Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

US TV Shipments Decline In Q1—But Prices Rise As Consumers Gravitate To Larger Screens

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

• 1,918 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted June 04 2013 - 07:42 PM

Shipments of television sets in the United States declined by 11 percent in the first quarter of 2013 compared to one year earlier, according to a TV Systems Intelligence update from information and analytics provider IHS. 

U.S. TV shipments dropped to 6.6 million units, down from 7.4 million a year ago in the first quarter of 2012. Liquid-crystal display televisions (LCD TV) decreased by 7 percent, while plasma plunged 39 percent.  Not looking good for Panasonic and I believe this Panasonic's last year to make plasma TV's.

The average selling price (ASP) for LCD TVs increased 3 percent, with supersized LCD TVs and LED leading the way

Supersized LCD TV sets larger than 50 inches accounted for 27 percent of U.S. LCD TV unit shipments in the first quarter, up from 15 percent one year before.  I guess I am spoiled as I would think "supersized" would be 65" and larger.

LED-backlit sets increased their share of U.S. TV unit shipments to 72 percent, up from 37 percent during the first quarter of 2012. LED sets accounted for 76 percent of total TV revenue, up from 52 percent, with Samsung and Vizio remaining the top US TV brands in Q1.

How many people have a display that is over 65"?  How many people intend to buy a display over 65"

Kevin Collins
To View My HD Collection Click Here

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users