Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

WHV Press Release: House of Wax (3D Blu-ray)

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#41 of 119 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,153 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 01 2013 - 11:44 PM

Six rolls of film scanned at 4K and then restored/aligned for flawless 3-D and people still find something to complain about!

People are never completely happy as there is always something that will continue to bug them.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#42 of 119 Todd J Moore

Todd J Moore

Second Unit

• 312 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted July 02 2013 - 02:23 AM

I'm personally loving the cover. That's pretty sweet looking.

Viewing a 3D movie in 2D is kinda like viewing a Scope movie in Pan and Scan.

#43 of 119 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,153 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 02 2013 - 02:31 AM

By the way, it's up for preorder at Amazon.  If people expect more 3-D releases from the 50s then I hope enough of them buy this title to show Warner there is a profitable market for these releases.

Crawdaddy

#44 of 119 Yorkshire

Yorkshire

Screenwriter

• 1,229 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 03:02 AM

I think the extras will be included with a 2-D version of the feature on one bluray (This is the one ClassicFlix will rent out), while the 3-D version will have its own disc.

attachicon.gifhouse-of-wax-blu-ray-ad.jpg

I think it's hilarious that the first of the 4 pics at the bottom is the 'paddle ball' sequence - as if anyone needed reminding.

People are never completely happy as there is always something that will continue to bug them.

Quite agree.  I can understand people looking at a cover and commenting that they like it.  But the amount of complaining that goes on - you'd think everyone framed all of the Blu-ray Disc as artwork on their living room walls, rather than standing them sideways up on shelves where it's impossible to see.

And yet strangely enough, it's relatively rare for people to complain about the one thing they will see regularly - the writing on, and design of the spine.

Artwork horrors or otherwise, I'm all over this one.  A decent horror film of its time, and an interesting artefact in cinema history with its use of 3-D.

Steve W

Correct a fool and he will hate you, correct a wise man and he will thank you.

#45 of 119 EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor

• 608 posts
  • LocationHull, Yorkshire

Posted July 02 2013 - 04:40 AM

Six rolls of film scanned at 4K and then restored/aligned for flawless 3-D and people still find something to complain about!

As great as I'm sure the 3-D experience will be, Mystery of the Wax Museum is the superior film. I wish it got a bit more respect.

edit: oh I think you were directing your comments to cover art complainers, nevermind!

Edited by EddieLarkin, July 02 2013 - 04:47 AM.

#46 of 119 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,078 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 02 2013 - 04:49 AM

By the way, it's up for preorder at Amazon.

I'm not finding it there. Do you have a link? Or am I not missing stuff because I'm on a smartphone at the moment?

#47 of 119 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,078 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 02 2013 - 04:52 AM

Well, apparently I can't even edit on this thing. (I was trying to delete the 'not' in that sentence.)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Theater Forum mobile app

#48 of 119 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,153 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 02 2013 - 04:54 AM

I'm not finding it there. Do you have a link? Or am I not missing stuff because I'm on a smartphone at the moment?

http://www.amazon.co...&keywords=house

Crawdaddy

#49 of 119 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,078 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 02 2013 - 05:08 AM

Thanks! Pre-ordering today!

#50 of 119 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,164 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted July 02 2013 - 05:40 AM

Yeah, those people are a pain.

But, what about the sound? 

1.1 mono with surround (thats what WB has for sound tracks)?

Same as old DVD (Chase Dolby Pro Logic)?

5.1?

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#51 of 119 Persianimmortal

Persianimmortal

Supporting Actor

• 834 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted July 02 2013 - 05:42 AM

I don't preorder anything anymore (no need to really, it's most likely only going to fall in price rather than rise, and it's not a limited edition), but I've added it to my cart, ready to buy it pending an initial review by Mr Furmanek.

#52 of 119 Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Supporting Actor

• 869 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 06:05 AM

Can't get here fast enough for me. It was the first 3D movie from the Golden Age that I was able to see (not during its original release; during the 1980s revival), and it holds a special place in my heart. It's also a very fun movie.

