Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: The Wizard of Oz 75th Anniversary (Blu-ray 3D)(Blu-ray)(DVD)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
296 replies to this topic

Poll: Which Version of Oz are you (or not) purchasing? (126 member(s) have cast votes)

What version of Oz are you (or not) purchasing?

1. I own the 70th Anniversary set and plan to buy the 75th Anniversary Set (10 votes [7.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.94%

2. I own the 70th Anniversary set and plan to buy the standard Blu-ray Edition (1 votes [0.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.79%

3. I own the 70th Anniversary set and plan to buy the standard 3D Blu-ray Edition (34 votes [26.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.98%

4. I don't own the 70th Anniversary set and plan to buy the 75th Anniversary Set (5 votes [3.97%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.97%

5. I don't own the 70th Anniversary and plan to buy the standard Blu-ray Edition (6 votes [4.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.76%

6. I don't own the 70th Anniversary and plan to buy the standard 3D Blu-ray Edition (10 votes [7.94%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.94%

7. I plan to skip Oz this time around altogether (60 votes [47.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 47.62%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 of 297 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,698 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted June 05 2013 - 07:14 AM

My course of action is not covered by the poll. I own the 70th Anniversary version and I plan to decide whether or not I will upgrade to the 75th Anniversary 2D version when I see some reviews comparing the two.

Same here.

#22 of 297 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,001 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 07:15 AM

My course of action is not covered by the poll. I own the 70th Anniversary version and I plan to decide whether or not I will upgrade to the 75th Anniversary 2D version when I see some reviews comparing the two.

Hopefully, you can vote then.

This thread isn't going anywhere.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#23 of 297 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,080 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 05 2013 - 07:21 AM

Yeah i'll wait before voting, i deleted vote for now, i'm a Libra, sometimes i'm just not sure which way to go.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#24 of 297 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,698 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 07:26 AM

For those of us not into 3D, this release is something of a head-scratcher.  It's only been a few years since the last ultimate release and there seems to be little reason to buy this title yet again.  I love The Wizard of Oz, but I'm done collecting that one.  I've got all the laserdisc releases and all the DVD and bluray versions.  It's time to move on to other gems from the golden age.  Give me a reason to buy it yet again, and I might reconsider, but right now, I'm focusing my BluRay dollars elsewhere.

But I'm glad the 3D angle is keeping this evergreen alive for new generations to discover, and for that, I'm not complaining about the time and money spent on it..

#25 of 297 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,001 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 07:28 AM

I am going with the 3D Blu-ray.  

At least it will contain the new transfer in both 3D and 2D.

Say what you want about Warner releasing this movie multiple

times on Blu-ray...

...at least the studio didn't force (as they have done in the past)

a "box of junk" down our throats.  I commend Warner for making

these under $20 Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray releases available to us.

And yes, there is much controversy over the studio being guilty

of blasphemy for creating a 3D release of Oz.  But quite frankly,

only the purists will really care (and I respect their stance), and

the general public will probably rush to buy it.  In fact, I think this

release could really help sell more 3D televisions.  There will be

much curiosity over what the studio has been able to accomplish

with this title.  

If enough care was put into its upconversion, it could look stunning.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#26 of 297 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,698 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 07:34 AM

I am going with the 3D Blu-ray.  

At least it will contain the new transfer in both 3D and 2D.

Say what you want about Warner releasing this movie multiple

times on Blu-ray...

...at least the studio didn't force (as they have done in the past)

a "box of junk" down our throats.  I commend Warner for making

these under $20 Blu-ray and 3D Blu-ray releases available to us.

And yes, there is much controversy over the studio being guilty

of blasphemy for creating a 3D release of Oz.  But quite frankly,

only the purists will really care (and I respect their stance), and

the general public will probably rush to buy it.  In fact, I think this

release could really help sell more 3D televisions.  There will be

much curiosity over what the studio has been able to accomplish

with this title.  

If enough care was put into its upconversion, it could look stunning.

But *will* there be a new 2D transfer in this release or is it just the old one carried over?  Not that there was much that was wrong with it, apart from that one glitch that a couple of people noticed.  I have no plans to buy a 3D television but I might check out the 3D version in theatres.

#27 of 297 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 43,001 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 07:39 AM

But *will* there be a new 2D transfer in this release or is it just the old one carried over?  Not that there was much that was wrong with it, apart from that one glitch that a couple of people noticed.  I have no plans to buy a 3D television but I might check out the 3D version in theatres.

I'll tell you what.

Give me a day to get an answer to you on that.

I think it's an excellent question and I believe I can

obtain an answer from the studio.

Ronald J Epstein

#28 of 297 OFFLINE   Doctorossi

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor

• 841 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 07:45 AM

Hopefully, you can vote then.

This thread isn't going anywhere.

Cool. I'll check back in after making my decision.

#29 of 297 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted June 05 2013 - 11:02 AM

Yes, I'll be able to cast my vote when I know that information, too

Thanks, Ron!

