Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Twilight Time Announces Releases Sept/Oct/Nov, 2013

Twilight Time

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
217 replies to this topic

#21 of 218 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,989 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted June 05 2013 - 12:52 PM

Mindwarp from Twilight is laughable. Much more suited for Scream Factory. I look forward to watching people on here freaking out when it sells out and there's still copies of Major Dundee for sale... :D

#22 of 218 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,780 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 02:01 PM

The summer release list is much stronger IMHO; but I'm happy that some folks are finding titles that hold their interest.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#23 of 218 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,999 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 02:42 PM

Drums along the Mohawk is essential for me.  My first Twilight Time purchase.

#24 of 218 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,999 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 02:51 PM

Anyone have any knowledge regarding whether the extras from Jane Eyre will be ported over?

#25 of 218 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,428 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 05 2013 - 03:34 PM

Drums Along the MohawkThe Way We WereOliver! and Jane Eyre are all definite buys for me.

#26 of 218 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 05 2013 - 04:50 PM

Drums Along the MohawkThe Way We WereOliver! and Jane Eyre are all definite buys for me.

Same four for me!

#27 of 218 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,210 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 06:54 PM

Have you all seen THE OTHER? It's a wonderful adaptation of Thomas Tryon's horror novel, directed by Richard (TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD) Mulligan. Wonderful (albeit short) score by Jerry Goldsmith, which I assume will isolated. This is a definite for me.

#28 of 218 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 07:40 PM

THE WAY WE WERE is also getting a German release next week.

I found out Philadelphia had a German release right after I got the Twilight Time one. So, I'm practicing my German! I've already ordered Tootsie....

• lukejosephchung likes this
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#29 of 218 OFFLINE   Lromero1396

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor

• 640 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 08:16 PM

I'm quite surprised that Drums, being a John Ford film, was sent to Twilight. Perhaps the elements are in poor shape. I guess this rules out any chance of a complete John Ford boxed set on blu; a fact which greatly disappoints me. Jane Eyre must have similar element problems. I mean, a film with Joan Fontaine and Orson Welles plus Liz Taylor with a Bernard Herrmann score would be good to have a wide release of. But, alas...

Boy, I was shocked to see Fox hand off Leave Her to Heaven, now Drums Along the Mohawk? What's next? I dread their next announcement...

#30 of 218 OFFLINE   John Hermes

John Hermes

Supporting Actor

• 777 posts
  • LocationLa Mesa (San Diego) CA

Posted June 05 2013 - 08:20 PM

I'm quite surprised that Drums, being a John Ford film, was sent to Twilight. Perhaps the elements are in poor shape. I guess this rules out any chance of a complete John Ford boxed set on blu; a fact which greatly disappoints me. Jane Eyre must have similar element problems. I mean, a film with Joan Fontaine and Orson Welles plus Liz Taylor with a Bernard Herrmann score would be good to have a wide release of. But, alas...

Boy, I was shocked to see Fox hand off Leave Her to Heaven, now Drums Along the Mohawk? What's next? I dread their next announcement...

The Danish BD has excellent sharpness and color but black crush in many scenes, as I mentioned earlier.  If they can tame that, they will have a very nice looking Blu-ray.

• Billy Batson likes this

#31 of 218 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,802 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 05 2013 - 08:32 PM

I'm not sure of one release, except VIOLENT SATURDAY, where Fox gave Twilight poor elements. It has been said that Twilight uses elements that are provided them by Fox and Sony and do not preform any restoration. I would guess Fox worked on those elements and due to the showing in the poll decided to give it to Twilight.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#32 of 218 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,428 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted June 05 2013 - 09:30 PM

Have you all seen THE OTHER? It's a wonderful adaptation of Thomas Tryon's horror novel, directed by Richard (TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD) Mulligan. Wonderful (albeit short) score by Jerry Goldsmith, which I assume will isolated. This is a definite for me.

I haven't seen it, but I think I'm going to check it out.  It's an "almost" definite fifth title for me out of this set.

#33 of 218 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,141 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted June 05 2013 - 10:12 PM

I'm not sure of one release, except VIOLENT SATURDAY, where Fox gave Twilight poor elements. It has been said that Twilight uses elements that are provided them by Fox and Sony and do not preform any restoration. I would guess Fox worked on those elements and due to the showing in the poll decided to give it to Twilight.

The source film element was actually pretty darn good ahollis, just transferred in legacy SD letterboxed form, which unfortunately had to be both upscaled and zoomed for a 16x9 HDTV...a twin handicap. Keep in mind though that this was one of TT's earliest DVD-only releases, circa early '11, before they had even released their first Blu-ray, so that was just the best that Fox had available at the time.  

IIRC, TT recently noted in passing on FB that Violent Saturday is one of their legacy DVD-only titles which they'd eventually like to take to Blu...especially now that a better HD transfer exists. So just a case of the timing vis-à-vis that original DVD release; nothing shoddy about the work Fox did with the source element, or what TT did with the encoding and IST transfer.