Mine too Matt, but my experience was probably different than yours.  I remember that revival well as it played at one of the movie theaters in my home town and I convinced my friends to come see it with me (we were in high school) and the one and only screening was an unmitigated DISASTER!  I don't know the specifics of the print they played or how it differed from the other 3D stuff shown there (I had previously seen my first 3D movie COMIN' AT YA! at the same theater and, while a TERRIBLE movie the effects were amazing from where I sat!) but it was constantly out of focus, way too dark and really really headache inducing.  To top it off, they were desperately trying to "fix" whatever was wrong while the show was going on so the brightness and focus kept changing erratically.  We had an intermission (I can't remember at this late date if it was planned or not) and when we came back in half of the movie was playing on the WALL!!  I felt SO sorry for them and could only imagine the poor projectionist sweating and crying up in the booth because it was going so very very wrong.  Once the movie was over, Mr Krause, who owned the theater, was waiting for the full house to exit so he could hand out complimentary movie passes and coupons for free popcorn  to everyone as they left.  Needless to say, the run was cut short right then and there!

#53 of 119 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 38,902 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 07:01 AM

39520_large.jpg

Now available for preorder

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#54 of 119 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,078 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 02 2013 - 07:15 AM

I never understand how these things won't come up in a search on Amazon.  This one still doesn't, though there must be some secret way of finding it.  Anyhoo, I pre-ordered!   :)

#55 of 119 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,840 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted July 02 2013 - 07:25 AM

no complaints, pre order complete, but I have to agree that I think personally that Mystery is the better horror film, pre code,  that pushed some boundaries. I hope that this does great numbers in the sales department, and that leads to more "Classic" 3D films getting released, Fox has a little "B" film with an "A" list cast that I would like to see get a similar treatment (ahem) Gorilla at Large. :D     

Edited by dana martin, July 02 2013 - 07:26 AM.

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#56 of 119 JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 1,746 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 07:38 AM

I'm personally loving the cover. That's pretty sweet looking.

I agree. The ad is great too.

#57 of 119 Charles Smith

Charles Smith

• 4,078 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 02 2013 - 07:43 AM

This cover is head and shoulders above most of the dreck we see now. And of course you have to emphasize the 3D. No complaints here.
  • FoxyMulder likes this

#58 of 119 bgart13

bgart13

Supporting Actor

• 850 posts

Posted July 02 2013 - 09:32 AM

I just think it's tacky to ...um... tack on 3D to the title when it states it's 3D already on the cover. It's a complaint as much of an observation, a relatively minor one at that. I will be buying it, but I'm in less of a hurry for two reasons:

1) I'm not 3D capable.

2) MYSTERY is the superior movie and deserved to be presented in HD with proper colors -- especially since blu-ray is a HD medium.

I get it that HoW is important for 3D fans and in getting older 3D films out, plus it'll help with the success of home 3D viewing. But I'd prefer them not to include MYSTERY if it's just going to be SD. Focus on HoW, spend the money and time with that, don't waste the space on MYSTERY. Let the Warner Archive do what they were originally planning, restore MYSTERY properly, then release it via their program at $20-30 a shot. This is my sole complaint with this, not the cover.

But what do I know?

Edited by bgart13, July 02 2013 - 09:34 AM.

• Danny Burk likes this

#59 of 119 FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 4,153 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted July 02 2013 - 09:37 AM

I just think it's tacky to ...um... tack on 3D to the title when it states it's 3D already on the cover. It's a complaint as much of an observation, a relatively minor one at that. I will be buying it, but I'm in less of a hurry for two reasons:

1) I'm not 3D capable.

2) MYSTERY is the superior movie and deserved to be presented in HD with proper colors -- especially since blu-ray is a HD medium.

I get it that HoW is important for 3D fans and in getting older 3D films out, plus it'll help with the success of home 3D viewing. But I'd prefer them not to include MYSTERY if it's just going to be SD. Focus on HoW, spend the money and time with that, don't waste the space on MYSTERY. Let the Warner Archive do what they were originally planning, restore MYSTERY properly, then release it via their program at $20-30 a shot. This is my sole complaint with this, not the cover.

But what do I know?

At the very least they should do a new encode using AVC so that we can upscale to the best possible quality, if they just recycle an old MPEG2 encode then it will likely look pretty poor, i wish we were getting it in HD too, it's a good film and deserves the HD treatment.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#60 of 119 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,840 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted July 02 2013 - 09:58 AM

Let the Warner Archive do what they were originally planning, restore MYSTERY properly, then release it via their program at $20-30 a shot. 

I buy that in a second!!!

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users