#30 of 297 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,663 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted June 05 2013 - 12:00 PM

While I have very little interest in seeing Oz re-invisioned in 3D, I might have considered it if they had made a special offer to get the 3D disc for $5.99 to anyone who had purchased the 2009 Blu-ray!  :D

#31 of 297 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,775 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted June 05 2013 - 12:25 PM

I'll have to read some reviews first to see if it's worth the investment after already springing for the expensive 70th anniversary edition. If it plays here in 3D, I may go see it in the theater before making a final decision, too.

I can't imagine what else could be added to a new documentary that we already haven't seen or heard in the others in previous editions, but, again, reviews should answer that for me, too.

#32 of 297 OFFLINE   Dee Zee

Dee Zee

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts
  • LocationFalls Church VA, USA

Posted June 05 2013 - 01:15 PM

I'm very interested in the reviews of the 3D version when it comes out.  And I'd get the basic blu version if there was some improvement over the 70th box set blu that I have.  That blu looked very good to me when it came out, my first blu ray.  Unfortunately for the theatrical which ordinarily I would attend but I'm out of the country at that time.

I can't remember the year, but Oz had a theatrical run about 10 or 15 years ago.   Does anyone remember that? Were there others in this century.

#33 of 297 OFFLINE   moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor

• 633 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted June 05 2013 - 01:22 PM

Ron, if you can, please ask them:

1. If they have restored Judy's line that has been missing since 1998. "Oh, Toto...Don't!"

2. If the glitch/glitches in Munchkinland have been fixed.

3. If the mono track is going to be lossless this time.

3. Anything else you can find out is icing on the cake!

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#34 of 297 OFFLINE   David Steigman

David Steigman

Supporting Actor

• 673 posts

Posted June 05 2013 - 02:01 PM

I haven't even opened my gift set yet - Its more for the sentimental value. I don't plan to wear the watch..its just a collectors piece for me...as is my 3 disc DVD set..I have the movie script as well that came with the big VHS set..I have a book...sheesh

When I watch Ill watch one of the blu rays...

I really am tempted by the 75th anniversary but do I need another gift set ? They take up a lot of room since I have WOZ, Gone with the Wind, Willa Wonka, Ben Hur, Planet of the Apes, Casablanca....they are just big ole sets :)

Im not interested in a 3D version of this...

Its the only movie that I have 4 versions of...and outside of Godzilla & King Kong , bought some collectibles for it...

#35 of 297 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 11,044 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 06 2013 - 05:29 AM

I own the 70th anniversary BD release without the box of trinkets, and unless the 2D version of this is a leaps and bounds better transfer (which I doubt), I will pass. I do not have a 3D setup, nor have any plans to upgrade to one, and have no desire to see this film in 3D anyway. The current transfer looks fine to me.

#36 of 297 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,262 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted June 06 2013 - 07:31 AM

I can't remember the year, but Oz had a theatrical run about 10 or 15 years ago.   Does anyone remember that? Were there others in this century.

My recollection is that the last theatrical run was in 1999, just before the first WB DVD came out.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#37 of 297 OFFLINE   Randal Gist

Randal Gist

Agent

• 40 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 09:27 AM

I own the original DVD release of The Wizard of Oz and the three-disc blu-ray edition. As much as I love this film, I see no need to repurchase--unless I win the lottery (in which case I would build a "real" home theater to replace my current, minimalist set-up.)

I am not a fan of boxed sets that take up space and contain a bunch of folderol that I will look at once and forget. Give me the film its best presentation. If the new blu is significantly better, I will consider it; but that is a wait and see.

I guess that I am a purist, because my reaction to a 3D convert is unprintable. It is a useless gimmick. But there you go.  Warners can do what they want, of course--just keep the original available. I don't like messing with existing films. House of Wax (which Warners will also be releasing) is different of course, because it was shot to be in 3D.

#38 of 297 OFFLINE   moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor

• 633 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted June 06 2013 - 11:08 AM

The last theatrical release, not counting the one night only 2009 showing, was in 1998 for the 60th Anniversary. Dye transfer prints were struck in the 1.33 ratio for a limited number of theaters, while other theaters received Eastman prints windowboxed in a 1.85 frame. I saw both, as I worked at the cinema at the time. I did the promotion for the film for our theater....the entire hallway was decorated with trivia, photos, a replica pair of slippers, etc. This is the release that introduced the audio edits that have yet to be corrected (Judy's partially excised line, extra chicken sounds, etc.)

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#39 of 297 OFFLINE   Garysb

Garysb

Screenwriter

• 1,566 posts

Posted June 06 2013 - 02:14 PM

I plan to see it in Imax. No plans to purchase the Wizard or any other 3D movie.

#40 of 297 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 26,193 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 06 2013 - 02:31 PM

I plan to see it in Imax. No plans to purchase the Wizard or any other 3D movie.

Interesting, you're going to view it in 3-D in a movie theater, but you have no plans to ever purchase a 3-D movie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users