Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Twilight Time Announces Releases Sept/Oct/Nov, 2013

Twilight Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#41 of 218 OFFLINE   kingofthejungle

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 09:15 AM

The French Carlotta BD of Violent Saturday looks superb, has optional subtitles, and some pretty terrific extras (in English to boot!). It's also cheaper than the Twilight Time disc, even with shipping. Unless you're locked into Region A or absolutely must have the isolated score, it's hard to imagine a reason for waiting on the TT disc.
  • Robin9 likes this

#42 of 218 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,172 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted June 07 2013 - 06:29 AM

Not sure what you are saying., I was defending Twilight Time from an earlier post saying that Fox is giving them poor elements of films instead of releasing them themselves. Which in fact Fox and Sony are sending outstanding transfers.

VIOLET SATURDAY was at the beginning of the program and as the owners of Twilight have indicated, it was a learning curve. IMHO you do not release widescreen title unless it is anamorphic. To me it is a poor transfer and element. If it is released in Blu correctly then I will purchase it.

Actually, I was just expanding on your post ahollis, not really repudiating it. And it was also written in haste, so I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been about the transfer of Violent Saturday for Twilight Time's DVD. You're correct; it wasn't a great transfer, being both SD and letterboxed, but the "source element" Fox was working from - the film itself - did seem to be in very good shape, which is the only thing that made this letterboxed DVD even watchable. So not an ideal presentation, but at least a reassurance that Fox had something pretty decent to go back to for a new HD harvest and transfer.

And you're also correct, by the year 2011, buying a letterboxed  transfer of a 'Scope title on DVD was a non-starter for most serious fans and collectors, which is no doubt why this title has languished in sales. Still of value for its Friedhofer IST, but I hope it does get redone for Blu.  

• ahollis likes this

#43 of 218 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,838 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 07 2013 - 06:32 AM

Actually, I was just expanding on your post ahollis, not really repudiating it. And it was also written in haste, so I probably wasn't as clear as I should have been about the transfer of Violent Saturday for Twilight Time's DVD.

Sorry I miss understood. We are on the same page on most if not all things. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Always enjoy your posts.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#44 of 218 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,172 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted June 07 2013 - 06:36 AM

Ditto. :B)

#45 of 218 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 393 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted June 09 2013 - 08:14 AM

Looks like there's something for everyone. My personal pick is Drums Along the Mohawk. Should look and sound great.

Yes!

Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#46 of 218 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 393 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted June 09 2013 - 08:20 AM

Of the six I've only seen Oliver! and I don't like it enough to own. I will have to try and see the other five before their release to see if I want them.

It was filmed in 70mm, So a good Blu-Ray transfer might be a buy for me.

Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#47 of 218 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 393 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted June 09 2013 - 08:26 AM

Ooh, The Other...a creepy psychological horror film.  Sign me up!

This is the one I rode across town to see, only to find the print never showed up!!! City bus rides are no fun.

#48 of 218 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 393 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted June 09 2013 - 08:29 AM

JANE EYRE!

Another Elizabeth Taylor film (okay, she wasn't even billed--but she's in it!) on Blu from Twilight Time!

Thanks, TT!! Now all we need are Suddenly, Last Summer and The Taming of the Shrew (Sony titles)!

Also "Ash Wednesday"

• Andrew Budgell likes this

#49 of 218 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 393 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted June 09 2013 - 08:34 AM

And remembering the grosses at the Theatres many people didn't then either

Croninberg's Fly remake was a hit. He remade Fly II also.

#50 of 218 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 393 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted June 09 2013 - 08:37 AM

No, Criterion released the 1950's original.  Twilight Time will be releasing the 1988 remake.

Which aint bad.

#51 of 218 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 393 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted June 09 2013 - 08:42 AM

The Danish BD has excellent sharpness and color but black crush in many scenes, as I mentioned earlier.  If they can tame that, they will have a very nice looking Blu-ray.

The last time I saw this on TCM it looked ok, but a little dark.

#52 of 218 OFFLINE   Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese

Screenwriter

• 2,628 posts

Posted June 09 2013 - 09:18 AM

It was filmed in 70mm, So a good Blu-Ray transfer might be a buy for me.

Oliver was filmed in 35mm Panavision and had 70mm blowup prints made.
"What we're fighting for, in the end...we're fighting for each other." - Col. Joshua Chamberlain in "Gettysburg"

#53 of 218 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,364 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 09 2013 - 09:49 AM

The French Carlotta BD of Violent Saturday looks superb, has optional subtitles, and some pretty terrific extras (in English to boot!). It's also cheaper than the Twilight Time disc, even with shipping. Unless you're locked into Region A or absolutely must have the isolated score, it's hard to imagine a reason for waiting on the TT disc.

This is so tiresome.  I just went to amazon France to see just how much cheaper.  The disc, which, when you put it in your cart is actually a bit cheaper than the listed price, is about fourteen euros - regular shipping is 8.50 euros - in US dollars that comes out to approximately $28.50.  So, yes, you're saving a whopping five or six bucks (with shipping) and not supporting a company that's been putting out catalog titles that no one else would touch with a barge pole.  It's amusing to watch the glee with which such posts as these are done.  

Edited by haineshisway, June 09 2013 - 09:50 AM.

• ahollis and lark144 like this

#54 of 218 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,015 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 09 2013 - 09:59 AM

This is so tiresome.  I just went to amazon France to see just how much cheaper.  The disc, which, when you put it in your cart is actually a bit cheaper than the listed price, is about fourteen euros - regular shipping is 8.50 euros - in US dollars that comes out to approximately $28.50.  So, yes, you're saving a whopping five or six bucks (with shipping) and not supporting a company that's been putting out catalog titles that no one else would touch with a barge pole.  It's amusing to watch the glee with which such posts as these are done.  

Bruce,

I'm not buying neither, but to be fair in this case, Violent Saturday DVD from TT is a non-anamorphic presentation of a CinemaScope film.  That little nugget is why I haven't bought that title from TT.  As to the French release, I never heard of that company so I'm not sure of the PQ of that BD so I won't be buying that release either.  I can only hope that TT or Fox revisit this title for a BD release and do so with a proper widescreen presentation that is not 4 x 3 letterbox.  Also, the TT DVD is 19.95 plus shipping which is cheaper than the French BD in my estimate.

• ahollis likes this

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#55 of 218 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,364 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 09 2013 - 10:30 AM

Bruce,

I'm not buying neither, but to be fair in this case, Violent Saturday DVD from TT is a non-anamorphic presentation of a CinemaScope film.  That little nugget is why I haven't bought that title from TT.  As to the French release, I never heard of that company so I'm not sure of the PQ of that BD so I won't be buying that release either.  I can only hope that TT or Fox revisit this title for a BD release and do so with a proper widescreen presentation that is not 4 x 3 letterbox.  Also, the TT DVD is 19.95 plus shipping which is cheaper than the French BD in my estimate.

Sorry I wasn't clear - TT is releasing a blu-ray of Violent Saturday - that's what the poster I was responding to was talking about.  Wasn't talking about the DVD at all - that was from their self-admitted learning curve and they learned quickly not to do that again.  The transfer on the Carlotta is very nice just as that very same transfer will be very nice on the TT blu-ray release.  The poster to whom I was responding was gleefully cheering how much cheaper it is to get the Carlotta blu-ray - I don't consider five or six bucks that much "cheaper."

#56 of 218 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

ๆ˜ ็”ปใƒ•ใ‚กใƒณ

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 09 2013 - 10:39 AM

Not sure what you are saying., I was defending Twilight Time from an earlier post saying that Fox is giving them poor elements of films instead of releasing them themselves. Which in fact Fox and Sony are sending outstanding transfers.

VIOLET SATURDAY was at the beginning of the program and as the owners of Twilight have indicated, it was a learning curve. IMHO you do not release widescreen title unless it is anamorphic. To me it is a poor transfer and element. If it is released in Blu correctly then I will purchase it.

There is no anamorphic on blu ray, do you mean they released it in pan and scan. ?

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#57 of 218 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,364 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 09 2013 - 11:37 AM

It's coming on Blu.

• ahollis likes this

#58 of 218 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,838 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 09 2013 - 11:53 AM

There is no anamorphic on blu ray, do you mean they released it in pan and scan. ?

I was referring to the DVD that Twilight released a couple of years ago. Twilight has indicated they plan to revisit the title as a Blu. The DVD was widescreen non-anamorphic.

Edited by ahollis, June 09 2013 - 11:56 AM.

"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#59 of 218 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

ๆ˜ ็”ปใƒ•ใ‚กใƒณ

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 09 2013 - 11:54 AM

I see, well they wouldn't get away with that on blu ray, i'm sure it will be a good release and original aspect ratio.

Edited by FoxyMulder, June 09 2013 - 11:56 AM.

• ahollis likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#60 of 218 ONLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,838 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 09 2013 - 11:58 AM

I see, well they wouldn't get away with that on blu ray, i'm sure it will be a good release and original aspect ratio.

They learned their lesson quickly and immediately announced they will not release a title unless presented correctly.

If it is anything like their past Blu-ray releases it will be very good

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Twilight Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users