#34 of 218 OFFLINE   ROclockCK

ROclockCK

Screenwriter

• 1,141 posts
  • LocationHigh Country, Alberta, Canada

Posted June 05 2013 - 10:45 PM

I haven't seen it, but I think I'm going to check it out.  It's an "almost" definite fifth title for me out of this set.

The Other is a classically written, staged, performed, shot, and scored psychological 'mood piece' John...at once creepy, disquieting, tragic, and yet also somehow bittersweet nostalgic. 

Even though most would call this a 'horror' film, which I guess technically it is, there seems something else going on with Robert Mulligan's quietly assured filmmaking here. Somehow the word 'horror' just doesn't seem adequate to describe its cumulative effect ...it feels richer...more resonant...vaguely reminiscent of Jack Clayton's The Innocents or maybe Peter Medak's The Changeling in terms of style and tone.

And I cannot recommend Jerry Goldsmith's hauntingly beautiful score strongly enough.

Edited by ROclockCK, June 05 2013 - 10:46 PM.

• Richard--W likes this

#35 of 218 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,870 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 05 2013 - 11:48 PM

Right now, I only have three of those titles I need to buy once they become available Drums Along the Mohawk, Jane Eyre and probably The Way We Were with the latter for sentimental reasons.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#36 of 218 OFFLINE   Billy Batson

Billy Batson

Screenwriter

• 1,464 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted June 06 2013 - 04:54 AM

The Danish BD has excellent sharpness and color but black crush in many scenes, as I mentioned earlier.  If they can tame that, they will have a very nice looking Blu-ray.

I've seen Drums Along The Mohawk in HD on the telly, & it had the same black crush, esp. in interiors, anyone wearing something dark(ish), well it's just black. You get the idea of what it could look like on some exteriors. I can't see the TT release being any different, I suppose that's the only element Fox has got. It's a good western, but I think, minor Ford.

#37 of 218 OFFLINE   mac1165

mac1165

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 05:08 AM

Twilight Time has released some great titles, but I simply cannot afford to purchase all of those in which I'm interested.  Has anyone ever seen these titles available for rent?  Netflix and Blockbuster do not carry any of them. 

#38 of 218 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,802 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 06 2013 - 06:56 AM

The source film element was actually pretty darn good ahollis, just transferred in legacy SD letterboxed form, which unfortunately had to be both upscaled and zoomed for a 16x9 HDTV...a twin handicap. Keep in mind though that this was one of TT's earliest DVD-only releases, circa early '11, before they had even released their first Blu-ray, so that was just the best that Fox had available at the time.

IIRC, TT recently noted in passing on FB that Violent Saturday is one of their legacy DVD-only titles which they'd eventually like to take to Blu...especially now that a better HD transfer exists. So just a case of the timing vis-à-vis that original DVD release; nothing shoddy about the work Fox did with the source element, or what TT did with the encoding and IST transfer.

Not sure what you are saying., I was defending Twilight Time from an earlier post saying that Fox is giving them poor elements of films instead of releasing them themselves. Which in fact Fox and Sony are sending outstanding transfers.

VIOLET SATURDAY was at the beginning of the program and as the owners of Twilight have indicated, it was a learning curve. IMHO you do not release widescreen title unless it is anamorphic. To me it is a poor transfer and element. If it is released in Blu correctly then I will purchase it.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#39 of 218 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,802 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 06 2013 - 07:22 AM

The source film element was actually pretty darn good ahollis, just transferred in legacy SD letterboxed form, which unfortunately had to be both upscaled and zoomed for a 16x9 HDTV...a twin handicap. Keep in mind though that this was one of TT's earliest DVD-only releases, circa early '11, before they had even released their first Blu-ray, so that was just the best that Fox had available at the time.

IIRC, TT recently noted in passing on FB that Violent Saturday is one of their legacy DVD-only titles which they'd eventually like to take to Blu...especially now that a better HD transfer exists. So just a case of the timing vis-à-vis that original DVD release; nothing shoddy about the work Fox did with the source element, or what TT did with the encoding and IST transfer.

Not sure what you are saying., I was defending Twilight Time from an earlier post saying that Fox is giving them poor elements of films instead of releasing them themselves. Which in fact Fox and Sony are sending outstanding transfers.

VIOLET SATURDAY was at the beginning of the program and as the owners of Twilight have indicated, it was a learning curve. IMHO you do not release widescreen title unless it is anamorphic. To me it is a poor transfer and element. If it is released in Blu correctly then I will purchase it.

#40 of 218 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,529 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted June 06 2013 - 07:58 AM

Don't forget that at least Oliver! and The Way We Were are available from Amazon.de next week, for around $18 apiece.  I'm expecting them to be region free like Tootsie, which I got a couple of weeks ago.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Twilight Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users