What's new

WHV Press Release: House of Wax (3D Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
house.jpeg

HOUSE OF WAX DEBUTS IN 3D™ ON BLU-RAY!
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Celebrates Film’s
60 Years with Newly Restored and
Remastered Version October 1
Includes New Featurette, 2D version, and Original 1933 Film

Burbank, Calif., June 3, 2013 – On October 1, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will celebrate the 60th anniversary of House of Wax with a stunning new restored and remastered High-definition 3D Blu-ray™. In 1953, the film was the first color 3D feature released by a major studio. The huge hit also marked Vincent Price’s first major starring horror role and changed the course of his career. Thanks to advanced technology and the expert work of Warner Bros. Motion Picture Imaging (MPI), audiences will now be able to enjoy the classic mystery shocker as it was originally seen in theatres. The Blu-ray ($39.99 SRP) will include a new featurette, “House of Wax: Unlike Anything You’ve Seen Before” and Mystery of The Wax Museum, the original 1933 film on which House of Wax is based. A 2D version of House of Wax will also be included.

Originally designed to lure audiences away from their TV sets, 3D utilized a “left-eye/right-eye” dual projection process and polarized glasses, the basis for what is seen today. MPI’s work on House of Wax includes a 4K scan, and a full restoration of the two “eyes,” as well as perfect 3D image alignment.

House of Wax was a major box-office success when it was released in 1953. If adjusted to today’s gross, it would have brought in more than $401 million, placing it among the top 100 highest grossing films ever.* It no doubt paved the way for a 3D boom over the next several years during which 50 3D features and some two dozen shorts and cartoons were released.

The film was directed by André deToth, an unlikely choice to direct a 3D film as he was blind in one eye and unable to properly see the effects he created. Besides Price, House of Wax additionally features Frank Lovejoy, Phyllis Kirk, Carolyn Jones, Paul Picerni and a young actor named Charles Buchinsky, who would later become known to audiences worldwide as Charles Bronson. Screenplay is by Crane Wilbur. Brian Foy produced.

The Warner library has the largest number of classic 3D titles (15) of any studio, and now that the technology has been perfected, the studio looks forward to re-introducing them to home audiences. The long-awaited, much requested release of House of Wax is the second classic 3D film the studio has released on Blu-ray, following last year’s release of Dial M for Murder.

Synopsis
Professor Henry Jarrod is the owner and figure sculptor in a wax museum whose specialty is historic figures. When he and his business partner, Matthew Burke quarrel over the choice of exhibits displayed, Burke suggests it would be more profitable to burn down the museum in order to obtain the insurance money. As they fight, the museum burns and Jarrod is left for dead. It’s not until much later at a new museum that the fate of Jarrod and the mystery of how the lifelike waxed figures are created becomes gruesomely evident.

Special Features

[*]Expert Commentary
[*]"House of Wax: Unlike Anything You've Seen Before! “ ALL NEW!
[*]"Round-the-Clock Premiere: Coast Hails House of Wax"
[*]"Mystery of the Wax Museum" [1933 WB Feature]
[*]Theatrical Trailer
[/list]

HOUSE OF WAX BLU-RAY 3D
Street Date: October 1, 2013
Order Due Date: August 27, 2013
Rating: NR
Feature Run time: 88 mins.
Pricing: $35.99 SRP
Cat: 1000413340

Note: All enhanced content listed above is subject to change.

*B.O. figures from www.boxofficemojo.com

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
bluirv said:
Warner Home Video has announced that the 1953 horror classic House of Wax in Blu-ray 3D is coming Oct. 1.

Three featurettes:
1) House of Wax: Unlike Anything You've Seen Before!
2) Round the Clock Premiere: Coast Hails House of Wax
3) Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)

Darn--When are we going to get Lumber Jack-Rabbit? :(

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
awaiting the press release, to find out about Mystery, hope it is a HD presentation, this would make a damn fine 2 disc set

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
It would be nice if they'd give this one a theatrical re-release through Fathom or someone else. I know OZ is getting re-released but I'd rather see a real 3D movie.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
Michael Elliott said:
It would be nice if they'd give this one a theatrical re-release through Fathom or someone else. I know OZ is getting re-released but I'd rather see a real 3D movie.
The new 4k restoration on which this blu-ray is based will be screened at Hollywood's Egyptian Theater for its World 3-D Expo III Film Festival, scheduled for Sept. 6-15th...I would be very surprised if Warner doesn't release this theatrically like they did "Singin' In The Rain" last year during Halloween season!!!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
revgen said:
Is Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933) a new HD transfer or just the old SD transfer?
Most likely the old SD transfer like most of the extras Warner's ports over. Too bad Warner didn't use this opportunity to port over some 3D shorts like Lumberjack Rabbit, Third Dimensional Murder, or the Popeye 3d cartoon if possible. Still, this is a must buy.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Michael Elliott said:
Here! Here!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
TravisR said:
Just a guess but I'd say it's going to be SD (like the preview version of Strangers On A Train was).
I also agree that it will most likely be SD. Extra feature films on Warner BD releases have typically been SD, such as Ben-Hur (1925) (on Ben-Hur (1959)), The Wizard of Oz (1925) (on The Wizard of Oz (1939)), The Invisible Boy (1957) (on Forbidden Planet (1956)), etc.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
TravisR said:
Just a guess but I'd say it's going to be SD (like the preview version of Strangers On A Train was).
Also like the silent version of Ben-Hur. It seems WB never updates the "bonus" movies or shorts except on a few rare cartoon instances. I also think it will just be the same old transfer in SD. Though a man can dream...

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
lukejosephchung said:
The new 4k restoration on which this blu-ray is based will be screened at Hollywood's Egyptian Theater for its World 3-D Expo III Film Festival, scheduled for Sept. 6-15th..
That's just preaching to the choir--Wax is most people's synonym for "Cool 50's 3-D", so it'd be an easy mass-market sell as a Fathom promotional reissue....Assuming Fathom CAN do Real-3D?

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Warner seems to be saying that the other 3D movies will be released, very good news. I'd think that Warner thinks this package is strong enough not to need the 3D shorts, I'm sure they'll turn up with one of the other films. I'm not too bothered about Mystery, as the transfer on DVD looked really ropey, & if that's the best (only?) element they have, then the DVD will do. With the Vincent Price Box coming from Scream, & who knows what coming from other studios, there could be a few treats this halloween.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Will this be the special "Paddle-ball" edition of HOUSE OF WAX? Even Wal-Mart might stock that.I'd like to see THE MAZE and THE MASK released on 3-D/2-D Blu-ray.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Can't get here fast enough for me. It was the first 3D movie from the Golden Age that I was able to see (not during its original release; during the 1980s revival), and it holds a special place in my heart. It's also a very fun movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks