Sony, if so that means that Fright Night, as one example, could be back on sale as early as Xmas 2014, is that correct or am i wrong. ?

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#108 of 218 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,149 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted June 14 2013 - 11:12 AM

correct
  • FoxyMulder likes this
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#109 of 218 OFFLINE   Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen

Supporting Actor

• 501 posts

Posted June 14 2013 - 11:41 AM

A related question is what happens to the unsold discs?  Do they revert back to Sony or does TT keep them until they are sold out?

#110 of 218 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,535 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted June 14 2013 - 02:18 PM

For those who chose the Amazon.de route for Oliver! and The Way We Were, Oliver! is confirmed to be region A/B/C.  It cost me US$18, shipped.  The Way We Were, which originally had a release date of Tuesday slipped to October 17, still almost a month before the TT release.

• David Weicker and lukejosephchung like this

#111 of 218 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,258 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted June 14 2013 - 02:46 PM

I also have "Sleepless In Seattle", "The Wild One", "The China Syndrome" and "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?" being shipped to me via this method...looking forward to checking of these out when they arrive next week!!!

#112 of 218 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,178 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted June 14 2013 - 08:09 PM

My Cousin Rachel is one of my favourite films. I think I enjoy it even more than Rebecca.

I'd love a Blu-ray release and would buy it in an instant.

I can understand that Andrew. This movie was new to me and something of a revelation...top tier gothic/mystery/romance storytelling with impeccable B&W production values, sourced from an element still in very nice, clearly underused condition.

So beats me why Fox never got around to it themselves on either DVD or Blu-ray - someone at the studio must have evaluated its video potential strictly on its original boxoffice performance, rather than quality of the work itself. Released in '52, just prior to the introduction of Deluxe color and 'Scope, My Cousin Rachel did not do particularly well theatrically, but as a kind of 'last hurrah' for the studio's vintage B&W production machinery, it was just about as good as the classic monochrome Academy form would get in American film:

3658a.jpg

No doubt many have resisted this TT DVD edition simply because it's in SD. Valid enough in 2011 when it was released, and even more so now. And yet like you, I'd gladly buy it again on Blu-ray simply because it's such a shrewdly conceived and richly executed golden era style picture. In terms of its filmmaking craft, no poor cousin to Du Maurier's Rebecca at all, and perhaps even a classic as well when viewed under its own light...

• Andrew Budgell likes this

#113 of 218 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,886 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted June 14 2013 - 09:58 PM

For those (with multi-region capabilities) who missed out on "My Cousin Rachel" from Twilight Time, you can check out the DVDs recently released in the UK and Australia....  :)

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#114 of 218 OFFLINE   SeanAx

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator

• 126 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted June 17 2013 - 06:15 PM

"Drums Along the Mohawk" was restored by The Film Foundation a couple of years ago. The print (35mm) that I saw glowed. It was beautiful! I can only assume that Twilight Time will be using that restoration for their Blu-ray. Given their track record, this could be one of the discs of the year.

• JoHud likes this
Sean Axmaker
Videophiled, the home video column of Cinephiled (http://www.cinephiled.com/)
Editor of Parallax View (http://parallax-view.org)
Member of the Online Film Critics Society (http://www.rottentom...com/author-229/)

#115 of 218 OFFLINE   Virgoan

Virgoan

Second Unit

• 321 posts
  • LocationOakland CA

Posted June 18 2013 - 08:52 AM

No, Criterion released the 1950's original.  Twilight Time will be releasing the 1988 remake.

And at a much higher cost!

#116 of 218 OFFLINE   Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted June 18 2013 - 09:31 AM

I would love to finally see a proper release for Beat the Devil. The existing editions feature no restoration and are apparently all missing footage of a particular scene long unavailable (perhaps never available) on home video. It would be great for that to be rectified as Devil is one of the few "A" Bogarts still waiting to be done right.

And yes, it's in the public domain.

#117 of 218 OFFLINE   McCrutchy

McCrutchy

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, USA

Posted June 24 2013 - 10:30 PM

Anyone have any knowledge regarding whether the extras from Jane Eyre will be ported over?

I would fully expect so. TT have been porting extras for a while now, and they were personally involved in the extras for Fox's Jane Eyre DVD:

• Commentary by Welles biographer Joseph McBride and actress Margaret O'Brien
• Commentary by Nick Redman, Steven Smith and Julie Kirgo

• Isolated Score

• Featurette: Locked in the Tower: the Men Behind Jane Eyre

So unless the featurette was produced by a third party, all of the Fox DVD extras are pretty much guaranteed to be on the TT Blu-ray.

Personally, I saw this version of Jane Eyre when I was very young, and I fell in love with it, so I'll probably have to pick this one up, since Fox doesn't seem to be in a hurry to get their titles out internationally.

#118 of 218 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,871 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted June 24 2013 - 11:55 PM

"Drums Along the Mohawk" was restored by The Film Foundation a couple of years ago. The print (35mm) that I saw glowed. It was beautiful! I can only assume that Twilight Time will be using that restoration for their Blu-ray. Given their track record, this could be one of the discs of the year.

This was shown in HD on one of the UK TV stations recently and it looked fabulous.

#119 of 218 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,446 posts

Posted June 26 2013 - 09:55 AM

I got The Way We Were from Amazon.it and can confirm it plays in Region A (North America). When purchased with six other Sony blu rays it cost about $10 per film.

#120 of 218 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,258 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted June 26 2013 - 01:35 PM

I got The Way We Were from Amazon.it and can confirm it plays in Region A (North America). When purchased with six other Sony blu rays it cost about $10 per film.

Thanks for the report on this title...I've ordered multiple copies of this for myself and friends who are big fans of Barbra and this classic tearjerker!!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Twilight Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users